Arthur Rivers

Debutant
Mar 23, 2007
GOC
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
VDL Tigers, U.S. Mariners
Check out this ABC News story about one of our legends. His trials, triumphs and latest achievements. Well worth a read.

After seeing him on Sheahan's Open Mike last year, couldn't help but think if it wasn't time to bring Merv home.

He may not feel the need, and it may be hard to do with cut backs etc., but would love to see Merv come back home to the club in some capacity. Great man, great operator. Bring him home.

thanks Arthur for sharing this

I was in my teens when watching the Tiger dynasty during the 70's of witch Merv was a part of

they were heady days , the height of the Carlton , Collingwood , Richmond rivalry
we had premierships , brownlows , countless block buster games star players galore

in the earlier times was the "centre line from heaven" <I didn't make that up> Bourke , Barrott & Clay
all were very long kicks as per the Hafey desire and Francis Bourke and Dick Clay were young , tall , fast and very good overhead marks
both were going to become key defenders later on

we had Royce Hart and as a side show we had Neil Balme & Ricky Mac Lean

Kevin Bartlett seemingly cleaned up everything at ground level

Kevin Sheedy starting to emerge thru the 70's

down back we had the like of Bones McGhee , Rex Hunt , Barry Richardson

all big name players and there were more

Merv was the mr fix it what ever the stars didnt do he'd fill in the cracks , finding things that needed to be done and do them
and you'd tend not to notice him

dad and I did and eventually plenty of thers did to because of the volume of work he'd do

so not surprised to hear he is doing his talks to doctors , he's found something thats fallen thru the cracks and he's fixing it
and as a testimony to the inner strength of the man , I've seen a few times were parents have had to bury adult children
it totally shatters their lives , they are typically consumed by their grief and never seem to recover
so to hear how he is going is amazing and heart warming .... and he's a Tiger :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Merv Keane - ABC Story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back