Traded Michael Hibberd [traded to Melbourne with pick 59 for picks 29 and 68]

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, im not entirely sure our PR wing will be heading down the corridor to the list management offices to layout a strategy for trading

You may be right, but there's been many occassions where a footy department's desire to recruit a player has been overridden by the PR departments desire to not have the player's negative image at the club. Unfortunately, PR does have a say in hiring and firing in most companies.

Not sure who's suggesting he's been squeezed out, he's a walk-up starting 18 for Essendon or Melbourne.

Will be one of the first trades to go through (for Pick 26). Everybody wins.

Pick 26 is adequate IMO.

As for being squeezed out of Essendon's best 22 - he'd certainly be borderline.

Essendon is fairly well set in its defensive stocks. Would be behind Baguley for sure in that intercept defender role.

Assuming Hurley and Hartley start as our key defenders (Hooker played forward), you have Baguley, Ambrose, Brown, Walla, Gleeson, Francis, Kelly all in and around those defensive positions.

So yeah, he'd be certainly feeling pressure for his spot.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player, he's a very good player at his best.

I remember doing a list of the twelve suspended players some time back, ranking them in the order I valued their return to the club - Hibberd was 11 of 12 (ahead of Pears).

Seems like a win-win TBH. We get a handy second round pick, Melbourne gets a fit for need player.

Pick 26 is adequate IMO.

Essendon is fairly well set in its defensive stocks. Would be behind Baguley for sure in that intercept defender role.

Assuming Hurley and Hartley start as our key defenders (Hooker played forward), you have Baguley, Ambrose, Brown, Walla, Gleeson, Francis, Kelly all in and around those defensive positions.

I remember doing a list of the twelve suspended players some time back, ranking them in the order I valued their return to the club - Hibberd was 11 of 12 (ahead of Pears).

Seems like a win-win TBH. We get a handy second round pick, Melbourne gets a fit for need player.
i think he'd still start.
We'd likely consider only offering a spot to 1 of Kelly and Dea if he stayed. And we would likely shift Francis or Hooker forward. Preferably Francis to continue that Goodes/Hodge/Goddard development curve (fairly sure both began as forwards before becoming utility players).

Bags Hartley Hooker
Hibberd Hooker Kelly
would have been how i set it up.

3rd rounder should do it, Essendon didn't even try to keep him.

I don't want to be one of those 'bookmark it' kind of people, but I would be extremely confident that it will be a second rounder; and both parties will walk away happy.

The below has been suggested on BomberBlitz which seems reasonable to me:

Essendon -
Out: Hibberd
In: 20

Melbourne -
Out: Dunn, 26
In: Hibberd & 38

Brisbane -
Out: 20 & 38
In: Dunn, 26

For Melbourne that's effectively pick 38 for Dunn, I'd be very happy with that but it's paying overs for an older player who didn't crack a senior game this year

Not sure who's suggesting he's been squeezed out, he's a walk-up starting 18 for Essendon or Melbourne.

Will be one of the first trades to go through (for Pick 26). Everybody wins.

Essendon supporter LB#16, look on the first page, looks like he's now gone back and deleted his posts. A bit embarrassing really

The guys saying he's not in the bombers best 22 are wrong. If he stayed at the club he would be in the best 22.
I rate Hibbo higher than Melksham because unlike Melksham Hibbo is consistent. So if Essendon got a second round pick for Melksham I think the same for Hibbo is reasonable. I reckon Melbourne will see it that way too.

The below has been suggested on BomberBlitz which seems reasonable to me:

Essendon -
Out: Hibberd
In: 20

Melbourne -
Out: Dunn, 26
In: Hibberd & 38

Brisbane -
Out: 20 & 38
In: Dunn, 26

One small problem Brisbane have already traded pick 38 .... so back to the drawing board you go. Geelong own pick 38!!!!

Brisbane would actually love this deal they get to trade the same pick twice ....

The guys saying he's not in the bombers best 22 are wrong. If he stayed at the club he would be in the best 22.
I rate Hibbo higher than Melksham because unlike Melksham Hibbo is consistent. So if Essendon got a second round pick for Melksham I think the same for Hibbo is reasonable. I reckon Melbourne will see it that way too.

I dont think Melbourne do see it that way - Different draft, different year, different strategy, different objectives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think Melbourne do see it that way - Different draft, different year, different strategy, different objectives.

Agreed.

People seem to miss this a lot.

A pick one year is not worth the same as the pick of the corresponding number in any other year.

It's highly variable, depending on who is available in the draft, who holds the pick, what they want to do with it....

Having said that I suspect this trade will be as seamless as the Melksham trade. Second round pick for Hibberd.

One small problem Brisbane have already traded pick 38 .... so back to the drawing board you go. Geelong own pick 38!!!!

Brisbane would actually love this deal they get to trade the same pick twice ....
unacceptable. if anyone is the cheat here, its us.
Carlisle for pick 20!!!

i think more the Hibberd is worth pick 26, and Mahoney will generally throw a pick up for the player he wants.
He is a great list manager and generally doesn't mess around.

And for all the hullaballoo, Dodoro generally signs a deal of once he has an equitable rate for the player being given up.
We got Melksham done quick last year, I'm confident Hibberd will be the same

People are confusing Hibberd being replaceable and barely/not best 22.

He is replaceable, in so far as Essendon has other players who could do a decent job off half back. Would he, nonetheless, be in the best 22 if still at Essendon? Without any shadow of a doubt; comfortably so too.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

People are confusing Hibberd being replaceable and barely/not best 22.

He is replaceable, in so far as Essendon has other players who could do a decent job off half back. Would he, nonetheless, be in the best 22 if still at Essendon? Without any shadow of a doubt; comfortably so too.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think the fact HBF's are easily replaceable and plenty of good ones can be found late in the draft is why a 27 yr old is not worth a mid second rounder in a deepish draft. Same applies for Touhy who is of similar value, age and size (though he has played recently).

With Hibberd gone, Bags 29, Kelly old, Dempsey now over it, Ashby delisted, Gwilt delisted, we're actually pretty thin for small defenders. We've got Gleeson, McKenna (rookie), Morgan (paper hammies) and that's it unless Dea is picked up. We'll probably need to spend #26 on another half back flanker ironically.

Last edited:
Squeezed out via celery cap does not mean you're a vegetable, no, it means so much more.

It means you cost so much that your team can't keep you, regardless of you being a superfood.

With Hibberd gone, Bags 29, Kelly old, Dempsey now over it, Asby delisted, Gwilt delisted, we're actually pretty thin for small defenders. We've got Gleeson, McKenna (rookie), Morgan (paper ha miles) and that's it unless Dea is picked up. We'll probably need to spend #26 on another half back flanker ironically.
Straight swap for Milkshakes, I hear he's worth a second rounder

Pick 26 is adequate IMO.

I have no idea how you could possibly value Howlett ahead of Hibberd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Michael Hibberd [traded to Melbourne with pick 59 for picks 29 and 68]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back