Traded Michael Hibberd [traded to Melbourne with pick 59 for picks 29 and 68]

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be #26.

Still think Dodoro will strike the deal early but ask Melbourne if they can hold off until he checks to see if he can get something better via other teams (as in Hibberd still gets to melbourne but a third club is brought in) Melbourne will agree to give him some time. The media will blow up about Dodoro being difficult.

Finally it will come back to #26.

Entitled to your opinion, but that strikes me as odd. I don't think I ever drew up a list per se, but I reckon I would have had Hibberd about sixth in terms of importance of return (after the three Hs, Colyer and Myers).

Again, doesn't mean he's not replaceable to a large extent, but less important to retain than Stanton, or Howlett, or even Bellchambers? Nah.

I obviously don't know the Essendon list as good as some of you guys. But I would have thought he was closer to the middle of the list of the suspended guys.
At 27yo as of start of season, played 80 odd games I think he is a chance to be at the peak of his powers. Probably depends on how the 12 months out affects him.

Last edited:

I obviously don't know the Essendon list as good as some of you guys. But I would have thought he was closer to the middle of the list of the suspended guys.
At 27yo as of start of season, played 80 odd games I think he is a chance to be at the peak of his powers. Probably depends on how the 12 months out affects him.
Correct.

Entitled to your opinion, but that strikes me as odd. I don't think I ever drew up a list per se, but I reckon I would have had Hibberd about sixth in terms of importance of return (after the three Hs, Colyer and Myers).

Again, doesn't mean he's not replaceable to a large extent, but less important to retain than Stanton, or Howlett, or even Bellchambers? Nah.

I was a bit surprised by the realisation myself.

1-3 - Hurley, Heppell, Hooker

They were the top three needed back I would think. You should get near universal agreement of that, no matter what order you put them in.

4-5 - Myers, Colyer

4 and 5 I would think. Was really worried about losing both to WA clubs, both absolutely important.

6. Bellchambers

Here's where people will start to disagree I reckon. Good ruckmen are bloody hard to develop and find. Most people forget how good he was the last time he was injury free. I really rate him, both as a ruck and key forward.

7. Watson

I think this one has a lot of a tugging on the heartstrings, I want him back because he bore much of the brunt of the saga. But let's not forget, the bloke is an elite clearance midfielder and will be a handy resting tall too.

8. Hocking

Geez we miss him. Severely underrated externally, his big body and pressure makes a major difference to our midfield.

9. Stanton

A bloke that always needed to be the fifth or sixth midfielder in a side, but for his entire career has never had the opportunity. Will be interesting to see how he goes now that he finally gets that chance. Will be in the bottom three or four players in the senior side in 2017 you'd think.

10. Howlett

Now we're in to borderline best 22. Tackling pressure is great, but is clearly likely to be in and out of the side. My rational is it is better to have depth in the midfield than it is to have depth at half back.

11. Hibberd

For the reasons mentioned above in an earlier post, he is very clearly replaceable at Essendon. That is not meant to be a knock on him, he's a fine player, but I'm not sure he starts in our best side. How many running half backs do you need in the side? 2? 3? Baguley quite clearly starts ahead of him, so he's competing with the likes of Gleeson, Dea, Kelly, Walla for one or two spots. And that's not even considering how we decide to use Francis, Ambrose...

12. Pears

Was always gone, and very clearly not in our best 22.

The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. I rate Hibberd, I do, but I recognise that his spot is very clearly under pressure. It's why I think a trade is good for Hibberd, good for Essendon and good for Melbourne.

He's not best 22 in an inferior side, but we should feel lucky that we're only coughing up 26?

Inferior hey?

We'll see.

But yeah, an early to mid second rounder is a good price to pay for a player of Hibberds quality - and that's exactly what Melbourne will pay.

We beat you this year mete

I'm not normally a big believer in the 'we beat you therefore everything about us is better' school of thought (we did beat Hawthorn last year after all) - in a two horse race shit happens.

BUT having said that, if you are one of the three teams that managed to get bowled over by our patched up side you'd probably want to be a bit wary of throwing terms like 'inferior' around I would guess.....

In his position we have Dea (who we can pick up as DFA) and Tippa who are both capable of playing his position. Tippa is a better user of the ball which is a bonus. I am not saying it wouldn't sting, but honestly think we should get a pick between 15-26.
Dea has a 2 year deal on the table, just take 26 for Pig and move on quickly

Look, I'm happy to pay 26 for Hibberd if I'm Josh Mahoney - but think Jade has slightly undervalued him here.

Yeah possibly.

As I said, once it gets past that fifth player or so, opinions are going to vary. You've already had a couple Essendon posters disagree with me - and that's fine.

Reality is Melbourne will part with a second round pick, they'll get a very good player who Essendon has good coverage for.

It's a win all round there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A mid sized forward who can mark.
He is pretty much exactly what we need.
Daniher hooker Sicily Laverde Fantasia Colyer would be a well rounded forward line I reckon

Mid-sized forwards would have to be the least of our needs. Would rather just use the pick tbh.

Straight swap for Milkshakes, I hear he's worth a second rounder
He's both not as good, and not a defender.
In his position we have Dea (who we can pick up as DFA) and Tippa who are both capable of playing his position. Tippa is a better user of the ball which is a bonus. I am not saying it wouldn't sting, but honestly think we should get a pick between 15-26.
Walla couldn't get close to playing Hibberd's role. Although he can match Hibberd on rebound, he's nowhere near as defensive and not within a bulls roar of Hibberd in the air. Hibberd is that rare bird who is both defensive and attacking. Walla will be a forward, he started being found out when played back later in the season. But he'll be a fantastic small forward.

In Hibberd's position, under age 29 we have three unproven players - Dea, McKenna and Gleeson. Anyone thinking we wouldn't slot Hibberd straight in has rocks in their head.
He's not best 22 in an inferior side, but we should feel lucky that we're only coughing up 26?
Not best 22? He's finished 5th, 5th, and 10th the last three Crichton medals. How on earth wouldn't he make our best 22???
A mid sized forward who can mark.
He is pretty much exactly what we need.
Daniher hooker Sicily Laverde Fantasia Colyer would be a well rounded forward line I reckon
Laverde, Langford are both marking medium forwards. Redman may be one. Sicily is not a need. Inconsistent in the Hawks team.

Question for Melbourne fans. If the choice was either (a) Hibberd for #26, or (b) Hibberd + #37 + #55 + 2017 3rd rounder for #26 and your 2017 2nd rounder, which would you prefer?

Obviously downgrading your 2017 2nd rounder to a 3rd rounder isn't great, but it would mean this year instead of your first 3 live picks being #44, #62 and #80 (probably really around low 60's), they would be #37, #44 and #55.

Question for Melbourne fans. If the choice was either (a) Hibberd for #26, or (b) Hibberd + #37 + #55 + 2017 3rd rounder for #26 and your 2017 2nd rounder, which would you prefer?

Obviously downgrading your 2017 2nd rounder to a 3rd rounder isn't great, but it would mean this year instead of your first 3 live picks being #44, #62 and #80 (probably really around low 60's), they would be #37, #44 and #55.
I don't see too much benefit in us doing it. I'd say we could probably get some picks around 50 for JKH and Dunn. So we'll just have to hope we can find some gold. Jason Taylor had been pretty good with that.

Um, I know LB16 has Essendon as his team. I repeat my "rocks in the head" argument. ;)
I seriously question anyone saying a player who finished 5, 5, 10 in the B&F their last three years and is their prime years isn't a lock for the team. I don't think our opinions matter, or am too fussed others don't agree, but I do hold that view (on Hibberd) strongly.

in 2015 when he finished 10th in the B&F he played 4 more games than Merrett & Carlisle, 5 more than Zaka, 8 more than Dempsey, 10 more than Colyer, 11 more than Bellchambers, 12 more than Watson, 14 more than Fletcher, 16 more than Hocking, 19 more than Myers.
So pretty hard for him not to be 10th, when we had youngsters playing left right and centre.

I think much like Melksham when they play their best footy they both are excellent footballers, but both fell away in the last season they played at the Dons.
Actually I think Hibberd was affected big time by the saga and he looked really bad at times during the 2015 season, now everything is behind him I think he will come good again and play excellent for the Dees.

Quality is there.

It's funny how views vary across a supporter base. If Hibberd were to stay at Essendon I have him as clearly our 3rd best defender and with Hooker playing forward he'd effectively be our second best defender imo.

Hibberd for pick 26 will look an absolute bargain from a Melbourne perspective by mid season next year.

He's both not as good, and not a defender.

Walla couldn't get close to playing Hibberd's role. Although he can match Hibberd on rebound, he's nowhere near as defensive and not within a bulls roar of Hibberd in the air. Hibberd is that rare bird who is both defensive and attacking. Walla will be a forward, he started being found out when played back later in the season. But he'll be a fantastic small forward.

In Hibberd's position, under age 29 we have three unproven players - Dea, McKenna and Gleeson. Anyone thinking we wouldn't slot Hibberd straight in has rocks in their head.

Not best 22? He's finished 5th, 5th, and 10th the last three Crichton medals. How on earth wouldn't he make our best 22???

Laverde, Langford are both marking medium forwards. Redman may be one. Sicily is not a need. Inconsistent in the Hawks team.
7th in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Michael Hibberd [traded to Melbourne with pick 59 for picks 29 and 68]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back