GlovemanGayfer

Senior List
Oct 16, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Having added Morrison to our midfield we now have quite a bit of ball winning ability. Removing Bucks for now though we still miss that star polished player. I don't think however our situation is as dire as people make out, we now have Burns, Licuria, Woey, Morrison (and rarely o'bree) who are all 20 plus possesion players. We can accept that at times they will have a down games but we have enough seasoned heads to bring through some young players (shaw) and give them advice and protection in the midfield without having to rely on them for heaps of possesions. I think that the addition of Morrison is a sound one as it does add extra "grunt" depth into our centre which also allows burns and woey to play forward at times and licca to run of half back. Thoughts?

I expect to see a bit of B Shaw this year, also Cole and of course B Johnson and B Holland rotating through the midfield, and possibly cameos from Caracella if we pick him up. I havent written off R Shaw either, he's got genuine pace to burn. Its a good combination, we just need some youth to come through in the next 2-3 seasons to replcace all our 28 year-olds.

what are u talking about....how can you say that richard cole will be playing in the midfield.....there no no room for him and he is a disgrace ......bucks woe burns lockyer holland didak davis licca morrison ....how can you find room for cole with these players in our midfield mix?

Rotation. look it up in the dictionary. A modern midfield has about six players (two wings, centre, rover, tagger, and a roving HFF) plus another two on the bench.

Morrison will play a lot in defence and Davis will NEVER make the grade as a midfielder, and there's no point trying. Burns will spend a lot of time forward and Buckley will be the sweeper across half back.

ey mate...i kno what rotation is...but you cannot put richard cole in the midfield....he is a backman and thats all he will ever be....

Wait and see, he can be a creative player and might make a better tagger than Holland. Cole is more than just a back pocket.

He can and will play in the midfield.

His biggest asset is his toughness and ferocious attack on the footy.

He is not a natural backman and this is why he is criticised so often, because he was thrown into a position he has no idea how to play.

Richie's game is solely based around confidence and if he has some responsibility instilled in him by the coaching staff he will be a solid midfielder.

Big assumption to make that a 20 yrs old will only ever be a back pocket.
Iam sure many people would have had similar sentiments with BJohnson a couple of yrs back. Who would have tipped him for ten Brownlow votes!!!
Its called a players development and Cole although may need anothe year in the defensive caper, he will be primed for a midfield role.

tarrant said:
what are u talking about....how can you say that richard cole will be playing in the midfield.....there no no room for him and he is a disgrace ......bucks woe burns lockyer holland didak davis licca morrison ....how can you find room for cole with these players in our midfield mix?

You've already blown your cover as a Bumber supporter pretending to be a Magpie, so why dont you just give it up???? :rolleyes:

You cannot have too many midfielders.

IMO there are only 4 types of players:
rucks (1 player)
tall forwards (2 or 3)
tall backs (2 or 3)
everyone else is playing midfield & should be interchangeable. (15)

Small forwards/backs should be able to play midfield.

If small/medium size players are not good enough to rotate thru the midfield what are they doing on the list.

I understand it takes a while to build up the fitness to play midfield,
so 1st & 2nd year players excepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back