Mitch Morton

Remove this Banner Ad

Great kick, 50m + pass with both feet, one of the best kicks at Westcoast. Can play HFF, HBF, Midfield, Wing. Loads of potential however thinks hes god's gift and worth ethic may not be the best. The move will do him a world of good. Hope he turns out to be a gun for you.

• Banned
Great kick, 50m + pass with both feet, one of the best kicks at Westcoast. Can play HFF, HBF, Midfield, Wing. Loads of potential however thinks hes god's gift and worth ethic may not be the best. The move will do him a world of good. Hope he turns out to be a gun for you.
Thanks for that

Lazy, unaccountable, thinks he's gods gift to football, arrogant, runs forward of the play, refuses to go back, expects to do a Harry Houdini every time, and gets caught every time.

Saying all of that, extremely talented, but no work ethic. Typical of todays youth, expects everything handed to him on a silver platter without putting any work in. A typical spoilt little brat.

Get your hands on the WAFL GF this year. He was so unaccountable and wouldn't chase, it would honestly (and view the GF if you don't believe me) the most insipid and heartless game by a player in a long, long time.

Basically dropped his bundle because he didn't get picked in Collingwood final. Didn't even rock up to the club awards.

Maybe in Melbourne, being a nobody, will kick him into gear.

Sorry the above sounds so depressing.

Good luck with him.

It doesn't help when he brings a WAFL mind set to an AFL game.
Didn't seem to click to him that he isn't Judd and can't just take guys on when he gets the ball.
MORE footy will iron out some minor issues and he'll be a regular player. Just wasn't getting the "more" footy at the eagles.
If he doesn't get 22games in 08, I'd expect that perhaps 2009 he'll play every game for richmond (which is 22 games) :)

Thanks, West Coast fans, for your candid (and not stupid, pointless) responses...

So, basically, the deal is that he has the talent, but has been a ****wit in terms of effort and humility.

I suppose the Richmond FC realises all of this, but hopes that they can turn him around (maybe with him realising that he is on what is perhaps his last chance).

The only thing that worries me is that if he can remain a headcase while surrounded by champion players and trainers like Judd and Cousins, that no-one we have can give a better example. Maybe getting the message that West Coast want rid of him will do the trick.

Worth a gamble at pick 35 if he has the basic chops, I guess...

Yeah, thanks for that West Coast supporters. Been getting a lot of opposition supporter crap here lately as you can imagine, but not from you guys. :thumbsu:

A few weeks slogging it about at Coburg might iron out his attitude, otherwise he can piss off back to Perth.

Typical Generation Y by the sounds of it.

Get your hands on the WAFL GF this year. He was so unaccountable and wouldn't chase, it would honestly (and view the GF if you don't believe me) the most insipid and heartless game by a player in a long, long time.

Basically dropped his bundle because he didn't get picked in Collingwood final. Didn't even rock up to the club awards.

Perhaps this was because he had already 'commited' to leaving for Melb. Didn't want to be there. Therefore that ONE game has absolutely zero usefulness in assessing his ability or motivation to succeed. Sounds to me he didn't give 100% because HE believed he should have been playing for WC every week. So this is a poor attittude, but since there is a good chance he will get a game every week with us, he should give that extra effort to reach the potential he obviously has. Once established in the team, there will only be upside to his development.

See guys, some of us are half glass full type of people;) Cogs will be twisting and turning out of packs feeding the pill to McMahon who will streak down the wing drilling Morton who turns and on the left and spears Shuuuuulz, who calmly goes back and thumps it through! Browny and Richo have their hands up saying my turn next! Lids and Bling are already waiting in the centre for the next clearance:D

Edit..wow I sound like Parrot...apologies!

Perhaps this was because he had already 'commited' to leaving for Melb. Didn't want to be there. Therefore that ONE game has absolutely zero usefulness in assessing his ability or motivation to succeed. Sounds to me he didn't give 100% because HE believed he should have been playing for WC every week.
That's a completley different way of looking at it, and god damn it, you make a lot of sense.

Has talent in spades (and silky / sublime skills), no doubt about it. Just needs a spark to get him going, moving to Richmond may do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps this was because he had already 'commited' to leaving for Melb. Didn't want to be there. Therefore that ONE game has absolutely zero usefulness in assessing his ability or motivation to succeed. Sounds to me he didn't give 100% because HE believed he should have been playing for WC every week. So this is a poor attittude, but since there is a good chance he will get a game every week with us, he should give that extra effort to reach the potential he obviously has.

If he believed he should be playing for WC every week, he is probably a numbnut, given the talent and application at that club. If you think that you are shit-hot as a youngster, and yet are surrounded by real stars like Cox, Judd, Cousins, etc., then you are delusional.

WC is a top team, chock full of talent, and guys who go hard at it in training.

Why is he going to turn around in attitude just because he is getting a game with a much more shithouse team?

Hopefully, he isn't going to come here with the attitude that "Now I am out of West Coast, I will immediately command a place in this shit team".

Hopefully, he has gained some maturity by his failure to make the grade at West Coast, and will apply himself to make the best of his talent here.

Hope he does well at Richmond. I'm a fan of him. Very classy flanker/outside midfielder, very good foot skills on both sides, reads the play well and plays with a bit of arrogance - was disappointed it didn't work out for him at WC.

Playing AFL every week will no doubt help him and if Richmond draft Cale that should give him some extra motivation.

Hope he does well at Richmond. I'm a fan of him. Very classy flanker/outside midfielder, very good foot skills on both sides, reads the play well and plays with a bit of arrogance - was disappointed it didn't work out for him at WC.

Playing AFL every week will no doubt help him and if Richmond draft Cale that should give him some extra motivation.[/quote]
I was about to say the same thing. He might not come straight into the team but no doubt will be there before the end of the season. Should be good to have.

I'm happy to have a kid with a bit of arrogance. @ WC there's not a lot of room for him to be up himself. We need all the arrogant pricks we can get. Connors, Jack, Jackson now Morton. Building a bit of attitude. About time. If he wants to think he's damn good then Richmond the place to do it since he will be better than most. At WC he's near the bottom.

I have been talking Mitch up for a few weeks now and am STOKED to have him at tigerland!

Was rated alongside Deledio,Tambling,Griffen,Smith,Lewis as the best midfielders in the 04 draft.
I rekon the dawks would've picked him at 7 instead of Lewis if he was avaliable.

i personally love the way he plays the game and as stated before is an awesome kick on both feet.
Him and Lids will run amuk as they are similar players....obviously he isn't as quick as Lids but he can cover the ground no problem at all.
In the games he played this year i think he kicked 9 goals 1 and had a kicking efficancy of around high 80's.....not 100% on that,just going from memory!

He will be a great pick up for us and regardless of Cale being at our side or not he will be given the opportunity to play regular seniors and will not have a problem taking it and running with it!

Good article in today's The Australian

Morton can earn his stripes with Tiger mates

MITCH MORTON could not fill a trifecta with the number of Richmond team-mates he knows personally, but it is a safe bet he will be embraced when he arrives in a fortnight for his first pre-season session with the club.

Mitch Morton kicks at goal. Picture: Michael Klein
The welcome will not be due entirely to the talent the former West Coast player will bring to Richmond's forward line from next season.

Morton, a cousin of champion jockey Damien Oliver, can expect more than just a slap on the back given he will start his career at Punt Road right in the middle of Melbourne's spring carnival and could spark several friendships with some choice tips.

The star hoop, a fanatical West Coast fan, has already called the former Eagle to pass on his congratulations despite his cousin's defection.

Morton said yesterday he would love to attend the carnival at some stage.

But the focus will be on making an immediate impression, with the 20-year-old planning to seek out an old AIS team-mate for some early advice on his arrival in Melbourne.

"I don't really know many of the players, so that will be interesting, but I know Brett Deledio," Morton said in Perth yesterday.

"I was in the AIS with him when I was 17, and I got on pretty well with him. I will give him a call to say 'g'day' and hopefully go and do a bit of training or something before the season starts."

While Morton may be linked to horse racing through Oliver, it was the constant uncertainty surrounding his spot in the West Coast side that prompted the move to the Tigers.

The 185cm forward has always shown promise but was unable to find a regular slot in the West Coast attack, with eight games this year taking his tally to 12 in three seasons at Subiaco Oval.

Morton, who settled down to a battle with Mark LeCras and Steve Armstrong for the forward pocket spot the Eagles have struggled to fill since the retirement of Phil Matera, started well when given his chance in round eight, kicking three goals against Melbourne.

But Morton's fate at West Coast was sealed when he was replaced by Chris Judd for this year's qualifying final against Port Adelaide despite kicking three goals a week earlier against Essendon in what turned out to be his last match for the club.

"At the end of the day, I just felt like the opportunities weren't really here for me at West Coast," he said.

"I felt as if I was rolling the dice a bit, I guess, on whether I would get a game, so I am just seeking new opportunities really.

"The last three years I have played some good footy, and a lot of other young guys have as well, and they haven't got opportunities, so I certainly don't hold that against anyone at West Coast.

"I guess in that game I made way for Juddy, so you can't whinge when you've got Chris Judd coming back into the team."

A dinner meeting in Perth with Richmond coach Terry Wallace and conversations with football manager Greg Miller convinced Morton that his future lay in Melbourne, with relationships closer to home also likely to make it easier for him to settle in at Punt Road.

Morton, who grew up in Lake Grace, about 350km south-west of Perth, spent some time this season roaming Richmond's Bridge Street shopping precinct and Victoria Street eateries while visiting his younger brother Jarryd, who lives in the area after being drafted by Hawthorn last year.

There is also a strong chance his youngest brother, Cale, who starred with Claremont's junior team this year, could end up at the Tigers given the expectation he will be selected by Richmond at pick two in next month's draft.

Morton yesterday welcomed that prospect, albeit with a caveat.

"It would be nice, but he would probably take my spot," Morton joked.

"I think as a family we are not expecting Cale to go to Richmond. He will just be hoping to get drafted, to be honest.

"Anywhere he goes, he will be stoked to get that opportunity."

Nor does Morton believe he has sacrificed his chance at playing in a premiership despite moving to a team that has not made the finals since 2001.

"(Playing in a premiership) was a factor in my decision, but when I looked at the Richmond list and talked to Richmond, I certainly think that their list, or our list I should say now, isn't far away at all," he said.

"We have obviously just recruited Jordan McMahon as well, who is a fantastic asset to have at the club as well.

"So, to be honest, I don't think we are that far away at all."

If we draft Cale at #2, it will be the 3rd set of brothers to don the Tigers guernsey in recent times. Brendan and Michael Gale are the obvious choice as best - particularly during the moderately successful '95 season! I would be absolutely stoked if Mitch and Cale played for our beloved club with the same intensity and passion as Benny & Mick did but for 10+ seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitch Morton