Moises Henriques - WTF

Remove this Banner Ad

Must the be the dirty mo.

Anyone saying he isn't getting a leg up is kidding themselves. His last three seasons of first class cricket have been average to woeful, I don't remember what his stats were in grade cricket the last couple of years as well but they weren't much better. He came through the system, they've invested that much time and money in him, that they are going to keep picking him until he is 30. Yes he has eventually come good at what, age 25 but you can't argue that isn't a free ride.

25, perfectly acceptable age to come good. Whether you think it's a free ride is irrelevant, because he's performing now and he'd be in the side regardless.

Must the be the dirty mo.

Anyone saying he isn't getting a leg up is kidding themselves. His last three seasons of first class cricket have been average to woeful, I don't remember what his stats were in grade cricket the last couple of years as well but they weren't much better. He came through the system, they've invested that much time and money in him, that they are going to keep picking him until he is 30. Yes he has eventually come good at what, age 25 but you can't argue that isn't a free ride.

Actually, he's always been a handy allrounder, averaging around 30 with bat and ball. In fact, his performances read very much like a FC level Flintoff. Ok, his highs were never as high as Flintoff's were, but not were his lows as low.

Now, when it came to team selection, all else being equal the selectors probably leaned towards him more often than not. But it's not like he never did anything to hold his place.

First of all, it is a glimpse of form built on 7 years in the first class system with Australian ODI and T20 caps thrown in based on potential that has not been fulfilled. The only reason he is in the side regardless is for the exact reasons I've said before, he has come up every step of the way through the system and they would rather he have an unfulfilled career with too much opportunity than giving people who do it year in and year out even a season to try their wares.

I remember around 08/09 ish when he first cracked the NSW team. He was meant to be our next big thing. Maybe its clicked

First of all, it is a glimpse of form built on 7 years in the first class system with Australian ODI and T20 caps thrown in based on potential that has not been fulfilled. The only reason he is in the side regardless is for the exact reasons I've said before, he has come up every step of the way through the system and they would rather he have an unfulfilled career with too much opportunity than giving people who do it year in and year out even a season to try their wares.

Nobody's arguing with you. In fact, everybody agrees, which is why it's somewhat of a relief to see him finally playing to his potential.

But sorry, you just want to have a dig and feel superior. Carry on then.

Nobody's arguing with you. In fact, everybody agrees, which is why it's somewhat of a relief to see him finally playing to his potential.

But sorry, you just want to have a dig and feel superior. Carry on then.

I was all for Henriques as a player at 18 and 19 but something has to give at some point and the selectors just keep playing favourites. Yeah he has a start to the season which has to go on with but who are the players that the selectors (at state and national) have ignored for the last five years because they don't fit the bill or haven't been touted?

I was all for Henriques as a player at 18 and 19 but something has to give at some point and the selectors just keep playing favourites. Yeah he has a start to the season which has to go on with but who are the players that the selectors (at state and national) have ignored for the last five years because they don't fit the bill or haven't been touted?

I think you're overstating it. While he's been a touch lucky, averaging 30 with both bat and ball is fairly solid. His Aus selections were bullshit, as was his NSW captaincy, but it's hard to argue his performances at FC level haven't at least been OK.

I think you're overstating it. While he's been a touch lucky, averaging 30 with both bat and ball is fairly solid. His Aus selections were bullshit, as was his NSW captaincy, but it's hard to argue his performances at FC level haven't at least been OK.

He averaged 25 with the bat before this season (300 runs and 3 not outs hides that fact). Either way, he'll be playing ODI's this year his other version in Dan Christian will probably get the flick.

i don't really care for his stats full stop given one match he'd be captaining and opening the bowling and the next he'd be be batting at 4 and not bowling at all and then he'd be playing at 7 but not actually being required at all. given that context 30/30 is steady enough when his role was anything but. over the last two seasons they've settled down with him at 6/7 and being the 4th seamer and his performances have improved (although his promising start was ruined last season by injury, and during these injures nsw ended up repeating past mistakes by playing him as a batsman at 5 'cause he couldn't bowl, where he responded with a pair)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he was lucky to get selected.
However he's been given a chance and he's shown great maturity.
Well done.
Impressed by his discipline.
Something other players could take note of.

I think he was lucky to get selected.
However he's been given a chance and he's shown great maturity.
Well done.
Impressed by his discipline.
Something other players could take note of.

I've got to say, I didn't think he was ready either, but you're right, he's shown excellent discipline. He's also demonstrated an innate ability to pick the length against spinners, which has definitely come in handy.

I do get the feeling he'll be exposed a bit by good pace bowling if he's selected for the Ashes, but hopefully he'll continue to impress.

I also didn't think that Henriques was quite ready for Test cricket, and was nervous about his debut. His selection was certainly due to a very lucky set of circumstances:

1) Hussey retires
2) Watson stops bowling, meaning that the replacement also needs to be a fifth bowler
3) The obvious first choice who has been in excellent form, McDonald, is injured
4) The only other contender for the spot, Maxwell, plays terribly in the tour matches

He ended up getting into the team almost by default.

But the bottom line is that he has done everything within his control right - played well for the last two seasons, played well in the tour matches, and played well in his first Test. There are plenty of players whose opportunities have come by easier and have squandered them (*cough* Khawaja).

He had been in great form, i thought it had recently started to drop off though.
I 100% did not agree with his selection though.
It seemed like they didnt have confidence in our bowlers so wanted to strengthen our bowling with a guy who can also bat a bit.

Great selection for somewhere like england but a batsmen who can bowl abit of spin would of been a much better option for india.
Especially when our batting lineup looks so weak.

Very impressed with his performance and showed he may be capable of being selected on batting ability.

When i saw him, Cowan, Smith and Doherty selected my first reaction was wow, surely we have better batting and spin bowler options than them.

Played well cant understand picking him and still playing 3 other seamers.
Shouldve played the extra spinner
He looked better on this surface then Starc and Siddle combined. Pattinson, Henriques, Siddle, Lyon and Agar/Ahmed would of been ideal for this match. Obviously Ahmed is ineligible for this match but Agar is already a superior bowler to Doherty and any other spin option in the country besides Lyon.

How awesome would it be if he manages to get there (100). You never know and if he does, we might get a lead of 100 plus! India lose 3 or 4 if the first couple of overs and game on!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Moises Henriques - WTF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back