Most Decorated Local Footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFLfan

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2006
Home
AFL Club
West Coast
John Lindsay in 5 first senior years 3 B&F's, teams of the year best on ground in a grand final(after begining sent off) and robbed of a few best in comps due to injury and backchat.
I knows theres better out there, let me now.

daimen yze would be up there so would brett jefferies of northcote park to my knowledge has played in 4 has won 5 best and fairest and he is probably 1 of the best ruckman going round

Lavy_Panther said:
Robbie Walker, OMFL, Wangaratta Rovers. 5 Morris medals.

R.Walker, 5 Morris Medals, 11 Best and Fairests, 3 premierships, 4 Interleague championships, including one as captain

Universally admired...scrupuously fair, even to the point of giving younger opponents direction on the field.

If the words modest and humble were carrying a picture in the dictionary, R.Walker would be there.

I'm sorry...but there is NO ONE more decorated.

I feel priviledged to say I saw him in action

Flat Track Bully said:
R.Walker, 5 Morris Medals, 11 Best and Fairests, 3 premierships, 4 Interleague championships, including one as captain

Universally admired...scrupuously fair, even to the point of giving younger opponents direction on the field.

If the words modest and humble were carrying a picture in the dictionary, R.Walker would be there.

Well written FTB, and I would find it hard to believe there could possibly be another player out there with these credentials.

Steven Ash (Shepparton) was also a very good player. Don't have exact stats but we're talking a couple of league medals, a handful of B&F's, regular inter-league rep and also a very fair player on the field. I saw him cop a cheap hit in a game once and there was no retaliation on the field. After the game he made a point of having a beer with the opposition player involved as well as a quiet word in his ear letting him know that sort of thing was not on, and not to try it on him again.

Steve Ash - very good player, very nice bloke - but I'm afraid to say that he is no comparison to the great Robbie Walker.

Flat Track Bully said:

Great post. I would totally agree with you there. I would also say Brunner. I think he has won a league medal in every comp he has played in. I think from memory he won his last Morris medal at 40 (Can someone confirm this?)

touch of class said:
daimen yze would be up there so would brett jefferies of northcote park to my knowledge has played in 4 has won 5 best and fairest and he is probably 1 of the best ruckman going round
Was just speaking to pierre and ali about him yesterday

Gotheroos said:
Great post. I would totally agree with you there. I would also say Brunner. I think he has won a league medal in every comp he has played in. I think from memory he won his last Morris medal at 40 (Can someone confirm this?)
Does he still play this Robbie Walker sounds like an abs gun. Was he ever in the mix in the AFL?

Not quite as good as Robbie Walker but not too far away. Dean Bennett won the B+f at Swan Hill from 91-97, Won 3 of 4 at Birchip from 98-2001, and won Swan Hills again in 2001. he won 2 league medals at Swan hill and i'm not sure if he won one at Birchip(I think he did). 11 club B+F and 2 or 3 leagues.

Yaaablett said:
Not quite as good as Robbie Walker but not too far away. Dean Bennett won the B+f at Swan Hill from 91-97, Won 3 of 4 at Birchip from 98-2001, and won Swan Hills again in 2001. he won 2 league medals at Swan hill and i'm not sure if he won one at Birchip(I think he did). 11 club B+F and 2 or 3 leagues.

Agreed, Dean Bennett is a champion of country football, there couldn't be too many more decorated players than him.

Robbie walker very much retired but looks fit enough to go again tomorrow.
Brunner still going around with Devenish in the Benalla and district league. I dont think he has won a league medal in that comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought brunner won that comp medal last year. He also done his hammie and was unable to participate in the finals i thought.

someone will be able to clear this up though.

the man is a star though, seen him play when he was in his early 30's, he was like a rolls royce.

slim18 said:
Robbie walker very much retired but looks fit enough to go again tomorrow.
Brunner still going around with Devenish in the Benalla and district league. I dont think he has won a league medal in that comp
I'm only going from memory here slim18, but am reasonably certain he did win the BDFL league medal, and I think Travvy is on the money about missing out on the finals due to injury in the same year.

Travvy - when you say 'last year', are you referring to 2004. I had a suspicion he won the 2004 medal. He must be mid to late 40's by now?

mjhen3 said:
Anyone heard of Greg Morley?
I've heard of a greg morley from bendigo way? I only saw him play at the end of his career (with YCW) but looked to be just an honest type of player - not in the 'most decorated' category. Is this the same guy?

Duff Man said:
I've heard of a greg morley from bendigo way? I only saw him play at the end of his career (with YCW) but looked to be just an honest type of player - not in the 'most decorated' category. Is this the same guy?

Must be a different bloke, the one I speak of hails from Traralgon in the West Gippsland Latrobe Football League. I'm not entirely sure of his all time stats but I think he has played over 300 games for nearly 10 flags, 3 League Best & Fairests, countless club B & F's. He must be around 35 give or take at the moment, got BOG in T'gon's flag last year and won the league the year before. Someone from Traralgon would be abe to give a better insight but in terms of Decorated Local Footballers he would have to be right up there. Also represented and captained Vic Country on numerous occasions i believe.

I'd plump for Craig Griffiths in SA.

Waikerie captain coach of two flags, played in several others.

Four Whillas Medals in the Riverland one in Mid-North.

Would have a large number of B&Fs

And I think he might even have an SANFL junior medal, but I could be wrong.

Tony Hickey - 11 B and F's, 2 McLeod Medals, 10 preimerships (7 as coach), 330 SFL games, VCFL representative, VCFL Coach of the year.

Fair record i think:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Kelvin 69 said:
Tony Hickey - 11 B and F's, 2 McLeod Medals, 10 preimerships (7 as coach), 330 SFL games, VCFL representative, VCFL Coach of the year.

Fair record i think:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Tis a fair record! That just about takes the cake I rekon:thumbsu:

Travvy43 said:
I thought brunner won that comp medal last year. He also done his hammie and was unable to participate in the finals i thought.

the man is a star though, seen him play when he was in his early 30's, he was like a rolls royce.

Brunners like a condom full of walnuts.

Brunner is reportedly training with Yarrawonga at aged 44 (I think)

Also, one must remember that Robbie Walker was doing this when the O and M was the strongest country league in Australia, and arguably stronger than the NSW and QLD state comps at the time.

As for being in the mix for AFL, played in North Melbourne's VFL Under 19 flag of 1988, which included a bloke called Carey and another named Schwass.

Was happy to come home and be a teacher at Galen College.

Travvy43 said:

Pretty sure he won the medal in 2004. He had a bad hammie however played in the grand final. They got flogged by Bonnie Doon however he was easily the best Devenish player and on one leg.

He won 2 Lawless medals(connsecutive I think) in the Tungamah League with Benalla All Blacks.
3 Morris Medals(2000 aged 36 and back-to-back 11 years earlier 1988 & 1989) playing with Yarrawonga and 1 flag(also played with Benalla).
Played in Murray League and won 2 O'Dwyer Medals(1993 & 1997) and 4 flags with Barooga.

So thats 8 League Medals.

He was also draft by Footscray but decided to return home.

Some info is from memory and the rest from this article.

http://www.omfl.com.au/news.html?oid=868569&sectionid=0&sectionname=News

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Decorated Local Footballer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back