Most Hated Club/Biggest Rivalry - Who Is It?

Who do you hate more?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy John

Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me coming on your board, but this is a topic that I think is worthy of discussion.

Carlton and Essendon are without question Collingwood's two most bitter rivals, which are built on a long history of battles on the field.

I know a fair few Collingwood supporters in real life, and their most hated club is around a 50/50 split between the Blues and Bombers.

Both clubs have a long history of cheating which only fuels the hatred that Pies supporters as well as supporters of other clubs have for both the Blues and Bombers.

Which club do you hate more, and why?

Carlton.

I have no reason why. I don't hold grudges against Mick or daisy, Wasn't alive for the 1970 grand final, was a bit young to understand the salary cap breach and have no enemy's who barrack for Carlton.

Yet i just want them to lose by 100+ every week. I guess it just comes with being a passionate Magpie.

But seriously, I hope they lose 50 in a row and relocate to Tasmania.

Carlton.

I have no reason why. I don't hold grudges against Mick or daisy, Wasn't alive for the 1970 grand final, was a bit young to understand the salary cap breach and have no enemy's who barrack for Carlton.

Yet i just want them to lose by 100+ every week. I guess it just comes with being a passionate Magpie.

This sums me up exactly also.

Carlton by the length of the Flemington Straight, there's a lot more history and bad blood between us and Carlton in my opinion.

The Syd Jackson / Lee Adamson incident, amongst others, shouldn't be forgotten.

The rivalry and hatred have probably diminished a bit in recent times, because it's been a fair while since both clubs were simultaneously relevant.

Have never minded the Bombers as a club, have always enjoyed the Anzac Day clashes and the like. Would have Saints and Hawks ahead of Bombers.

A lot of people are probably swayed by the current Essendon / ASADA saga, but for me, that's administration and coaching staff, not players or club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton by a mile. Prior to the doping stuff, didn't even really hate Essendon. ANZAC Day actually sort of created a respectful rivalry. However at the moment, I hate them equally. I suspect once Hird and his crew are properly exiled and the Dons players get their fair whack, it will again be Carlton by a mile.

Carlton are just an awful awful club. Arrogant, incapable of developing anything worthwhile themselves - they've never faced a challenge they haven't tried to just cheat and buy their way out of. They stand for nothing and have utterly failed in the modern era where brown paper bags of cash don't make life's problems go away.

Pr
Carlton.

Pretty much it.

It's funny, I reckon I actually only have one or two clubs I don't actively dislike - the Doggies and maybe the Eagles at the moment. And that's subject to change with little notice. Sydney used to be on that list, but that's all over now.

I guess it is an age thing.

Carlton to me hold no relevance at all, it is just bluster and 'traditional' rivalry...based around stuff that happened before I was following footy.

Probably no different to people back in the 80s that were still trying to talk about Melbourne and Collingwood's fierce rivalry, despite it not being relevant anymore.

Hawthorn are the team that I want to beat these days, another successful team, big following and have played them in some big games in recent times.

I guess it is an age thing.

Fair enough, that would account for my intense dislike for Carlton. Was at the 1970 GF, and then lived through the horrors of the late 70s.

But Essendon aren't that far behind. For a whole range of reasons, prior to the peptides saga, including Sheedy - did I mention Sheedy? - and the arrogant fan base. The most grief I have ever had has come from Bombers fans, going back to my childhood and some particularly obnoxious neighbours who named all their children after Bomber heroes. Yuck.

Fair enough, that would account for my intense dislike for Carlton. Was at the 1970 GF, and then lived through the horrors of the late 70s.

But Essendon aren't that far behind. For a whole range of reasons, prior to the peptides saga, including Sheedy - did I mention Sheedy? - and the arrogant fan base. The most grief I have ever had has come from Bombers fans, going back to my childhood and some particularly obnoxious neighbours who named all their children after Bomber heroes. Yuck.
You should have reported them to whichever govt department investigates family abuse. Society shouldn't turn a blind eye to this sort of stuff.

I am almost 22, so for me Carlton are a nothing club, the first game of footy I can remember watching was the 1999 GF between North and Carlton and the next game is round 19 2001 when we got smashed to them, which also happened to be the first time I went to the footy. Still remember crying the whole car ride back home after that game haha. Apart form those two games all I can remember is Carlton being crap. History really doesn't mean much because I have never seen a winning Carlton side or a threatening side. To me all the Carlton teams I watched since 2001 have been garbage, so they hold no relevance to me.

I know there is bitter blood between the two clubs and for that I don't like them in fact I hate them because they are cheaters but then again to me they are a side that is as successful as StKilda, Dees, Fremanlte and Bulldogs. Even then I can remember all those sides playing in more finals in the last decade or so except the Dees. Therefore I can't really hate them as much as I hate Essendon.

Essendon to me is the scum on the earth along with international sporting teams like Barcelona and Byern Munich. I think god decided that every league needed a club full of imbecilic players, officials and supporters so he put those three teams in.

Essendon are your ultimate bandwagon team, if you don't follow the game you will say you go for Essendon or when they are winning they are all loud and happy giving it to everyone but when they losing 80% of their fans don't want to be known as Essendon fans. I can't wait for the suspensions to be handed out.

I am almost 22, so for me Carlton are a nothing club, the first game of footy I can remember watching was the 1999 GF between North and Carlton and the next game is round 19 2001 when we got smashed to them, which also happened to be the first time I went to the footy. Still remember crying the whole car ride back home after that game haha. Apart form those two games all I can remember is Carlton being crap. History really doesn't mean much because I have never seen a winning Carlton side or a threatening side. To me all the Carlton teams I watched since 2001 have been garbage, so they hold no relevance to me..
Young man. It doesn't matter if you are 2, 22, or 102. As a Collingwood supporter you have a duty to hate Carlton. Maybe right now in your life you may not be sure why. Give it time my son. It will become obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Hated Club/Biggest Rivalry - Who Is It?

Back