Most Hated Club/Biggest Rivalry - Who Is It?

Who do you hate more?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I do like to see Carlton lose but I don't like that I do, because it means they own us. 1970 left scars (I was three but I recall the anger in the house) and 1979 and 1981 burned deep.

The Carlton rivalry has been the biggest one in my time supporting the Pies but if you read up the history it wasn't always like that. Back in 1892 when we were formed the hatred was between old genteel Protestant Fitzroy and grubby Catholic poor upstart Collingwood. Fitzroy took in the remnants of Britannia (the older football team in Collingwood) that the Magpies replaced and they looked down their noses at us.

Far from being our enemies Carlton were Collingwood's allies (i think they were a tolerant club with Catholic, protestant and Jewish members, a very unusual arrangement in those days). The definitely helped us join the VFA and maybe the VFL too.

Fitzroy were the first VFL superpower, winning four of the first ten flags, with Carlton Collingwood and Essendon snapping at their heels.

That changed in 1910 when Collingwood defeated a superior Carlton side in the grand Final by coming the thump (and one of our players escaped suspension through very shonky argumentation: something about a retiring player who took the rap for him). There was a murky cloud over the Blues when several player received 5 year bans for taking bribes to play dead.

In the 1920's and 1930's our great rival was the brilliant Richmond side that was unlucky enough to run into our invincible Machine several times. they took some flags but we took four in a row, three of them off the Tigers. There was bad blood about Gordon Coventry's suspension, and a young Jack Dyer made a bad impression on everyone. We had rivalries with talented sides like Geelong and South but the Tigers were The Enemy.

In the 1940's and 1950's Melbourne enjoyed their golden era, playing finals at their home ground and earning the dislike of most opposition clubs with their arrogance (they were nearly as arrogant as us) and we smashed them in 1958 to protect our treasured 4-in-a-row record. The remained our enemies into the 1960's but in 1970 Carlton went back to the top with a bullet thanks to Jezza and Hopkins.

Really Carlton remains our "top enemy" to this day.

Essendon's return to the big time under Sheedy, and his creation of the ANZAC match, as well as the evil Bomber Thompson cheating incident mean we enjoy beating them but to me Essendon have never been The Enemy. Overall I respect them as a club: the Thompson drug thing is their worst scandal ever true and arguably the worst in our game's history, but it was from the Geelong connection and they dobbed themselves in (whereas the same cast of criminals were at Geelong and apparently nothing happened there :think:).

Essendon are a bit like Collingwood. They are a massive Northern suburbs powerhouse, the make the finals a lot and lose a lot as well as winning a lot. Carlton actually never made the Grand Final much, they just tended to beat us when they got there so they ended up with more flags (as many as the Bombers from many fewer attempts).

In short, Carlton are cheats and scum (and in recent decades they became failure addicts HAHAHA), and Essendon are hard working and made a few mistakes (like us). Carlton have been our number 1 enemy for longer than any of our other rivals (chiefly Fitzroy and Melbourne stupid stuck up pricks): Richmond are so much like us they could be our brothers and its natural to have family arguments.

Did Essendon and Collingwood have much of a rivalry before the ‘90 grand final and first ANZAC Day game? They were always two massive clubs but we seemed to win our premierships in different eras, seeing as we’d only faced off in a grand final only once before 1990 I think, and I’m not sure we’d played too many other finals against each other either.

All depends on the times back 1970's then yes Carlton 1990 and through out the 1990's Essendon 2002-2003 Brisbane lions 2009ish geelong 2013-2015 hawthorn 2018 west coast but nowadays its definitely Richmond by a mile then west coast and gws equal second

Don't care about carlton and Essendon much these days Essendon are sooks

Richmond by plenty at the moment.

As for Carlton, how do you erase the memories of 1970, 1979 and 1981. The only way is to beat them in a GF.

Some people here are saying Richmond and other clubs.
Yes they are all scum bags. But they are not Carlton.
Carlton is SLIME. No other club comes close.
If you don't have feelings of what are considered illegal thoughts about Carlton then you aren't Collingwood.
Why is this even a discussion?
Let me lay out some names and you just let the hatred sink in.
Harmes. F--en Harmes. Need I say more.
Wayne Johnston. Oh how I would love to land my fist on that smarmy bastards toothy grin.
Peter Bosustow - F---n pr0n star moustache wielding horrible piece of shcitt.
Craig f**n Bradley. Murder should be excused when it comes to this scum sucking piece of shcitt.

The list goes on and on.
This is not a discussion people.
Those scum sucking, cheating, slime bags are and always will be numero uno when it comes to hatred.
FFS just have a look at that smarmy f***n navy blue jumper that the pieces of shitt run out with. If that f---n kent of a jersey doesn't make you want to become a mass murderer then your heart just isn't in this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people here are saying Richmond and other clubs.
Yes they are all scum bags. But they are not Carlton.
Carlton is SLIME. No other club comes close.
If you don't have feelings of what are considered illegal thoughts about Carlton then you aren't Collingwood.
Why is this even a discussion?
Let me lay out some names and you just let the hatred sink in.
Harmes. F--en Harmes. Need I say more.
Wayne Johnston. Oh how I would love to land my fist on that smarmy bastards toothy grin.
Peter Bosustow - F---n pr0n star moustache wielding horrible piece of shcitt.
Craig f**n Bradley. Murder should be excused when it comes to this scum sucking piece of shcitt.

The list goes on and on.
This is not a discussion people.
Those scum sucking, cheating, slime bags are and always will be numero uno when it comes to hatred.
FFS just have a look at that smarmy f***n navy blue jumper that the pieces of shitt run out with. If that f---n kent of a jersey doesn't make you want to become a mass murderer then your heart just isn't in this game.

Are you going soft Otto? Your overview is too complimentary about Carlton. Plus you forgot John Elliott.

Always hates the Saints. First game was at Moorabbin oval. Which we won by 6 points. Dealing with their supporters and abuse started me on my life long hatred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always hates the Saints. First game was at Moorabbin oval. Which we won by 6 points. Dealing with their supporters and abuse started me on my life long hatred

Yep, and don't forget that dog Jim O'Dea karate-kicking John Greening behind the play to virtually end his career?

Hate the Saints, which made 2010 even sweeter for me.

Carlton by the length of the Flemington Straight, there's a lot more history and bad blood between us and Carlton in my opinion.

The Syd Jackson / Lee Adamson incident, amongst others, shouldn't be forgotten.

The rivalry and hatred have probably diminished a bit in recent times, because it's been a fair while since both clubs were simultaneously relevant.

Have never minded the Bombers as a club, have always enjoyed the Anzac Day clashes and the like. Would have Saints and Hawks ahead of Bombers.

A lot of people are probably swayed by the current Essendon / ASADA saga, but for me, that's administration and coaching staff, not players or club.
I sat next to Syd Jackson at a luncheon about 10 years ago and chatted to him about the incident with Lee Adamson. He was a nice guy, very unpretentious, living in a group house of young indigenous players as a mentor. He freely admitted that he had been told by the Carlton president to lie that Adamson had racially abused him. After fessing up to lying, he recalled next morning seeing the headlines in the sports' pages of the newspapers and realised what a big deal the incident still was more than 20 years later.

At the time of the incident, I recall being incensed that Adamson, a teacher, could be accused of such an act. Syd eventually apologised to Adamson for lying. Both of them despise the Carlton president who had concocted the story.

I also disliked St Kilda because of O'Dea halting Greening's career and Hawthorn because I saw them beat Collingwood so many times during the VFL park days.

Both Carlton and Hawthorn have boasted highly hateable presidents - Carlton George Harris for the Jackson incident, and John Elliott, Hawthorn Jeff Kennett.

But Carlton I hate the most.

i always thought that you either hate or not hate. If I hated something, then it's hated. I remember having strong negative feelings about carlton between 1970 and early 80s. That's got to do as much with being beaten as anything else. In recent years, I've felt pity for carlton, which is far more entertaining than hating them. As a WA dweller, I dont like Coast supporters although I'm not fussed about the club. I dont like em because they've had it way too easy for 30 years. Freo supporters, on the other hand, are ok. I've been there when they've supported their team in tough times which isnt easy to do. Richmond supporters are like flies. First sign of good weather and they suddenly appear to annoy you.

Every week in my family the first priority is a Collingwood win, we celebrate or we get sad and look forward to the opportunity to have another win. The second priority is a Carlton loss, a Collingwood win and a Carlton loss is each weeks goal. We watch Carlton games to support the other team. I would like Carlton to finish last every year, Richmond I'm OK if the finish 9th (Again!!!). I have very fond memories of beating Essendon in the 1990 drought GF and have no dislike for them out of the ordinary, they are not in my top 10.

FTR I do not like Essendon but that list is extensive.

If we just went by supporters I'd quite like Carlton, I know a few Blues and they are mostly alright. The Collingwood and Calrton cheersquads used to chant at each other and we'd have a laugh as well as angry shouting.

I went as a neutral to Moorrabin to see Locket vs Ablett, neither played that well (i think four goals between them maybe?) but the absolute lowlight was hearing racial abuse of Nick Winmar. By St Kilda supporters. I didn't like it much when our mob would do it (in particular the Social Club were nasty people at Vic Park) but this was something else.

Please forgive me for intruding, but I come in peace...

It’s actually nice to see that a lot of you chose Carlton. I’m not sure there are many bigger rivalries in sport, than Carlton Collingwood. And it feels like my mob has let down that rivalry over the last few years by being so uncompetitive. Rivalries are based on fierce competition and the challenge. We’ve failed to deliver on either of those recently.
As a Carlton supporter, by definition I’m meant to hate Collingwood. But I can’t help but admire you. Your president is strong and assertive. I could listen to your coach talk footy all day. Buckley is an outstanding football person, with a brilliant footy brain. And appears to be a quality individual, with genuine integrity. And you have some of the best players in the comp. If I were picking a side from scratch, my first pick would be Jordan De Goey. At his best, best in the AFL right now.

It’s my hope that Carlton will soon rise to the occasion, and honour the rivalry that we have with the Pies. And hopefully we can be worthy of your hatred AND your respect, and do justice to one of the greatest rivalries in sport.

Richmond on the other hand, can eat a d..k

Again, I apologise for intruding, but I was really interested to read this thread.

Coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Hated Club/Biggest Rivalry - Who Is It?

Back