Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeney had a broken foot so at least an excuse.
So did Lachie Neale. One played a brilliant game and did not make it an excuse, the other whinged about it after failing in another grand final. He supposedly had it in the other finals too which didn't seem to affect him. That is not to say that Heeney is overrated but he is disappointing in grand finals.

Its what he did with it. He infringed against Fort all day and was only pinged once. And when he won the ball he didnt do a lot with it.

Fort was every bit as good as Grundy and did more than enough to let Brisbane's midfield dominate and the Swans midfield to atruggle.

Grndy should have destroyed Fort but didnt come close to it.

I haven't looked at any stats, but going purely by watching the game - once - I thought Fort broke even with Grundy at absolute worst. He more than did the job required for his team.

Grundy, like his team, monumentally failed on the big stage.

I haven't looked at any stats, but going purely by watching the game - once - I thought Fort broke even with Grundy at absolute worst. He more than did the job required for his team.

Grundy, like his team, monumentally failed on the big stage.

Absolutely. I didnt look at the stats either. I just saw Fort keeping up with Grundy which is definitely all that Fages ever would have dreamed of.

He 100% earned his medal.

TBH I just looked at the stats and was surprised with Brodies possessions and hit outs, I just assumed with the complete dominance Brisbane hit out centre bounces that Brodie must have been terrible..

Grundy gets a heap of scrappy/go nowhere handballs at the bottom of a pack.

Have you seen Angel Reese’s rebounding? It’s like that. A few handballs in a row into someone’s legs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you seen Angel Reese’s rebounding? It’s like that. A few handballs in a row into someone’s legs.

To be fair, he also had a few handballs landing at his feet yesterday. Swans disposals on the whole were very poor.

Of all the people on the planet i thought we could compare Grundy to, not once did Angel Reese come into my calculations.

But to be fair, not a bad observation.

His pathetic ruck work against Mumford who was like a retired heavyweight fighter coming back a 5th time in the 2019 PF against GWS, made me want him shown the door after that game.
The final between Melbourne and Collingwood showed his shortcomings. Had several opportunities to take the game and failed every time. Think the game has gone past him.

Heeney had a stress fracture of his ankle during the finals. It got worse late in quarter 1.

Don't recall if he carried an injury or not in 2022, but the 11 possession game that day was not memorable.

Far from your worst player. Heeney was appalling.
Blakey was probably responsible for 6 or 7 Brisbane goals. Others may have been quiet but no one was as big a negative for Sydney

Last edited:
A ruck has to be able to mark a footy, intercepting in particular is just about the most important thing a ruck can be great at. Grundy is awful in the air, and the rest of his game doesn't outweigh that shortcoming. Especially given how ordinary Sydney's key defensive stocks are in comparison to recent premiership teams, his inability to chop them out hurts.

He's a fine player - probably not top 5 rucks for me but in the next echelon. Sydney have to sort some things down back if he's to be their premiership ruck.

At least Sydney are only paying him what he's actually worth (600-650k) with Collingwood footing the rest of the bill. His contract was the elephant in the room and had to be moved if we were to be successful in September.

Grundy is the best footballer off all the rucks. Decent at the taps, excellent around the ground and his handballing is excellent.

In the Grand Final Fagan put a heap of work into him, the hector started with nullifying him (and Joe tool some actualbwins off him, extremely impressive) and the mudx made sure to clog him up dl he didn't get to play the damaging extra mud role.

Not over rated at all. A huge part of Sydney finishing top, along with the umpires.

Silly to run him down after a loss, Brisbane did brilliantly to suppress him. Can be beaten with physical pressure, I recall Mumford punching his face and poking his eye in the first two clashes after half time.

Orange Tsunami my arse, it was umpiring licence to cheat and they did.

When sides get umpired into the GF like Sydney this year and 2016 or GWS theg can get found out on the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back