Current MP Gareth Ward charged over historical sexual abuse of man and teenage boy - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Gareth Ward as the Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services under former premier Gladys Berejiklian, was moved to the cross bench in May after it was revealed he was under police investigation for sex offences.

Ward has been charged with three counts of indecent assault, one count each of sexual intercourse without consent, and one count of common assault. With a 17yo one of his 2 alleged victims.

All Foster children in NSW were under the Ministerial control of Gareth Ward between 2019 and 2021.

The 40-year-old attended Oaks Flats Police Station today.

He has been charged with three counts of assault with act of indecency, and one count each of sexual intercourse without consent and common assault.

Detectives allege Mr Ward indecently assaulted a 17-year-old boy at Meroo Meadow in February 2013, and sexually abused a 27-year-old man in Sydney in September 2015.

He was granted conditional bail and is due to face Port Kembla Court in May.

The investigation into Gareth Ward had a Strike Force name of 'Condello'.

'9:13PM MAY 14, 2021'

'The investigation, codenamed Strike Force Condello, was formed recently to examine several allegations involving Mr Ward between 2013 and 2015.'

'Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s office secretly dealt with a formal complaint concerning inappropriate conduct by then families minister Gareth Ward last year, but kept the matter quiet from parliamentary colleagues, allowing him to retain his position in cabinet without sanction.

The Australian has confirmed that the complaint was lodged with the premier and that the matter was dealt with “appropriately and in accordance with the ministerial handbook to the satisfaction of the complainant”.'

'Mr Ward issued a statement on Thursday afternoon denying any wrongdoing in the police matter and said he had not been spoken to by detectives. He said he learned of the allegations being levelled against him via a journalist.'

Gareth Ward as the Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services was moved to the cross bench in May after it was revealed he was under police investigation for sex offences.

Ward has been charged with three counts of indecent assault, one count each of sexual intercourse without consent, and one count of common assault. With a 17yo one of his 2 alleged victims.

All Foster children in NSW were under the Ministerial control of Gareth Ward between 2019 and 2021.

The 40-year-old attended Oaks Flats Police Station today.

He has been charged with three counts of assault with act of indecency, and one count each of sexual intercourse without consent and common assault.

Detectives allege Mr Ward indecently assaulted a 17-year-old boy at Meroo Meadow in February 2013, and sexually abused a 27-year-old man in Sydney in September 2015.

He was granted conditional bail and is due to face Port Kembla Court in May.

I will say something in general terms rather than specific to this case but I believe you can identify ones sexuality more often than not be that straight, gay or other including pedos and sexual deviates.

In regards to this bloke, I would not leave people in his care who are vulnerable. I again stress this isn't about what he has or hasn't done but my radar would say "be careful here".

Gareth Ward has made it into the media a few times in the last 5 year with incidents that involved a clothing deficit.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 8.33.42 pm.png

Gareth Ward has made it into the media a few times in the last 5 year with incidents that involved a clothing deficit.

View attachment 1351693

Hmmmm

Found naked & semi naked in the one night because he'd received a general anaesthetic that same day?

Ordered "just a standard massage" at 10.30 at night in your hotel room and you had already removed some of your clothing in anticipation of this ordinary massage :think:

Entirely without shame and any sense of decency or consideration of the impact of having him romping around the community in an official capacity will have.

MP Gareth Ward has been suspended from the NSW Parliament while he faces indecent and sexual assault charges,
  • The suspension motion passed without opposition
  • The government is awaiting legal advice on stopping Mr Ward's salary and allowances

The suspension will remain in place until criminal proceedings against him are finalised.

The government moved the suspension motion in the lower house, after the Member for Kiama refused to resign.

The motion passed without opposition.

Mr Ward has also been official banned from visiting any schools in his south coast electorate while he is under suspension.

Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said the ban was necessary because of the seriousness of the allegations against him.

In a statement issued late on Thursday, Mr Ward said he was "extremely disappointed" with the vote to suspend him.

Moved to the back bench? How about instead of moving him remove him? Another case of this person ticks the right boxes, don't worry about his qualifications or his principles as long as we can put him on show and get a photo opportunity every now and then to see how diverse we are

'NSW MP Gareth Ward to face trial on sexual and indecent assault charges'

'August 19, 2022 — 11.20am'

'In Nowra Local Court on Friday, magistrate Lisa Viney committed Ward for trial in the District Court.'

The 41-year-old remains on bail and his case is due before Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court on September 14.'

'Ward is the former NSW minister for families, communities and disability services.'

'The Association of Children’s Welfare Agencies (ACWA) ... ACWA, and the non-government sector as a whole, is eager to work closely with Minister Ward and other key stakeholders to help deliver the best possible outcomes for vulnerable children, young people and families in NSW.

I imagine that the current NSW Government will be eager to get this trial over and done with ASAP before the March 2023 NSW State Election, or take the less risky option and delay it as long as possible (Ward is currently on bail), so that the publicity resulting from the unsuppressed parts of the trial and conviction process, hit after the March 202 NSW State Election.

Not a good look having your recent minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Minister facing trial/convictions for sexual and indecent assault charges on other men, including a 17yo who was still legally a child at the time of the alleged office.

'NSW MP Gareth Ward to face trial on sexual and indecent assault charges'

'August 19, 2022 — 11.20am'

'In Nowra Local Court on Friday, magistrate Lisa Viney committed Ward for trial in the District Court.'

The 41-year-old remains on bail and his case is due before Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court on September 14.'

'Ward is the former NSW minister for families, communities and disability services.'

'The Association of Children’s Welfare Agencies (ACWA) ... ACWA, and the non-government sector as a whole, is eager to work closely with Minister Ward and other key stakeholders to help deliver the best possible outcomes for vulnerable children, young people and families in NSW.

I imagine that the current NSW Government will be eager to get this trial over and done with ASAP before the March 2023 NSW State Election, or take the less risky option and delay it as long as possible (Ward is currently on bail), so that the publicity resulting from the unsuppressed parts of the trial and conviction process, hit after the March 202 NSW State Election.

Not a good look having your recent minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Minister facing trial/convictions for sexual and indecent assault charges on other men, including a 17yo who was still legally a child at the time of the alleged office.
Stay classy, Gareth.

Last edited:
Gareth was in court yesterday and today.

And this morning re-established an almost unassailable lead in the vote count as an Independent in the NSW State Election.

Having him represent Kiama until/for if he is ever convicted of a criminal offence that requires him to be stripped of his seat, will not help the brand of the party (Liberal) that he represented for years as a Kiama MP and Minister, up until they booted him out recently, after he was charged in relation to what he was in court for again today.

'Tue 28 Mar 2023 11.31 AEDT'

'Police allege that Ward indecently assaulted a 17-year-old boy at Meroo Meadow on NSW’s south coast in February 2013 and that he r*ped a 27-year-old man in Sydney in September 2015.

He has been charged with five criminal offences, including sexual intercourse without consent, three counts of assault with indecency, and common assault, which is an alternative charge to one of the indecency charges.

The independent politician was arraigned at Nowra district court on Tuesday where he pleaded not guilty to all counts.'
'The former Liberal minister was dumped from the party and suspended from parliament a year ago following the charges. He recontested the seat of Kiama as an independent MP at the NSW election at the weekend.

Suspended members are excluded from parliamentary precincts and prohibited from participating in the house or committees under a separate standing order.

A parliamentary committee last May recommended Ward keep his salary and electorate office until a court determines whether he is guilty, arguing the crossbencher is entitled to a presumption of innocence....'

Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 2.09.02 pm.png

Last edited:

'Kiama MP Gareth Ward ‘looking forward to proving innocence’ as court trial looms'

'March 28, 2023 - 2:18PM'

'... The matter is listed in Sydney’s Downing Centre District Court next week, however, it was also mentioned in Nowra District Court on Monday, where Judge Christopher O’Brien called on the former Families, Communities and Disability Services Minister to turn up to court on Tuesday to be arraigned.

On Tuesday, Mr Ward appeared in court where he confirmed his pleas of not guilty to the five charges.

Mr Ward’s lawyer, Robert Foster, asked for his client to be excused from attending Downing Centre next week, however, the judge denied the application.

A trial date is yet to be set, however, it is anticipated separate trials will be run for the two complainants....'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe if Ward get's kicked out of his seat during this 4 year term of NSW Parliament, Bruce Lehrmann (who currently is just as not guilty as Gareth Ward) can run as an independent for the seat of Kiama.

'2.18pm
Minns: We will not negotiate with Ward ‘at all’

By Angus Dalton

Staying with the premier’s comments made at Liverpool Hospital, Chris Minns said his camp are optimistic about clinching Kiama from independent Gareth Ward, who pleaded not guilty to historical sexual abuse allegations today in court.

The premier was asked if he would negotiate with Ward if he wins Kiama and if Labor would move to resuspend him parliament.
“We’re not going to negotiate with him at all,” Minns said.
“I want to wait and see what the outcome of the ballot is. We’re still very hopeful and I think in the commanding position to win that seat. I think that will be good for the parliament.”'

Looks like Gareth has this one in the (douche) bag.

Lovely to know that the NSW taxpayer is basically funding his legal defence via paying him an MPs salary.

Hopefully if he is ever jailed, the NSW taxpayer will not be paying him a living away from home allowance!

Note to self: avoid electorate of Kiama and residents of the electorate of Kiama.
I already programmed my Sat Nav and google/apple maps to re-direct me away from/by-pass the electorate of Kiama when travelling down the coast from Sydney.

Might also be a good opportunity to pick up a real estate investment property bargain down Kiama way.

I already programmed my Sat Nav and google/apple maps to re-direct me away from/by-pass the electorate of Kiama when travelling down the coast from Sydney.

Might also be a good opportunity to pick up a real estate investment property bargain down Kiama way.
You think people will be looking to move to Kiama now? Certain types of people, perhaps...

You think people will be looking to move to Kiama now? Certain types of people, perhaps...
More likely gay men might move out of the Kiama electorate with the publicity that Gareth Ward is likely going to get over the next few years.

Innocent you say Gareth? Sure, sure you are. Must have both accidentally found yourself naked in the vicinity of vulnerable people, bit like the Potts Point incident, eh?

What a POS.

But who the hell votes for him after the disclosure of those charges? WHO?

Seems like there are at least 18,337 absolute morons in the seat of Kiama. Or 18,337 residents who can identify with Gareth?

There might be a market for T shirts in Kiama with the slogan 'I DIDN'T VOTE FOR GARETH WARD'

How long has Gareth been involved in the Kiama electorate and has he influenced significant infrastructure down there? Wondering what drove the support to get him re-elected. There’s a possibility of some younger troll votes for the lols as well which may sound ridiculous but it happens.

I know there’s a presumption of innocence and all but if I was a voter I would certainly be shying away from a candidate in his current position.

How long has Gareth been involved in the Kiama electorate and has he influenced significant infrastructure down there? Wondering what drove the support to get him re-elected. There’s a possibility of some younger troll votes for the lols as well which may sound ridiculous but it happens.

From his wike page you can see how deeply imbedded he was in the local community and the Liberal Party. Including being a deputy Mayor of Shoalhaven back around 2010.

Has multiple degrees and is a qualified Solicitor.

'Ward has also previously served as the Parliamentary Secretary for Education, in addition to his role as the Parliamentary Secretary for the Illawarra and South Coast from 2017 until 2019. Previously, Ward was a councillor on Shoalhaven City Council from 2004 until 2012.

Ward was born with albinism and is legally blind.'

'Ward was born in the Illawarra region and completed his schooling at Bomaderry High School. He holds degrees in commerce and arts from the University of Wollongong and Bachelor of Laws from the University of New England, and a Master of Laws from the University of Sydney.

He holds a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University, and is an Admitted Solicitor in the Supreme Court of NSW and the High Court of Australia.

From 2001 to 2006, Ward served on the Council of the Wollongong Undergraduate Students' Association at the university. Ward was involved with the Australian Liberal Students Federation.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Current MP Gareth Ward charged over historical sexual abuse of man and teenage boy - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back