MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Semi Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

yap unless you are Hewiit or Neale, who did the exact same thing a week prior.

Neale didnt hit high which is why it was a fine, but I agree and I think Hewitt was a joke. Yes, the punch was deflected high so you could pretend it was careless, but he intentionally threw a punch and it did go high so he should be responsible for it.

Just like bumps. You may not aim high, but if you hit and it goes hhigh you get pinged for it.

Look at the treatment of Sicily over the last 5 or 6 years. Routinely gets harsher penalties than other players. While others routinely get away with it.

In one of Fyfe's Browlow years (2015 I think) he was pinged over and over for offences which should have got a week but instead got fines, and back then when you got a number of fines it would be upgraded to a week, so the AFL just stopped penalising Fyfe. Including a gut punch which led to the player needing to leave the field being ignored by the MRP.

You're right.
The issue is why Hewett didn't get a week.
All I'd say is the push and shove was all coming from Neale (in this instance) and he got a clip for his trouble. I feel the AFL have to find a way of not just punishing the retaliator.
You could argue the AFL through their on field affiliate - the umpires, failed to protect Hewett and it was only his retaliation that has created the conflict.
Much the same as Sicily on Saturday. One Essendon player had a go after the free was paid, another 2 after the goal and McGrath was the third and he was upended. The whole saga was created by umpires failing to protect Sicily from physical provocation. If you haven't seen it, it was 70 seconds into the game and a super soft free kick against him - no angst or aggro to suggest the Essendon response.
Why? Pushing/shoving/bumping doesn't excuse landing one on a bloke's chin (even if that isn't where you intended it to go). Absolute farce that he wasn't suspended. The AFL talk such a big game about how much they care about "optics", then let that go un-checked. The mind boggles sometimes, honestly.

Provocation wasn't, isn't and should never be an escape clause...

Why? Pushing/shoving/bumping doesn't excuse landing one on a bloke's chin (even if that isn't where you intended it to go). Absolute farce that he wasn't suspended. The AFL talk such a big game about how much they care about "optics", then let that go un-checked. The mind boggles sometimes, honestly.

Provocation wasn't, isn't and should never be an escape clause...
You miss my point. The ball was dead in the Brisbane/Carlton game. The only response to the pushing etc is to double down. It's farcical. Hewett should be protected by the umpires.
His strike should have been suspended but it should never have got to that.

Sicily is a fool for that action. Opposition will keep targeting him, whilst he retaliates like this. But it's not worth a week - there's hardly any contact. Why don't they just give him a suspended sentence of 1 week. AFL is seen to be penalising the player, and he gets to play next week. If he's dumb enough to be found guilty for any offence for the rest of the season, then he serves that extra week.

Sicily is a fool for that action. Opposition will keep targeting him, whilst he retaliates like this. But it's not worth a week - there's hardly any contact. Why don't they just give him a suspended sentence of 1 week. AFL is seen to be penalising the player, and he gets to play next week. If he's dumb enough to be found guilty for any offence for the rest of the season, then he serves that extra week.
Guaranteed week either way really...

Why were 3 Essendon players allowed to bump him, one of them bumped him to the ground - but when he threw McGrath to the ground it was a free kick?

Maybe the umpires need to do their job properly.

Neale didnt hit high which is why it was a fine, but I agree and I think Hewitt was a joke. Yes, the punch was deflected high so you could pretend it was careless, but he intentionally threw a punch and it did go high so he should be responsible for it.

Just like bumps. You may not aim high, but if you hit and it goes hhigh you get pinged for it.

Look at the treatment of Sicily over the last 5 or 6 years. Routinely gets harsher penalties than other players. While others routinely get away with it.

In one of Fyfe's Browlow years (2015 I think) he was pinged over and over for offences which should have got a week but instead got fines, and back then when you got a number of fines it would be upgraded to a week, so the AFL just stopped penalising Fyfe. Including a gut punch which led to the player needing to leave the field being ignored by the MRP.
A bit like when Sammy Mitchell was going around kneeing people.
Coincidently the three times he did it was to the oppo best player

Hahah a week for Redman after Hewett just got let off for the same thing.

What a joke. 1 week in and already no consistency
Finally got a look at the clip and I can't agree.

Two handed shove to the face isn't what Hewett did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally got a look at the clip and I can't agree.

Two handed shove to the face isn't what Hewett did.
shove v fist, but shouldn't matter.

I struggle to reconcile one as careless, one as intentional when the AFL said any "strike" to the head will be intentional
Redman week is right
Hewett fine is wrong

Was inevitable there'd be an incident this weekend after the farcical justification the AFL gave last week.

So nothing for DangerFlop's deliberate knee into Stocker's back followed by a staged dive?

Of course not, instead Dangerfield got a free kick for it which the AFL has backed as the right decision despite it being blatantly wrong.

We should just be thankful that Stocker wasn't given a suspension as well.

shove v fist, but shouldn't matter.
It wasn't a fist.

Forearm to forearm that Neale deflected himself after jumper-punching two different players, then following with an intentional punch to the body. And Neale was playing the victim!

I struggle to reconcile one as careless, one as intentional when the AFL said any "strike" to the head will be intentional
Redman week is right
Hewett fine is wrong
Quite possibly, but they were not the same offence.

Was inevitable there'd be an incident this weekend after the farcical justification the AFL gave last week.

It wasn't a fist.

Forearm to forearm that Neale deflected himself after jumper-punching two different players, then following with an intentional punch to the body. And Neale was playing the victim!

Quite possibly, but they were not the same offence.
845f09dd8c289e1d997ecf91072c9aff

That's a fist
Redman's shove also deflects off Newcombe's shoulder.
But the semantics don't really matter. Both struck a player in the head. One got a week, the other didn't and we're 1.5 rds into the season.

Certainly not the same offence, but they each fall into the category of a strike, yet different outcomes with the only explanation being "in the contest"

Same frustration as every year. Consistency.

He didn't shove with his fist, video shows a forearm. But I will accept the technicality.

Redman shoved with two hands to the face.
To be fair as well, AFL doesn't care about fist v open hand. So a bit of a moot point i guess.

I did note a similar incident with bailey on the weekend hitting a freo player high.
So we've got suspension, fine and no citation for 3 incidents.

Still operating too much in the grey on these incidents imo.

Oh the Tex one where the guy 8 inches taller and 30 kilos heavier went for a cheap, late bump and came off 2nd best. I remember that one well.
Bumps ain’t cheap kneeing someone on a footy field is a dog act.
The fact that he did it three times shows it was a premeditated act unlike judds pressure point.
Agree to disagree
Consistency will create credibility in the MRP
Same with opinions

Bumps ain’t cheap kneeing someone on a footy field is a dog act.
The fact that he did it three times shows it was a premeditated act unlike judds pressure point.
Agree to disagree
Consistency will create credibility in the MRP
Same with opinions
Tex Walker was attempting to run through Sam Mitchell. He simply lifted his leg to proctect himself.

Just like the time that a former Crows ruckman thought he saw an opportunity to flatten a Port midfielder. That didn't work out too well either.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Semi Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back