MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

So you’re agreeing with me then that a mitigating factor is Duggans movement in the tackle and that Cameron doesn’t have 100% control over the tackle to hold the tackle up like the AFL will argue.

As soon as you pin the arms you are beyond screwed, do I like it not really but I understand it

As soon as you pin the arms you are beyond screwed, do I like it not really but I understand it

I think the distinguishing factor is Duggan is hugging the ball with both hands, unlike other tackles where the ball is in one hand and the tackler pins that arm + the free arm. How do you tackle a player that is hugging the ball like that? The answer is don’t take them to ground. How do you do that when the other player turns to go to ground or break the tackle? I don’t know the answer.

I think the distinguishing factor is Duggan is hugging the ball with both hands, unlike other tackles where the ball is in one hand and the tackler pins that arm + the free arm. How do you tackle a player that is hugging the ball like that? The answer is don’t take them to ground. How do you do that when the other player turns to go to ground or break the tackle? I don’t know the answer.

They will say you could have brought him to the side and not gone full straight down on his head. I don't disagree with you but we saw how farcical the tribunal was last week, lets just say the clowns in there have no idea how the game is played. Give more hope to Bedford being let off personally.

Yet the AFL is still teaching auskick kids to pin both arms at junior footy?
When do we get to the point the player with the ball once tackled is no longer allowed to try and break tackle? The player trying to break the tackle is half to blame for these things.

Both these two tackles have been given 3 weeks suspension, both of these tackles would not warrant a free kick in any era of the sport.

Something simply does not add up.

They will say you could have brought him to the side and not gone full straight down on his head. I don't disagree with you but we saw how farcical the tribunal was last week, lets just say the clowns in there have no idea how the game is played. Give more hope to Bedford being let off personally.

Yeah no I know, the tribunal will do as the tribunal does. I’m more arguing based on what’s reasonable and in the spirit of our game. Trying to guess how the AFL will want to interpret their own rules is a waste of time.

I suppose it comes down to who you think has the strength in the tackle. And how that strength influences the direction, force etc. The fact that Duggan is able to use strength to turn his body and bring the momentum in a certain direction tells me cameron doesn’t have 100% control as the AFL is arguing.

Yet the AFL is still teaching auskick kids to pin both arms at junior footy?
When do we get to the point the player with the ball once tackled is no longer allowed to try and break tackle? The player trying to break the tackle is half to blame for these things.

Both these two tackles have been given 3 weeks suspension, both of these tackles would not warrant a free kick in any era of the sport.

Something simply does not add up.

I put more of this fault on the useless umpires. They get told to call held/ball/holding the ball quicker...what do they do? Diddly squat is what they do. Is Cameron not at fault, that's the question. My personal belief is he's going to struggle when they say he should have brought him to the side.

Yeah no I know, the tribunal will do as the tribunal does.

I suppose it comes down to who you think has the strength in the tackle. And how that strength influences the direction, force etc. The fact that Duggan is able to use strength to turn his body and bring the momentum in a certain direction tells me cameron doesn’t have 100% control as the AFL is arguing.

Doubt that will matter, now we are at a stage where any head impact you have an issue. Better question is both Bedford and Cameron why even do it in games you are belting the opposition. Do I believe they should be suspended no, but neither should have Heeney last week.

Cameron was driving his opponent backwards with pinned arms. Is it not reasonable that he attempt to roll his opponent onto his side to mitigate the changes of his head hitting the ground?

At least Bedford rolled his opponent and landed alongside him when they hit the ground. Not throw his entire body weight on top of the player with arms pinned driving with his legs.

Cameron's was a pretty decent rugby tackle, unfortunately the AFL doesn't like driving tackles with pinned arms and players dropping their body weight into a tackle where the head hits the ground.
Didn't have both arms pinned. Cameron grabbed the right arm, but he had hold of the torso under Duggan's left arm. It wasn't pinned.

Doubt that will matter, now we are at a stage where any head impact you have an issue. Better question is both Bedford and Cameron why even do it in games you are belting the opposition. Do I believe they should be suspended no, but neither should have Heeney last week.

Because I think the alternative if you actually consider the context rather than result is to not tackle. I don’t know how Charlie or Bedford reasonably approach those tackles any differently other than not to tackle.

Because I think the alternative if you actually consider the context rather than result is to not tackle. I don’t know how Charlie or Bedford reasonably approach those tackles any differently other than not to tackle.

They will say rather going straight down Cameron could have released to the side minimizing impact. I don't love this way of thinking from the AFL but you watch that's what they will say. Did Cameron err on his 'duty of care' look I have my personal view but I doubt the AFL has the same one

I put more of this fault on the useless umpires. They get told to call held/ball/holding the ball quicker...what do they do? Diddly squat is what they do. Is Cameron not at fault, that's the question. My personal belief is he's going to struggle when they say he should have brought him to the side.

Duggan is trying to break the tackle and hence trying to pull away, which by natural instinct the tackler will increase force to stop player getting away.
I agree with what you say but it should not be even at a tribunal and should not even be a discussion.
It is ridiculous, the way things are going we will have half our teams out suspended weekly.
And what we are calling concussion now is vastly different to what concussion was before. I seriously question whether half these guys even have concussion. 99% of the time once your head hits the ground you are put in these protocols and every doc will just cover his butt and say he is concussed.
The game is in real trouble, the fabric of the sport has a problem.

They will say rather going straight down Cameron could have released to the side minimizing impact. I don't love this way of thinking from the AFL but you watch that's what they will say. Did Cameron err on his 'duty of care' look I have my personal view but I doubt the AFL has the same one
Yeah, that is the clincher on the CC tackle. He "should" have turned him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL wants to reduce concussions there are lots of options other than suspending players.
  • require all players to wear soft helmets like Darcy Jones
  • make the ground surfaces softer - when the NRL State of Origin was held at the MCG a number of league people commented how much firmer the AFL grounds are
  • reduce congestion and tackles by cutting on field numbers to 15 or 16 a side and/or requiring each team to have at least 3 players in the defensive and forwards 50 arcs at every stoppage
  • don't allow tackles to take players to the ground. If a player is tackled while standing and can't get the ball away then it's an automatic holding the ball free kick
They could also a) take the next 10 percentage points growth in Total Player Payments and set up a future fund to pay for concussion victims, and b) pay more for better insurance to cover concussions.

Duggan is trying to break the tackle and hence trying to pull away, which by natural instinct the tackler will increase force to stop player getting away.
I agree with what you say but it should not be even at a tribunal and should not even be a discussion.
It is ridiculous, the way things are going we will have half our teams out suspended weekly.
And what we are calling concussion now is vastly different to what concussion was before. I seriously question whether half these guys even have concussion. 99% of the time once your head hits the ground you are put in these protocols and every doc will just cover his butt and say he is concussed.
The game is in real trouble, the fabric of the sport has a problem.

Unfortunately lets just call a spade a spade here. This is all so the AFL have to be seen to be doing something after Shephard and Picken are trying to sue the AFL (among others those two just come to mind).

I would like the AFL just once to come out and tell us what do you honestly expect players to do and use examples. These guidelines are trash too, there needs to be a clear distinction between football and non footy acts. How does the 1 non footy action only get a week lol

Yeah I understand what the afl will argue but the view I’m expressing is different to that.

I think it’s ultimately a fanciful argument that there was a reasonable opportunity to release and turn to the side for two reasons…1) speed of the incident for that a release to occur…2) even if it did, if you watch the footage Duggan turning and pulling moves the tackle in a completely different direction such that I think the outcome is the same either way.

To boil it down, ultimately the AFLs position in these matters is a have their cake and eat it too approach, devoid of the reality of what’s going on. So I have no doubt the suspension will remain.

Yeah I understand what the afl will argue but the view I’m expressing is different to that.

I think it’s ultimately a fanciful argument that there was a reasonable opportunity to release and turn to the side for two reasons…1) speed of the incident for that a release to occur…2) even if it did, if you watch the footage Duggan turning and pulling moves the tackle in a completely different direction such that I think the outcome is the same either way.

Mate just last week we had these clowns tell Heeney he should have eyes in the back of his head (yet very few players called that one out...funny that), if they get him for not going to the side I won't be surprised. It is why Bedford is more likely to get off as there was a side twist at the end. Look none of them should be suspensions lets make this clear. Can we have a new table where non footy acts are the 3-4 week ones and the footy acts are the 1 week/fines. It's not hard.

Mate just last week we had these clowns tell Heeney he should have eyes in the back of his head (yet very few players called that one out...funny that), if they get him for not going to the side I won't be surprised. It is why Bedford is more likely to get off as there was a side twist at the end. Look none of them should be suspensions lets make this clear. Can we have a new table where non footy acts are the 3-4 week ones and the footy acts are the 1 week/fines. It's not hard.

Yeah I was vocal about the Heeney suspension being ridiculous. They’ve doubled down this week.

Yeah I was vocal about the Heeney suspension being ridiculous. They’ve doubled down this week.

Lets just say I couldn't care less about a Brownlow but it's the principle, that was farcical. How do we have guidelines that have strikes off the ball ending in a week and tackles getting 3+, which one is part of the game? Honestly if they gave Cameron a week, and Bedford a week, I'd be whatever they opponent is out for a game, them serving one is about right. But 3 week, this is where it's ridiculous, how is it 0 or 3 and nothing in between

I can't believe that more fans are not up in arms over these ridiculous suspensions. This is boycott the sport type of suspensions.
Just shows how little the fans care about the sport these days.

This week just typifies it. We had a bloke elbow someone off the ball, two tackles. Honestly go to a pub and ask 10 blokes which one should get a higher suspension. There's the issue.

This week just typifies it. We had a bloke elbow someone off the ball, two tackles. Honestly go to a pub and ask 10 blokes which one should get a higher suspension. There's the issue.

Which basically shows that the sport and the league are a laughing stock and it is no wonder that 80% of the fans view it as entertainment instead of as a tribal sport.

The tribunal has allocated 2.5 hours for the Cameron case this arvo lol
4pm: Charlie Cameron
6:30pm: Toby Bedford
7:45pm: Alex Davies

This is going to trigger Collingwood fans.

The AFL has rolled out three week suspensions for Bedford and Cameron as the evil actions of players looking to hurt their opponents.

Yet considered these two tackles from Brayden Maynard to be awesome play.

Its pure luck that neither Walters or Switkowski had their heads hit the ground when Maynard slammed their bodies into it.

Aren't players taught to turn their bodies to protect themselves when approaching the footy and isn't that exactly what Davies has done here? Jones' fumble is unfortunate, but not Davies fault, and once Jones fumbles shouldn't he be turning into the footy rather than going head first?

No you're taught not to hit someone front on when they have their head over the ball. Jones doesn't turn towards Davies or move forward, he simply bends over to pick up the ball and Davies comes in and hits him from front on. Something players have been told not to do since Byron Pickett was umpired out of Port Adelaide nearly 20 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back