MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Grading Davies in the same light as Bedford - 3 weeks - is hilarious.
Its a mess. If we are accepting the tackles are wrong its 1 week for the tackles and 3 for Davies. 2-3 for the elbow

This is a severely dramatic response.

See Jon Ralph’s tweets for context.

The tackle isn’t going anywhere. Just don’t pin the arms & slam them.
Not at all.. if the player is carrying the ball in one arm the tackle needs to hold him and pin the other arm.

if the other arm is free the player will make the punching action on the ball and there's no holding the ball anymore.

May be AFL should ask the player getting tackled to drop the ball and accept he has been caught, let's see how far that goes.

Jon Ralph is a journo and an absolute muppet trying to fly the flag before decisions are made.

Why the fk are the AFL so anal about concussions?

The UFC for example hasn't introduced any changes to concussion protocols.

In fact, Dana White recently introduced Slap Fighting which is like the most concussion heavy sport the world has ever seen.
The state athletic commissions have though. Suspensions of 3+ months for fighters who have been knocked out.

I feel like the Cameron tackle is easily avoided by the knowledge that the ball up whistle is coming. Cameron didn’t need to drive him. Was it terrible? No. But to me I thought it was the sort of forceful action the AFL are trying to avoid by tweaking the HTB & ball-up whistle. So I don’t have as much problem with that outcome. 3 weeks is harsh and is based purely on a concussion occurring, I’d prefer the action (standing & then driving) to be a week and remove the fact that the head hit the turf from the penalty.

Not sure outside of injury how Bedfords tackle was any different to Dangerfield. 3 v 0. Both chase down tackles with the tackles player falling forwards. Concussion v no concussion. Are we really arguing one tackle is dangerous & one isn’t Because one player got concussed & one player only got his brain rattled slightly ?

And neither tackle was still as dangerous as Maynard’s sling on Powell but because Powells head didn’t hit the ground (good fortune, not good skill) it wasn’t even cited.
Both Cameron and Elliot Yeo have said that force going backwards that everyone is calling the driving action from Cameron was due to Duggan trying to get out of the tackle.

I don’t recall so many blokes getting hurt in tackles 20 years ago
Is this a new phenomenon? And an unforeseen result of other rule changes? Players are very good now at standing in a tackle & still disposing of the ball

I don’t have a problem with the Cameron one, definitely looked like some malice & intention to injure. Always thought Cameron an A grade sniper
Bedford one looked accidental, just momentum, very unlucky

I guess the takeaway is if you tackle vigorously & concuss your opponent you are done. Similar to bumping. I don’t have a problem with it so long as it is applied consistently

The ugliest action of the weekend received the lightest sentence, which is ironic

Its a mess. If we are accepting the tackles are wrong its 1 week for the tackles and 3 for Davies. 2-3 for the elbow
Davies was contesting a loose ball and did not elect to bump. Not sure why that is worth 3. Port also argued that he didn't elect to bump and was contesting a loose ball as is his right.

Why the fk are the AFL so anal about concussions?

The UFC for example hasn't introduced any changes to concussion protocols.

In fact, Dana White recently introduced Slap Fighting which is like the most concussion heavy sport the world has ever seen.

I agree, handle lawsuits as they come. Pretty hard to prove the sport is totally responsible for your issues.

Davies was contesting a loose ball and did not elect to bump. Not sure why that is worth 3. Port also argued that he didn't elect to bump and was contesting a loose ball as is his right.

The Davies one is horribly dangerous it’s the exact action we don’t need player over the ball needs protection. Gone are the Bryon Pickett days

I don’t recall so many blokes getting hurt in tackles 20 years ago
Is this a new phenomenon? And an unforeseen result of other rule changes? Players are very good now at standing in a tackle & still disposing of the ball

I don’t have a problem with the Cameron one, definitely looked like some malice & intention to injure. Always thought Cameron an A grade sniper
Bedford one looked accidental, just momentum, very unlucky

I guess the takeaway is if you tackle vigorously & concuss your opponent you are done. Similar to bumping. I don’t have a problem with it so long as it is applied consistently

The ugliest action of the weekend received the lightest sentence, which is ironic

The concussion warriors will come out and say that 20 years ago they were all getting concussed yet not being diagnosed.

Go back to the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and there was no more violent time in the sport. They all seemed ok though.

This is not evolving, this is changing the sport.

It wont be long and a player will go in for a tackle. There will be a head knock. Player suspended for 3 weeks. AFL tell player he should have anticipated the head contact in the moment and turned his body.

IT will happen.

Laura Kane, who never even played the game is single handedly destroying it.

Thats what happens when you gift people jobs.

Yep token appointments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Davies one is horribly dangerous it’s the exact action we don’t need player over the ball needs protection. Gone are the Bryon Pickett days
It wasn't that bad but it was careless. A.D had to be more aware in that situation

This is a severely dramatic response.

See Jon Ralph’s tweets for context.

The tackle isn’t going anywhere. Just don’t pin the arms & slam them.

There is no point in tackling if you are not pinning the arms. The whole point is to tackle so they can’t dispose of it.

The concussion warriors will come out and say that 20 years ago they were all getting concussed yet not being diagnosed.

Go back to the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and there was no more violent time in the sport. They all seemed ok though.

This is not evolving, this is changing the sport.
If the AFL wants less concussions they can easily fix it by bringing in zones, AND OR reducing player numbers to 16 to remove the fast play and the congestion.

There is no point in tackling if you are not pinning the arms. The whole point is to tackle so they can’t dispose of it.
Collingwood players have been training different methods for tackling. I've seen rolling, pulling them backwards, and then Maynard just picked someone up.

At the end of the day there's always the potential for injury.

It wasn't that bad but it was careless. A.D had to be more aware in that situation

100% wasn’t deliberate but that was the one that was worth the 3 weeks. The other two not sure. It’s an issue with the table though. If Cameron and Bedford got a week would anyone be complaining? The fact that Rosas was the worst and got only one is farcical

Collingwood players have been training different methods for tackling. I've seen rolling, pulling them backwards, and then Maynard just picked someone up.

At the end of the day there's always the potential for injury.

It won’t matter what they train, accidents will happen and that’s how they should be treated. As accidents.

I'll not be attending this weeks game in protest of these garbage new tackling rule interpretations. It has the same stench & hallmarks of the 'Umpire Dissent' crisis a couple of years back, when players were copping 50m penalties for simply putting their arms out to question a decision. Andrew Dillon and his cohorts need to pull their head's right in again.

I'll not be attending this weeks game in protest of these garbage new tackling rule interpretations. It has the same stench & hallmarks of the 'Umpire Dissent' crisis a couple of years back, when players were copping 50m penalties for simply putting their arms out to question a decision. Andrew Dillon and his cohorts need to pull their head's right in again.
You're better off attending and holding up a placard to the effect of "GAGF AFL" - which the AFL will see as a compliment, believing it to mean "Giving Astutely Good Findings"

Good to see that both Brisbane and the Giants are now appealing the tribunal's decisions on the Cameron and Bedford tackles.

The appeals probably won't be successful either but it at least sends a message to the AFL that they aren't accepting this bullshit.

James Sicily last year did....

Higgins copped 3 weeks for his tackle this year too.

The AFL don't have a problem handing out over the top suspensions for tackles by certain players from certain Victorian clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back