MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the fk are the AFL so anal about concussions?

The UFC for example hasn't introduced any changes to concussion protocols.

In fact, Dana White recently introduced Slap Fighting which is like the most concussion heavy sport the world has ever seen.

It's a tough game to like at the moment. Disappointed that both Bedford and Cameron will be missing weeks.

I'm looking forward to a star player missing an entire finals series because of these rules and interpretations.

Damn, if it's a qualifying final and my team is winning and Nick Daicos/Patrick Cripps/Isaac Heeney/Lachie Neale (for example) takes me down I'm faking a concussion to see him miss three weeks knowing that I'll have a week off to recover anyway.

it is in the last min of an Elimination Final, a kick in it and Player A bursts through the pack in the centre of the Gabba (ala Cricket Pitch).

But Player B chases after him, dives to tackle, and catches him and pins his arms to prevent the handball to his close-by teammates. He doesn't get him in the back but he can't stop his momentium and gravity from falling and going to the ground Player A hits his head on the hard turf and gets up a bit groggy.

Still, the ump plays holding the ball. His team wins and everyone celebrates this match-saving action, they are through to the semi. Player B is a hero.

On Monday, Player B gets 3 weeks and misses the rest of the final series.....

A suspension is a joke, let alone 3 weeks. Something needs to change

I think it’s a very simple directive from the AFL, don’t tackle. Players just aren’t following it yet.

Don’t be surprised that within 10-15 years, tackling is outlawed altogether.

Daicos should be scrutinised for every single action he does from now. Have the microscope on him for every single tackle he makes. Hold the AFL accountable and see if they stick to their guns. The backlash and fallout from one of their star players like Nick Daicos being rubbed out for a regulation tackle would be interesting to say the least.
They won't do anything if its Daicos or Pendlebury or Bontenpelli or Cripps or Dangerfield. Heck Bont got off after fracturing Nick Haynes Larynx and still played next week. No different to Cotchin getting off after injuring Shiel. AFL won't give a fck and fold quickly if it's a high profile player or someone from a big club.

It's always farcical when AFLs favourite sons are under the gun.

it is in the last min of an Elimination Final, a kick in it and Player A bursts through the pack in the centre of the Gabba (ala Cricket Pitch).

But Player B chases after him, dives to tackle, and catches him and pins his arms to prevent the handball to his close-by teammates. He doesn't get him in the back but he can't stop his momentium and gravity from falling and going to the ground Player A hits his head on the hard turf and gets up a bit groggy.

Still, the ump plays holding the ball. His team wins and everyone celebrates this match-saving action, they are through to the semi. Player B is a hero.

Sounds like Sicily last year (not an elimination final but the tackle and winning the free)

The AFL sadly, is just following in the direction of broader Australian society, it will never be the great place it once was.

It’s been overtaken by the destructive forces of ‘Group Think’, the cult of ‘Stay Safe’, the progressive DEI brigade, over the top bureaucracy’s, and a narcissistic, self serving political class.

If Crocodile Dundee was made today the main character would be a whiny little bitch, who drives an electric car in the outback, shits his pants when someone sneezes next to him, and is in the process of transitioning into a she/her.

Afl leadership is what needs to change and dog whistling to PR interest groups and lawyers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s a very simple directive from the AFL, don’t tackle. Players just aren’t following it yet.

Won’t even take that long. I think it’s very clear the AFL are actively trying to discourage players from tackling. Sort of a sneaky way of phasing it out of the game.

I feel like the Cameron tackle is easily avoided by the knowledge that the ball up whistle is coming. Cameron didn’t need to drive him. Was it terrible? No. But to me I thought it was the sort of forceful action the AFL are trying to avoid by tweaking the HTB & ball-up whistle. So I don’t have as much problem with that outcome. 3 weeks is harsh and is based purely on a concussion occurring, I’d prefer the action (standing & then driving) to be a week and remove the fact that the head hit the turf from the penalty.

Not sure outside of injury how Bedfords tackle was any different to Dangerfield. 3 v 0. Both chase down tackles with the tackles player falling forwards. Concussion v no concussion. Are we really arguing one tackle is dangerous & one isn’t Because one player got concussed & one player only got his brain rattled slightly ?

And neither tackle was still as dangerous as Maynard’s sling on Powell but because Powells head didn’t hit the ground (good fortune, not good skill) it wasn’t even cited.

This is a severely dramatic response.

See Jon Ralph’s tweets for context.

The tackle isn’t going anywhere. Just don’t pin the arms & slam them.

Dangerfields was the identical motion to Bedfords, and before we go down the “one was concussed and the other wasn’t” path, that didn’t seem to matter in Reid’s case either.

So where are we at? How can there be so much inconsistency and grey area open for manipulation

I don’t understand how GWS didn’t utilise this more in their defence. Just repeat what Dangeefield said about how it was definitely the safest way to tackle

I thought the Sicily suspension last year was the worst I've seen, but these Cameron and Bedford decisions take the cake. I can kinda understand how Cameron gets time off (though a week at most, not 3), but Bedford was completely and utterly screwed over! Did not deserve any weeks. Especially when Danger drives Walsh's head into the ground as is free to play the following week.

If it's not the umpires ****ing up the game, it's the MRP.

Just don’t pin the arms & slam them.
I never understand why people make this comment, "don't pin the arms". It's literally how everyone is taught to tackle. If you don't pin the arms, then they are free to dispose of the ball, rendering the tackle ineffective. Also, if you're chasing someone with his arms beside him, how do you tackle without pinning them?

I have absolutely no idea what Bedford could have done differently?

Monkey😂😂😂😂

Completely and utterly clueless if you think they are anything alike.

It’s clear a few posters need to read the rules about dangerous tackles.
Well I guess you must be right because of your superior use of emojis and the words clueless and utterly.

Allow me to retort with my learnings.

Totally and comprehensively deluded if you think they are completely different.

:straining::straining::straining::straining:

It’s clear a few posters need to approach discussions without bias towards their own team and prospective GOAT’s.

I'm looking forward to a star player missing an entire finals series because of these rules and interpretations.
Will never happen. The AFL will manufacture the result they want and that will be the one that maximises revenue.

A Victorian player wouldn't be copping a 3 week ban for those tackles.

It wont be long and a player will go in for a tackle. There will be a head knock. Player suspended for 3 weeks. AFL tell player he should have anticipated the head contact in the moment and turned his body.

IT will happen.

Laura Kane, who never even played the game is single handedly destroying it.

Thats what happens when you gift people jobs.

Afl leadership is what needs to change and dog whistling to PR interest groups and lawyers.
AFL two major roles currently held by Lawyers which reminds me of the old gag about ending up stranded on an island 🏝 with a Lawyer and a Lion 🦁 with a gun and one bullet. The advice was to shoot the Lawyer and take your chances with the Lion

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 23 - The Derby Dustup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back