MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Finals Week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I mistimed smother that ended someones career and resulted in 0 weeks, a mistimed tackle gets you 3 weeks.

Both Cripps & Maynard decisions are the worst in recent history, funnily enough both play for big Victorian clubs and had milestones riding on the outcome.
Could add Cotchin to that list.
On the flip side, Barry Hall and Andrew Dunkley want to apply to join this select group (Edit as South Melbourne members lol)

If I was tribunal chairman, I'd be giving Bedford a stern warning and reprimand but he would be let off, I wouldn't have suspended him in the first place.

As for Cameron, his attack on Duggan was quite brutal and somewhat unnecessary so the suspension would stand IMO.
What would the stern warning be for?

'Refrain from chasing and applying a tackle in the future'?

Bedford getting 3 weeks, is just disgusting and embarrassing to the game of AFL

If Hawthorn wasn’t in the AFL, I would give the game the boot, it’s becoming soft as butter

Yep, people love their clubs way more than the sport these days, and that’s entirely on the AFL.

I wasn't referring to any specific example.

It's completely inconsistent when you're watching a game when some umpires sometimes immediately blow the whistle for a ball up, and other times let the tackle linger and ping the player for holding the ball.

Maybe it's different umpires applying the rules differently?

I'd like to see all umpires consistently do what you do, and blow the whistle quickly when a player is tackled without prior opportunity, and when they have prior opportunity give them the opportunity to release the ball legally (and ping them if they don't or can't).
Yeah agree it all seems pretty simple. Individual interpretation is definitely a factor. It gets a bit grey considering the AFL doesn’t want stoppages and you have blokes like Cripps who can perhaps fight through a tackle. If safety is the factor though a blanket rule seems to be the way to go.
Think most umpires just want the ball “knocked out in the tackle” so we don’t have to make a decision. Probably why there is so many throws these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bedford getting 3 weeks, is just disgusting and embarrassing to the game of AFL

If Hawthorn wasn’t in the AFL, I would give the game the boot, it’s becoming soft as butter
True story.

Showed the video to my better half (who doesn’t follow anything except when the game is on) and asked her to pick the reportable offence.
She watched the entire footage twice, and said to me “Was it the high tackle by the GWS #37?” which was 25 seconds after the Bedford tackle.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Just posting my "reasonable" outrage over the Bedford decision.

Stop punishing the outcome. Accidents happen. The only player who tried to hurt someone only got 1 week. The only player who was careless got 3.

The other 2 were complete accidents, especially Bedford. If the player didnt get concussed, then would they have been sighted......

People need to stop blaming the AFL on this and start looking at Parliament and the Courts. They are the ones that write, interpret and develop laws that allow for people to sue in this way.

It's the same as people yelling at cops for giving them a fine or at teachers for not stopping bullying - they cop the brunt because noone actually thinks about the fact that they didn't make the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Finals Week 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back