Portfolio My AFL Alternative History - New Millennium, New History!

Remove this Banner Ad

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits

What If I Created the AFL from the VFL?
What Would Be Different?
What Would stay the Same?

In the Lead up to the 2019 Grand Final, I would be showing you My Alternative AFL History. This would be done by a Timeline Style in which I show you all the Teams Home & Clash Jumpers in the 2000 Season.​

1989 - "Merge, Relocate, Expand!"
In 1989, in an Interview with the VFL CEO Ross Oakley, the VFL has now adopted a new strategy to lead the Competition into the Future. The Strategy is 'Merge, Relocate, Expand'.
Merge and Relocate - The VFL knows that in a National Competition 11 Victorian Clubs aren't Commercially and Economically Viable. This has been shown by the struggles of Footscray, Fitzroy, North Melbourne and St Kilda just to name a Few. The aim is to decrease the Amount of Victorian teams while still growing the game in other parts of the Country or to help clubs into the Future by Merging and creating new clubs.
Expand - With the success of the Eagles and the Bears, the VFL is looking to Expand into new Areas of the Country. This is to keep the Competition alive but also to Expand our Great Game across the country.

1990 - "VFL No More!"
In 1990, The VFL as Part of their National Expansion has adopted a new name of The Australian Football League. This is a massive step forward into having a Fully National Competition. AFL represents a National brand which the VFL Name never had. This has also been a big step to getting other clubs into the League from other states.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pro's and Con's of This History Compared to Actual History
Pro - Fitzroy Stays in Melbourne, Con - Footscray is no more
Pro - Tasmania Does now have a Team, Con - but does it actually End the North-South Divide?
Pro - Due to the Relocation of Richmond and Possible North, There is no need for an Expansion team to Canberra and one other Area.
Con - Richmond's Melbourne base is one of the biggest in Australia, would it actually hold up when the move to Canberra?
Pro - Due to Mergers and Relocations, there is now enough teams in Melbourne/ Victoria to be able to be Commercially and Economically Viable. This means that there will be no more Selling Games interstate, relocations or Mergers.
Pro - The Competition is now more of a National Competition with Less Victorian Clubs and More Interstate. Vic (8), Interstate (8).

Why wouldn't you just move North there instead of Richmond?
Well at the time (1990) North wasn't in as bad of trouble as Richmond were and also I though it would be interesting Relocating a team other than North, Bulldogs, Saints and Fitzroy and 1991 was the perfect opportunity to relocate the Tigers

Great portfolio here! One tip going forward, if you're going to have text on the presentation, put a white background behind it and lower the opacity to your liking. It will make the text stand out far better :)

1990 (Part 2) - "We are the Boys From Old... Footscray?"
View attachment 747521
You could try this one in red white and blue or maroon white and dark blue (Fitzroy pre colour tv) with the iconic FFC of Fitzroy, which also works for Footscray. And because the jumpers would be more Fitzroy than Footscray keep away all yellow (which Fitzroy didn’t use for many years anyway) and stick with Footscray colours.
As a side note I always thought the VFL stuffed up by not making the merger the Footscray Lions not the Fitzroy Bulldogs. I’m happy they did stuff that up. They really no clue about the western suburbs, and many had never even been there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Portfolio My AFL Alternative History - New Millennium, New History!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back