Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Names on jumpers?

• Good

Votes: 170 55.6%
  • Bad

Votes: 136 44.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs are running a promotion where you can get a printed named jumper if you order before April 30, and it arrives in June.
I've pre-ordered my Honeychurch jumper and a few other people ordered Griffen or Macrae tops while I was there.

Are many other clubs doing the same sort of thing as a promotion rather than an ongoing offer?

Well Hawkins got two jumpers ripped up by Hawthorn and ended up playing the 4th quarter in 'Walker' jumper.

That's one reason not to bother with names on the back.

Otherwise, make sure they have a few spares.

Well Hawkins got two jumpers ripped up by Hawthorn and ended up playing the 4th quarter in 'Walker' jumper.

That's one reason not to bother with names on the back.

Otherwise, make sure they have a few spares.

Yeah lol it's a bloody trial round . . . . .

I'm sure they will make spares when it gets implemented full time.

Also he had the wrong number aswell . . . . should we not bother with numbers aswell? lol

Walker played a ripper.
Considering our apparent ongoing need for a tall forward we should trade for him before he makes a name for himself ;)

Yeah lol it's a bloody trial round . . . . .

I'm sure they will make spares when it get implemented full time.

Also he had the wrong number aswell . . . . should we not bother with numbers aswell lol

He had two jumpers ripped up, they had to give him Walkers jumper who was an emergency.

Lesson learned for the AFL - make sure there's more than 2 jumpers because it looks a lot worse having the wrong name on the back compared to the wrong number.

He had two jumpers ripped up, they had to give him Walkers jumper who was an emergency.

Lesson learned for the AFL - make sure there's more than 2 jumpers because it looks a lot worse having the wrong name on the back compared to the wrong number.

Yes and i will say it again. It was a trial round :)

Next year i'm sure they will make more for each game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity the number size has been reduced.

At the game today I found it harder to see players on the other side of the ground as I can't read the names and the numbers looked about 20% smaller.

Pity the number size has been reduced.

At the game today I found it harder to see players on the other side of the ground as I can't read the names and the numbers looked about 20% smaller.
Since when do the AFL actually care about the people physically attending the game?

Since everyone was able to identify this Walker guy does that mean we're conceding the names work now?
I believe this man has won the thread.

I can't believe heaps of people think it's a bad idea. Think of all the people that don't follow footy as much as us that don't know everyone off the top of their head?

I think it's a great idea.

Look, its not a major issue.

For me what it comes down to - and I think I speak for most of the 'extremely delicate' when I say this - it just looks stupid.

It provides nothing and it looks stupid.

Did you mean to say it provides nothing except helping the TV viewer reference a face to name rather easily?

So after 8 games of it I've been proven 100% right

Its is of ZERO use to the fans as you cannot see them (at the ground or on TV) at all until theres a closeup of a player on the screen.
The names go over the GPS patch, so are bent and hard to read even if they do go closeup
The umpires dont need it, they know who players are
The commentators dont need it, they know who players are

So really its a cash grab, put them on guernseys you can buy at the team store, and leave it at that.

How can it be of zero use to fans when there are plenty of fans (myself included) that like the idea and have mentioned that they have learnt of new player's names thanks to having it on the jumper?

I'm assuming that people like arguing for the sake of arguing or are just ridiculously scared of change and of borrowing ideas from the North Americans or Europeans (likely due to some Aussie superiority complex)... People seem to fall in to one of two categories - 1) They like the fact that names on jumpers allow them to reference a player to a name easier than a number or 2) They don't like the names on jumpers but it doesn't take away from their viewing experience anyway. Either way, putting names on the back of jumpers hurts no-one, is of benefit to some people (the majority if this poll is to go by) and therefore is the logical move.

Variable ticket price structure, playing games in timeslots that suit TV networks and not patrons, things at games like kiss cam and hug cam, tweets showing up on big screens while play is happening, names on the back of tops.

Just another move to Americanise the game.
Yet I bet the advertising on the Essendon jumper doesn't bother you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Names on the back of jumpers - good or bad?

Back