Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Freddy was very fumbly and his hands have always been a weakness. He marks on his chest with surety but anything on the ground or above his head is dropped, fumbled or two grabs and it is so bloody costly at this level. All of the better players are clean with their ball handling.

His heart and effort cannot be questioned but those missed goals were not difficult and could have been so costly. He is also a liability in the ruck. Twinkle Toes Teakle looked like Goliath in the ruck against Krueger and constantly grabbed the pill and kicked or thumped it into dangerous territory. Frampton has to be the back up ruck. His mark at the end was fantastic but I saw more reminders as to why we need Mcstay and Checkers back as soon as possible today.

I think Freddy can still be a competitive target running out of our goal square until McStay returns.

Last edited:
He’s only played 11 games, has absolutely 0 continuity so there’s plenty of development still Gonna have a quiet game like all talls here and there but if he stays fit, I’d have him alongside Mcstay and checkers.

When Cameron rests mcstay rucks
I’d still prefer Kreuger ruck over McStay.

He’s only played 11 games, has absolutely 0 continuity so there’s plenty of development still Gonna have a quiet game like all talls here and there but if he stays fit, I’d have him alongside Mcstay and checkers.

When Cameron rests mcstay rucks
Yep. Has a few games to stake his claims before Cox is ready to return but I reckon the spot is his for now.

Look, I don't want to get ahead of myself here bit I think Freddy stays in for GC which will mark the first time he has ever played three in a row (assuming he doesn't get injured during the bye weekend and training).

Jack Crisp is feeling very nervous right now

Yep. Has a few games to stake his claims before Cox is ready to return but I reckon the spot is his for now.
I think he offers more than Cox. Seems better at making contests 50/50, is much more likely to score, and is way better at ground level and applying pressure.

I take all that over Cox’s ruck work

Not when Cox does everything else worse. His 30% time in the ruck doesn’t offset all that
That’s how I see it as well. Perfect example of it, when Freddy dropped that mark in the centre, he ended up laying a tackle inside 50 in the same chain. Cox has no ground game at all. It’s tap or mark and that’s it. With Mcstay back I think we have Ruck covered between him and Krueger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he offers more than Cox. Seems better at making contests 50/50, is much more likely to score, and is way better at ground level and applying pressure.

I take all that over Cox’s ruck work
I'm keen to see how he goes with checkers next to him. Freddy has some real talent

Impressed with his tackling today. He won the HTB free kick which allowed Schultz to goal on the quarter time siren, and he crunched McDonald and Comben a couple of times.

He's stupidly athletic for a big man, so he still poses a threat even if he's not marking it. And he's big enough not to get ragdolled, so he usually brings it to ground, which is a stark contrast from what we were getting before he came into the team.

Glad he found a way to contribute when things weren't going his way. And let's not forget that North dedicating their best defender to mind him allowed all of Howe, Schultz and Hill to take multiple contested grabs.

It wasn't spoken about on the coverage but was very apparent at the ground, after his awesome mark in the last, his kick down the line was idiocy.

Moore and others had made space behind the ball to square up and take 30-40 seconds off the clock and he kicked it straight down the line to the outnumber which North marked.

Love his effort and really hoping he can stay fit to see what he can be, but I didn't love the extreme lack of match awareness. Almost cost us the game.

Wasn't his best day by some margin, but he contributed, did a couple of good things and got on the scoreboard. Certainly handy enough to perservere with. Won't hold his spot when others return but decent depth and should get another year.
The flow of play didn't really go his way while the Roos were on top in the midfield, so I excuse him being quiet during the time we were being dominated. I would be giving him a big block of games. Like any other player, he'll have his up and down weeks, but if he succeeds, he's going to make us stronger.

But at the same time a fit Kruger doesn't leave it. Cox is not coming back anytime soon, so there's plenty of time for Kreuger to show that he truly belongs.
Yeah. Krueger will have probably played about 6 games by the time Cox is back. Has a chance to nail a spot. No idea if he'll take it.

Just some more on the Cox vs Kreuger discussion, I've got some stats from this season to highlight the respective strengths & weaknesses, and why I think this supports Kreuger staying in.

Cox is better at rucking, and taking those bigger pack marks (particularly floating back in the backline). I think Kreuger is better at mostly everything else.

CoxKreuger
Goals0.32.0
Score Involvements3.84.0
Contested marks1.40.5
Marks I500.72.0
Marks on lead0.31.0
Hitouts15.21.0
Hitout win %50.09.1

Last edited:
It wasn't spoken about on the coverage but was very apparent at the ground, after his awesome mark in the last, his kick down the line was idiocy.

Moore and others had made space behind the ball to square up and take 30-40 seconds off the clock and he kicked it straight down the line to the outnumber which North marked.

Love his effort and really hoping he can stay fit to see what he can be, but I didn't love the extreme lack of match awareness. Almost cost us the game.
Watching it on replay, you are right. Perhaps he thought his long kick would put the ball out of harms way, but he really should have looked at trying to retain possession.

Just some more on the Cox vs Kreuger discussion, I've got some stats to highlight the respective strengths & weaknesses, and why I think this supports Kreuger staying in.

Cox is better at rucking, and taking those bigger pack marks (particularly floating back in the backline). I think Kreuger is better at mostly everything else.

CoxKreuger
Goals0.32.0
Score Involvements3.84.0
Contested marks1.40.5
Marks I500.72.0
Marks on lead0.31.0
Hitouts15.21.0
Hitout win %50.09.1
Which games do these "stats" represent? One blokes played 100+ games and the other has played 6 (three of which he ended up injured)???

The way Kreuger plays you'd be better off comparing his stats to someone like Crisp or McCreery....he's a non marking KPF?

Watching it on replay, you are right. Perhaps he thought his long kick would put the ball out of harms way, but he really should have looked at trying to retain possession.

I could imagine it was visible at the ground, but which replay did you see that on?

Which games do these "stats" represent? One blokes played 100+ games and the other has played 6 (three of which he ended up injured)???

The way Kreuger plays you'd be better off comparing his stats to someone like Crisp or McCreery....he's a non marking KPF?
Just this season - will edit original post.

Kreuger is a marking on the lead and I50 than almost anyone on our team in his limited opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nathan Kreuger

Remove this Banner Ad

Back