Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned in a Nutshell

Some would say the missed set shot from 15m out is quintessential Ned, however this play to me sums up his career in about 8 seconds (clip is in half speed, playback speed at 2x for real time).

• Starts off with a trademark fumble, but let's absolve blame on this thanks to Woz's tumbler kick. But then, it's McHenrying time:
  • Takes possession, looks up, sees a defender ahead of him
  • Knows Hinge is behind him in the pocket, ignores him
  • Sees Curtin completely free in the pocket, could draw the defender then pass, ignores him
  • Has Crouch boundary side with Jones in effectively a 2 on 1 further afield for a hand ball, ignores them
  • Has Soligo with lots of space in front of him inboard, fakes a handball to him
  • Pulls the switch kick, which was a chance of being smothered to be fair

All while deciding instead to turn inboard, instead of towards the boundary, and retreat by handballing to the most dangerous spot instead of the aforementioned Curtin and Hinge who are both in a mountain of space with arms outstretched.

So I counted about 6 different options Ned had there - and the one he chose was to head back toward the opposition goal.

What a ******* dud.

A bit like senior Rowe spitting the dummy when Jimmy got delisted - these blokes should be grateful they got a go.
No other club saw enough in them to put them on a list and invest time and games into them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Rowey has actually said that he understands James getting cut as we were getting Rankine.

What he’s critical of is our lack of drafting an elite midfield and wasting picks on guys like McAsey, plus lack of players we’ve traded in, all valid criticisms.

I left that out as you could argue he's trying to handball to Worrell.

Yes, it was actually quite a good handball back to Worrell, but of course it was going to be intercepted by Keane because he's not going to let the ball lollop past his head back towards goal when he knows an opposition player is behind him.

Not giving the handball to Curtin was the crazy one there. He'd recovered from the fumble by then, Curtin was in oodles of space, with nobody in a position to block the handball, and Curtin had acres of empty space in front of him.

I do like how all the other Crows players just kind of stop and stand still watching him run in circles. As if they're saying "Oh man, here goes McHenry doing his thing again." All except for Curtin who presumably hasn't had time to get used to him yet, and instead gives a big "I'm wide open man, right here" arm motion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back