Opinion New AFC HQ: We're on like Donkey Kong!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you knew anything about the area you’d realise the trees mentioned are on the western side of Kings Reserve

And many of these trees weren’t there 40 years ago.

You remove trees, you replant more trees.

I went to games for 25 years at Thebby and how it is now is not how it was in 1989 (last year of games played there by West Torrens).

If what is proposed by the AFC gives greater access to the existing oval (which is does), the overall landscape is improved (inc additional tree planting), I’m not sure what this group is concerned/upset with.

Personally if I was them, I’d be more upset with the traffic that comes and goes out of the Brickworks Markets, 7 days a week.

And many of these trees weren’t there 40 years ago.

You remove trees, you replant more trees.

I went to games for 25 years at Thebby and how it is now is not how it was in 1989 (last year of games played there by West Torrens).

If what is proposed by the AFC gives greater access to the existing oval (which is does), the overall landscape is improved (inc additional tree planting), I’m not sure what this group is concerned/upset with.

Personally if I was them, I’d be more upset with the traffic that comes and goes out of the Brickworks Markets, 7 days a week.
I’m not defending them but it’s not as easy as saying plant more trees. I dare say they are wanting the trees partly for shade, planting new trees will take many years to get to adequate level

I’m not defending them but it’s not as easy as saying plant more trees. I dare say they are wanting the trees partly for shade, planting new trees will take many years to get to adequate level
I struggle to see the few that use the park fighting for shade under the trees, i think that less locals that may currently use the area won’t in spite

are they valid though? Your anti SA AFL teams is understandable when there's something impacting the local comp, but this is a bit out there. If the vast majority of residents don't care or are pro the development, why should anyone care about the vocal minority.
Well as we aren't an authoritarian dictatorship (despite how some councils act) their voices should be heard and accommodated to the extent possible. Compromise doesn't mean 'caving in' or 'bending over'.

The majority of trees currently in the reserve are eucalypts which are generally very fast growing so after a few years they will have the shade they crave.

Not sure they will be losing as many trees as they think.

In saying that I’m not an arborist.

The majority of trees currently in the reserve are eucalypts which are generally very fast growing so after a few years they will have the shade they crave.

Not sure they will be losing as many trees as they think.

In saying that I’m not an arborist.

So you're hardly going out on a limb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide off-season news: Stay up to date with everything happening at the Crows​

Fkj6q_wagAADnuA

Adelaide’s potential training ground move to Thebarton Oval has hit a hurdle after Land Services SA introduced a caveat over the Thebarton’s reassignment

The Adelaide Footy League is standing in the way of the Crows’ potential move to Thebarton Oval.
Land Services SA this week registered a caveat for the league over the ground, preventing West Torrens Council from reassigning the SANFL’s lease over to Adelaide without the grassroots football organisation’s approval.

Caveats stop property owners selling or registering any other interests on the land title until the injunction is removed, either through a court order or a withdrawal by who submitted it.

The Adelaide Footy League, which had been Thebarton Oval’s major tenant until 2019 and was now subleasing it from the SANFL, sought a caveat because it felt the state competition was offering inadequate compensation.

Three years ago, the Adelaide Footy League inserted a clause into its sublease with the SANFL that ensured first right of reply on any potential tenancy reassignment.

So the amateur league chose to be a sub tenant of the oval and now thinks it can have a say on the development?
It looks like they do? Bit like how we have rights to stay at West Lakes till 2048 (or so) and up to others to make it worth our while to leave before.

Was wondering where that sneaky gut punch had gotten to :sadv1:

Adelaide off-season news: Stay up to date with everything happening at the Crows​

Fkj6q_wagAADnuA

Adelaide’s potential training ground move to Thebarton Oval has hit a hurdle after Land Services SA introduced a caveat over the Thebarton’s reassignment

The Adelaide Footy League is standing in the way of the Crows’ potential move to Thebarton Oval.
Land Services SA this week registered a caveat for the league over the ground, preventing West Torrens Council from reassigning the SANFL’s lease over to Adelaide without the grassroots football organisation’s approval.

Caveats stop property owners selling or registering any other interests on the land title until the injunction is removed, either through a court order or a withdrawal by who submitted it.

The Adelaide Footy League, which had been Thebarton Oval’s major tenant until 2019 and was now subleasing it from the SANFL, sought a caveat because it felt the state competition was offering inadequate compensation.

Three years ago, the Adelaide Footy League inserted a clause into its sublease with the SANFL that ensured first right of reply on any potential tenancy reassignment.

Sure, they can get right of reply but surely the owner of the land can do as they please, including removing the league from the tenancy.

West Torrens residents call out Crows for linking North-South corridor project to Thebarton precinct lease proposal​

West Torrens residents have hit out at comments from the Crows chairman out of fear the club is eyeing off more land in the area outside of their original lease.

@Toddlewis23

less than 2 min read
December 19, 2022 - 9:13AM
Welcome to nginx!
b99378dbd9d5df4fc4334db7f77d03d751ac42b8.webp

THE ADVERTISER | 00:53

Torrens to Darlington flyover​

Comparison fly-through of the Torrens to Darlington designs.
West Torrens residents fear the Adelaide Football Club are eyeing off even more community land in their bid to adopt Thebarton Oval and Kings Reserve as their new home.
It comes after Crows chairman John Olsen told The Advertiser the revised Torrens to Darlington design was a major boost in the club’s quest to acquire the precinct.
Mr Olsen said the new design would allow people attending Crows AFLW games at Thebarton Oval to park on Kings Reserve.
Advertisement

He also highlighted the new green space adjacent to the North-South corridor as an area that will provide “further options to adopt suggestion from residents during the consultation period.”
But 5031 community facilities and green spaces action group spokesman Dave Conroy said the area had nothing to do with the lease that the Crows are applying for.
“We have been working in good faith and were hoping the revised plans for South Rd would provide a win-win for the club and community, but these comments suggest the club might be trying to handball some of its commitments to local residents,” Mr Conroy said.
“Mr Olsen said the Crows want to be a good neighbour, yet before they even move in they are already eyeing off even more of our community land and indicating they should have a say in how it will be used.”
Thebarton Oval, which t he Adelaide Crows want as their new home. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe

Thebarton Oval, which t he Adelaide Crows want as their new home. Picture: Naomi Jellicoe
Adelaide Crows artist impressions of their new base at Thebarton Oval. Picture: City Collective

Adelaide Crows artist impressions of their new base at Thebarton Oval. Picture: City Collective
He said the additional green space adjacent to the North-South corridor was welcomed, but should not be at the expense of Kings Reserve.
“We do not want to go backwards in our tree canopy cover,” Mr Conroy said.
Advertisement

“There is an opportunity for the Crows and West Torrens Council to consider a staged approach to their planned second training space.”
Mr Conroy called on Mr Olsen to meet them at the table and hear residents concerns.
Given the Crows’ first two proposals at North Adelaide and Brompton featured a much smaller sized second training space, we feel this staged approach is a reasonable compromise,” Mr Conroy said.
“Mr Olsen says in the paper he wants to ‘counter the misinformation that’s in the marketplace’ and ‘explain exactly what the Crows are doing’, but has yet to make any effort to engage with his potential new neighbours and elaborate on what these are.”

Any photos of this guy. The first David Conroy I find on Facebook indicates his key interest is Port Adelaide Football Club - would love to know if it’s him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So the amateur league chose to be a sub tenant of the oval and now thinks it can have a say on the development?

it probably can if SANFL is breaching a clause in their lease agreement. You'd think we'd already received advice on any sub-leases. Might be a big roadblock or something requiring a little bit of go away $. Caveats aren't expensive to put in place.

Sure, they can get right of reply but surely the owner of the land can do as they please, including removing the league from the tenancy.

You can place a caveat on any property provided you can prove you have a financial interest in such a property, which they obviously can being a sub-tenant.

Find out their concerns and deal with them.

I’d be more interested why now they are raising this.

The SANFL should have been keeping the AFC fully informed of these type of developments.

Hadnt the AdFL relocated many of their people already? I thought their new office was around Dulwich now?

Also - Got back from a Holiday today and looked out the window, 1 single individual utilising Kings Reserve today at about 11:05am.

Just give it to us already, would save the council money on unkeeping it for no reason as no one uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back