New Zealand 30 def. Australia 16 - Whats doing Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hicham

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Full Time: New Zealand 30 def. Australia 16

Half Time: New Zealand 14 v Australia 10

Im ****ed that the Kangaroos lost but hell, as a League fan, its about time we had a contest!

Forget about it being a 2nd, 3rd of 4th string Aussie side, they should have put NZ away, but they shot themselves in the foot big time.

Leading 16-14 and with a million mile an hour breeze up their arses, they didnt use their kicking game to the extent they should have. Gower should've taking over the kicking role and Kimmorley the organisational role.

Australia played a flat-attack style. Their was jack-**** depth in their backline running - thankyou Chris Anderson :mad:

New Zealand however finally believed in their defence and took pride in their line. New Zealand will never beat Australia unless they go out there confident in their ability and what they usually do rather than playing percentage footy - they finally did it.

Hamstead was fairly whistle happy, and there were 50/50 calls go both ways e.g Aussie knock-on off their own line and Gulavou's 'tackle' that should've been.

All in all however, Australia didn't put the Kiwis away like they should have and usually do. NZ finally turned up to play. New Zealand's true test will be when they next play a full strength line-up despite how good this Roos side was on paper.

The game was obviously closer that the scoreline suggestes, with the NZers putting on 3 tries close to full-time.

Standouts for mine:

Kangaroos:

The back 3 - Lockyer, Minichello and Sing, in the context of the game were very good and played hard, taking some heavy defence. Minichello performed above my expectation on the Wing.

Kiwis:

Tony, Sione F, Gutenbeil, Toopi and Anderson played Warriors style footy which NZ have a habit of steering away from in Test Matches.

In summary:

* Good for Test footy.
* Timely wake-up call for Roos.
* A hint to Anderson that flat attack is bad attack.
* Aussie forwards lacking mongrel.

Australia to bounce back and defeat the Poms 3-0 or win 2-1 and lose the last Test.

Cheers,

Hicham

To my knowledge - someone correct me if I'm wrong please:

Qld/NT, NSW, ACT: Live

Vic, Tas, SA, WA: Wasn't shown and wont be replayed. Have to rely on Fox.

Cheers,

Hicham.

Originally posted by ParraEelsNRL
can anyone please tell me if the game was live in w.a,s.a and melbourne please.

No, the cricket was shown instead

and people say that international league is dead:rolleyes:

I wouldn't be making judgements on that yet considering the team the Aussies put out (and I'm not saying the Kiwi one was that good either)

thanks all :)

you would think nine would show an international live into other states,damn there useless.

robbeiando what do you mean when you say you wont be making any judgments on it considering the teams?

as far as im concerned if your best players are injured you put a team out to play the best they can,and thats all you can really do isn't it?

international league is far from dead,there are more countries playing league now than there ever has been,so for me that says we are moving forward slowly,better than not moving at all.

by the way not having a go at you,but why is it you are always so negative about anything to do with league?when its quite clear that you know whats going on in league,are you a closset fan:D

Pom rugby league is definately becoming stronger and more competitive but i still doubt they can beat australia yet. Still the Poms will put up a good fight and there will hopefully be close games. I reckon the series will end up: 2-1 to the kangaroos

Originally posted by robbieando
I wouldn't be making judgements on that yet considering the team the Aussies put out (and I'm not saying the Kiwi one was that good either) [/B]
dont be so quick to put the nz win down to australian injuries. In all honesty the only person australia was missing was andrew johns and although he is the best player in the world, i dont think he is as important to the australian team and stacy jones is to new zealand and as you should know new zealand was missing their best player and captain stacy jones.

I never said we lost because we had players out, as pointed out New Zealand went in without the World's 2nd Best Player, what I meant was in response to someone saying "International League isn't dead yet" I was saying that you couldn't make that judgement without the 2 teams lining up with their best players and having a close match that rivals anything we have every seen before in terms of great matches.

Remember everyone in the AFL said in 1995 after the lap of honor of Ted Witten before the Vic vs SA match and the passion the Vics play with that day, said that State Of Origin still had life in it. Sadly it wasn't the case. One result doesn't change things yet, its a step in the right direction and NZ and GB are improving, but weather its enough to see International League return to what it was - the prinical of Rugby League.

Sure the result is a great boost in the arm for International League and hopefully it means the Ashes coming up is a close run series, but to say International League isn't dead yet is not telling the full story and is wishful thinking until results like today's happen more offen or at least Australia doesn't win most of its matches against NZ and GB in Australia by Cricket scores.

Still lets not take anything away from NZ and the match, special effect guys. Hopefully IRL keeps rising back to what it once was.

Just finished watching the game, and after a shaky start the lads settled in well.

Top games from, Nigel Vagana, who looked really good at fullback, Thomas Leuluai and Clinton Toopi. His last try was sensational.

Good solid effort by the forwards. Great crowd, 21,296 just short of Stadium capacity.

Hopefully this result might lead to a 3 match series, but I won't hold my breath.

Originally posted by AuckMel
Hopefully this result might lead to a 3 match series, but I won't hold my breath.

I doubt you'll see one, but I would love to see one, say over the course of the season. Say bring back the ANZAC Day Test, have one shortly after the SOO and have the End of Season match. Rotate venues (eg 2 in NZ and 1 in OZ one year and 2 in OZ and 1 in NZ the next)

I have a feeling that a Tri Nations isn't far off, where that would put a Kangaroo Tour to GB and the same with NZ I don't know but there isn't a reason in the world why we couldn't have one based on the RU version (ie Home and Away) yearly

One thing I think the move to Summer has cost GB is that they couldn't have a tour of Australia like they use to and the same goes with this years Kangaroo Tour, why the hell we aren't playing club side I don't know, its not like their season ended too long ago.

It was a good match, and a better more intense tussle than the union I switched over to straight afterwards.

The Kiwis would probably have been more match-hardened due to most of them being involved with the Warriors up until the 2nd last game of the year.

A good contest, a big loud crowd, and a wake-up call the Kangaroos probably needed pre England.

Weirdly sometimes it isn't actually that bad to see Australia lose in RL if it is a good match. It was today.

JF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kangaroos looked very, very rusty. Very dissapointing, they missed a lot of tackles and let in 2 or 3 very soft tries. I think they should have picked a lot more Panthers players......guys like Lockyer and Kimmorley really did look like they hadn't played for a while.

The major problem I had though was that the Kangaroos players (the majority of them) just seemed like they didn't want to play....or at least no more than they'd want to play a club game. They just didn't look that interested....then you look at the kiwi players who were playing with a lot of passion and determination it was just really dissapointing from our boys. There has to be more pride in the jersey I think.

Hopefully they can improve for the games against Great Britain, because on that performance we deserve to get flogged.

1 thing that is really getting to me is,nine says that they are putting the 3 tests on live (which is great)but we also play Wales,in the last world cup Wales v Australia was 1 of the best games of international league ive ever seen.why are nine not putting this game on?

the way that union is going over in Wales now you would think that the league would really promote this game as Wales are ready for the picking.The Welsh could be the dark horse of this series,as we all know how passionate they are.

nine has not mentioned once the matches against Wales or a French 13 and the super league champs,come on nine pull your finger out.

Originally posted by ParraEelsNRL
1 thing that is really getting to me is,nine says that they are putting the 3 tests on live (which is great)but we also play Wales,in the last world cup Wales v Australia was 1 of the best games of international league ive ever seen.why are nine not putting this game on?

the way that union is going over in Wales now you would think that the league would really promote this game as Wales are ready for the picking.The Welsh could be the dark horse of this series,as we all know how passionate they are.

nine has not mentioned once the matches against Wales or a French 13 and the super league champs,come on nine pull your finger out.

Easy the match against Wales and the French team aren't official Tests, just tour matches. Look at this way Ch 9 wouldn't be the ones covering the match, BSkyB would be and Ch9 would be buying the footage off them so they can show it in Australia. Now I doubt BSkyB would be covering the Tour Matches and its very unlikely that Ch 9 would sent a TV crew over to the UK to show the matches that most people wouldn't have an interest in

Well done Kiwis.........deserved to win.

Any team that is coached by Anderson and Kimmorley is your halfback deserves to lose. I was cheering for NZ- when they picked that bench of Bailey, Mason and Villasanti, I knew NZ were specials. Those three did NOTHING and should not wear an Australian jumper again.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand 30 def. Australia 16 - Whats doing Roos?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back