NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Best ive seen in the league, with a good gap to second.
Great player and everyone has their own opinion, but not even in my top 5. Played quite a bit of Div2 footy and kicked bags against some pretty ordinary teams. No doubt he also performed against some of the best in Div1 as well. At the end of the day a great career and nice bag of tricks. Great to even be thought of in that way as one of the best.

Great player and everyone has their own opinion, but not even in my top 5. Played quite a bit of Div2 footy and kicked bags against some pretty ordinary teams. No doubt he also performed against some of the best in Div1 as well. At the end of the day a great career and nice bag of tricks. Great to even be thought of in that way as one of the best.
Won the Div 1 league best & fairest and 3 time league goalkicking leader including the last man to kick over 100 goals in a season (108 & 102 back to back years). Not bad for a bloke who played a lot of Div 2 footy.

Won the Div 1 league best & fairest and 3 time league goalkicking leader including the last man to kick over 100 goals in a season (108 & 102 back to back years). Not bad for a bloke who played a lot of Div 2 footy.
I acknowledged that he performed at Div1 level as well and had a great career.

Just not in my Top 5 of all time IMO.

List his Div2 stats as well!

As you say everyone has their opinion.

Loved the way he went about it and i think he could change a game quicker than anyone.

Jamie Shaw is the best I’ve seen. Justin Murphy probably second. I think the only knock on Shane’s career is that he never played in a Division 1 Premiership, unlike his cousin Blair who played in 5.

Last edited:
Jamie Shaw is the best I’ve seen. Justin Murphy probably second. I think the only knock on Shane’s career is that he never played in a Division 1 Premiership, unlike his cousin Blair who played in 5.
Would be hard to beat considering some of the hauls he kicked per season. Matt Dennis would have to be up there as the best in the last couple decades.

Matty Dennis 3 league medals (1 of only 2 players) 3 premierships. Multiple best and fairest. Grand final BOG. Hard to beat. But different supporters will have different views

Matty Dennis 3 league medals (1 of only 2 players) 3 premierships. Multiple best and fairest. Grand final BOG. Hard to beat. But different supporters will have different views

I am an opposition supporter....Matty Dennis is the best local footy player I have seen in past 15 years.

And a decent bloke as well.

Boro have had grouse luck with Caddy and Newnes.

Half these AFL blokes aren’t worth the trouble.

Do you know the reason behind Newnes moving on? Not sure he will be a massive loss in the overall position for the season, from the little I've seen of the Boro it's their other recruits that have had more of an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so?

Seen plenty of busts over the years

Caddy, Jong, Zaharakis all complete waste of money last year alone…
Can't really call Zaharakis a bust, when Bundoora knew his situation.
For every bust there have been a hell of alot of absolute guns, who have dominated. Your not going to give up the chance to recruit a quality player.

Can't really call Zaharakis a bust, when Bundoora knew his situation.
For every bust there have been a hell of alot of absolute guns, who have dominated. Your not going to give up the chance to recruit a quality player.
For every bust there is also a Saad, Moorcroft, Lloyd, Bower, Cam Cloke, honeychurch and gumbleton who have all had significant impacts at there clubs.

Do you know the reason behind Newnes moving on? Not sure he will be a massive loss in the overall position for the season, from the little I've seen of the Boro it's their other recruits that have had more of an impact.
Didn't like the job they got him I've heard.

Hopefully they focus on bringing through the talent they are obviously harbouring in their under 19's sides, seems like they're the team to beat in d1

West Preston to beat Banyule - huge ins with Saad and McDonagh, can't see the Bears matching it with the Roosters

Greensborough vs Heidelberg is tough - Barzen is a big loss to Heidelberg, but they get a few back from VFL lists so I think they will get over the top of the boro

Mont hosting Bundoora is another tough game to pick a winner - Binion makes Mont stronger, McEvoy is big for the Bulls - Might pick Mont here, but could go either way

North Heidelberg vs Macleod is another game that could go either way, however I'm sure North will get up on their home deck to send off a legend in Shane Harvey - they're a quality side who need a win

Whittlesea vs Hurstbridge - the battle of the farm boys/the blue and gold derby/The Yan Yean classic - Bridges have been very competitive and will be expecting to take a win - just need to snuff out any Whittlesea hopes early

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back