NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just cause Heidelberg threatened to move to the EFL doesn’t mean you bought about the downfall of Floyd.

I would have to politely disagree with you there. Heidelberg didn't just threaten to leave, they presented an overwhelming case that ultimately forced AFL Vic to conduct an investigation into the DVFL's finances - which would not have happened had they not tried to leave.

Could yes. But doesn't mean Greensborough are out of the finals race
I also think that Banyule has recruited the best this off season of any NFL club - Mclarty will be a really solid performer at this level.
That being the case, Burger/NH/Mont are the locks - Hursty/Banuyle/Bundy fight to fill the remaining spots IMO
The remainder fight off relegation. Seems pretty straightforward for 2024 but as we know there is the occasional surprise!

I would have to politely disagree with you there. Heidelberg didn't just threaten to leave, they presented an overwhelming case that ultimately forced AFL Vic to conduct an investigation into the DVFL's finances - which would not have happened had they not tried to leave.
Let’s hope in future it doesn’t take something that extreme to change things.
As a good man once said “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing “

Not scheduled to play there until round 6. May 18.

Should be okay.

Its a great set up at Heidelberg. Rooms probably a little dated, but could easily play div 2 or div 3 finals there once the surface is better.
No chance. Will be around July. Haven’t laid the drainage, or top soil or obviously grass. Banyule had its grass laid by this time last yearm and Banyule got on late in July.

Best way to fix the pavilion. A bomb. Needs to be rebuilt closer to the wing and the the ground. Still been adversely affected form the old trotting track.

No chance. Will be around July. Haven’t laid the drainage, or top soil or obviously grass. Banyule had its grass laid by this time last yearm and Banyule got on late in July.

Best way to fix the pavilion. A bomb. Needs to be rebuilt closer to the wing and the the ground. Still been adversely affected form the old trotting track.

Should re vamp the trotting track while they're at it. Draw a bigger crowd than Melton

They’ll need a bigger pavilion for all the premiership cups!

I also think that Banyule has recruited the best this off season of any NFL club - Mclarty will be a really solid performer at this level.
That being the case, Burger/NH/Mont are the locks - Hursty/Banuyle/Bundy fight to fill the remaining spots IMO
The remainder fight off relegation. Seems pretty straightforward for 2024 but as we know there is the occasional surprise!
Greensbourough will be fighting for the remaining spot in the finals. Not a chance they are fighting for Relegation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ll need a bigger pavilion for all the premiership cups!

Very fair comment. They do have a decent display that does need more room.

I am surprised they have not used the floods somehow to get a total rebuild. I like going to Warringal and bigger rooms would be awesome for them (and visitors cramming in for a post-game beer or half-time check of the quaddie) and if the ground is getting redone and is good lower div finals should be back there. Nothing against Epping (which holds up well for finals) or Whittlesea but if say Ivanhoe play H-West in a final it just makes sense to have it closer to both sides rather than all the way down Plenty Rd.

Has something happened at Banyules ground? Heard a pub whisper that d!ckhea@d vandals have done something over the break, and the cricket cannot play on it for a while, no specifics though.

Last edited:

Not 100% sold on Mont being top 3 lock.

Lost a few guns and some fringe players, picked up VFL players that may only play a few games. No ruckman is tough when you had a gun one for past few years, changes a bit. Still a strong side and will be in a fight for that 3rd spot but I think Banyule, Slime and Hursty could really push them for that 3rd spot.

Bundy I think like everyone, we have no idea what will appear round 1. A few decent have left, some stayed, not really seeing the 15+ numbers they need to field 3 sides. Still a few months till bounce down so anything can appear.

Agree Heid and North top 2.

I am surprised they have not used the floods somehow to get a total rebuild. I like going to Warringal and bigger rooms would be awesome for them (and visitors cramming in for a post-game beer or half-time check of the quaddie) and if the ground is getting redone and is good lower div finals should be back there. Nothing against Epping (which holds up well for finals) or Whittlesea but if say Ivanhoe play H-West in a final it just makes sense to have it closer to both sides rather than all the way down Plenty Rd.

Has something happened at Banyules ground? Heard a pub whisper that d!ckhea@d vandals have done something over the break, and the cricket cannot play on it for a while, no specifics though.
Vandals stole electrical wiring for the copper.

Will be out of action for the following weekend.

Vandals stole electrical wiring for the copper.

Will be out of action for the following weekend.
I heard this too. Ordinary behaviour. I went for a bumble through Viewbank flats the other day and there's temporary concrete bollards in front of the light towers so presumably the council are trying to ensure it doesn't happen there either.

Blow the rooms up you reckon? They would probably need a truck or two to evacuate the memorabilia beforehand. I’m not a Heidelberg person per se but I think it’s inevitable that they will end up having the best rooms and ground in the competition. I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually leave the NFL and join the metro super-league that will supposedly come to fruition by the end of the decade.

Blow the rooms up you reckon? They would probably need a truck or two to evacuate the memorabilia beforehand. I’m not a Heidelberg person per se but I think it’s inevitable that they will end up having the best rooms and ground in the competition. I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually leave the NFL and join the metro super-league that will supposedly come to fruition by the end of the decade.
Super league? Besides a big footy idea is there any actual basis for that?

I'd love to see an Ivanhoe v Heidelberg West final there 🙏🙏

Speaking of those two - coaches told the players at Ivanhoe last week that the round three away game v West will now be under lights! Could be a bumper crowd for that one.

Chump

From the 5 last season.

Who have Heidelberg lost? Gilmore yes. Wilson still there but trying VFL. So who knows how many games he plays.

Montmorency has lost quality. Picked up some very good players, but not sure how many games they will play.

Bundoora lost plenty.

Hurstbridge seems to have kept there list and added a couple.

North have added some quality, but also lost some quality.

Apart from Heidelberg, for the first time in a long time, I couldnt say who will take the other top 3 spots, let alone the top 5.

Actually looks like a year where the winner could come from anywhere.

From the 5 last season.

Who have Heidelberg lost? Gilmore yes. Wilson still there but trying VFL. So who knows how many games he plays.

Montmorency has lost quality. Picked up some very good players, but not sure how many games they will play.

Bundoora lost plenty.

Hurstbridge seems to have kept there list and added a couple.

North have added some quality, but also lost some quality.

Apart from Heidelberg, for the first time in a long time, I couldnt say who will take the other top 3 spots, let alone the top 5.

Actually looks like a year where the winner could come from anywhere.
Matt Smith departed the Bergs I’m led to believe

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back