NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A random question from someone who keeps an eye on the NFNL from afar. Could Heidelberg be the strongest suburban footy club in Melbourne both on field and off field?
I’d say Keilor or Heidelberg would be the best in the state football wise. I think they would both beat Wang Rovers who would be the best country club today.

Off field? A few clubs with pokies may have a lot of coin. Bergs are just very well run. Their recruits perform and players stay there. That’s the difference between clubs who spend big money for stars but they leave after a few seasons.

I’d say Keilor or Heidelberg would be the best in the state football wise. I think they would both beat Wang Rovers who would be the best country club today.

Off field? A few clubs with pokies may have a lot of coin. Bergs are just very well run. Their recruits perform and players stay there. That’s the difference between clubs who spend big money for stars but they leave after a few seasons.
Old Xaverians or StKevins would be the strongest clubs off the field.
OX field 6 x mens teams
3 x Under 19’s
2 x Women’s teams
StKevins field 4 x means teams
3 x Under 19’s teams
2 x women’s

Hard to beat that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A random question from someone who keeps an eye on the NFNL from afar. Could Heidelberg be the strongest suburban footy club in Melbourne both on field and off field?
What is the criteria for off field?

OX field 6 x mens teams
3 x Under 19’s
2 x Women’s teams
3 x Under 19’s teams
2 x women’s

Hard to beat that
Well they are bigger. But I mean does that mean stronger off field? Not sure exactly what the criteria is.

Either way those clubs are very strong off field with fully time payed staff. They don’t have to generate the money to pay players so a different scenarios

No specific criteria. A mix of financial viability, reputation within the league, level of professionalism in how the club is run, and having systems in place to be consistently strong on field.
It’s hard to judge from Comp to Comp.
VAFA is a little different. With a lot of clubs affiliated with schools. So might be a little easier to find players. But with no player payments (well meant to be none), no bar until the game is over. That could work against them.

Heidelberg have been an amazing club, apart from a little bad patch there. Where Bundoora was probably the premier club during the 2010s.
Yes money helps, but it’s hard to sustain that over a long period of time. But Heidelberg couldn’t be in any better position as a club have won all 3 grades. So plenty of young talent coming through aswell.

OX field 6 x mens teams
3 x Under 19’s
2 x Women’s teams
3 x Under 19’s teams
2 x women’s

Hard to beat that
Nup Maxy .... if Heidelberg were allowed to have multiple teams they would get them. Seniors v seniors it's not a contest.

Well they are bigger. But I mean does that mean stronger off field? Not sure exactly what the criteria is.

Either way those clubs are very strong off field with fully time payed staff. They don’t have to generate the money to pay players so a different scenarios
Rumour has it, OX costs $750,000 to run. Take salary cap of $160,000, does Heidelberg cost $590,000 to run the club excluding player payments.

Been hearing Heidelberg pair Solomon Mckay and Jonothan Tomasiello have been linked with a move to a stand alone VFL club from their respective AFL aligned teams they played for in 2024.

Rumour has it, OX costs $750,000 to run. Take salary cap of $160,000, does Heidelberg cost $590,000 to run the club excluding player payments.
Did someone say that OX have full time employees work at the club? If so then that doesn’t seem all that big.

Turn over in Div 1 is huge. But I’d say most Div 1 clubs come out of the year with not a hell of a lot profit.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back