NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes travel was one of the reasons - correct. But even IF you played Broardy, Kinglake and Kilmore away in the same year it would only be three games. It's 57 minutes from Ivanhoe and we are the most southern club in the NFNL.

All that said, on a personal note, it's been bliss playing games in the North all year - bigger crowds, more past players coming to watch, great for many of our sponsors, increased revenue, better player numbers for mens and women's teams and competitive in most games. So it's working for us at this point in time.
I would much rather drive 1 hour north to Kinglake/Kilmore etc, than 1 hour South East across the suburbs stuck in Saturday traffic

My missus took me to Chadstone on a Saturday once and we nearly got divorced

Some cracking games this week ....... and nice to have the week off for us (apart from the opportunity to try and get another 4 points).

Kinglake v Mernda up the mountain - could that be the best 'selected team' the Lakers have fielded all year? Do Marshall and Harvey go head to head? Lakers not far away last week against the Pingers and in some reasonable form themselves. Could they upset Mernda's charge to a top 2 finish?

OP's v Kilmore - the last time they met the two blues too good, but some injuries really hurt the Raiders that day also. Massive game for both sides with OP's still missing a few key players. Kilmore lose it's season 2024 done you would think. OP's lose and they start to get into the dog fight at the bottom of the final 5.

Turtles v Pingers at the Dome! Wow Wee! The Turtles can not afford to lose this one and with some notable outs in the listed teams they will need to find 'other' goal kickers to beat an inform Epping. Get the feeling this will be a VERY willing contest and if you cant win the contested football - you won't get many touches. Epping win this and you would say finals is a lock, especially if OP's knock over Kilmore.

West v Ressa - with an ounce of luck, the Mustangs could be going for 3 in a row! West get a few back and will have a stronger team this week for sure, but when you have not had alot of success for some time and you get a sniff ...you want more, so Ressa will be up for it you would think. Cracking game.

Last edited:

Big win by the Turtles keeping there season alive
Bad loss for Mernda up on the mountain
Old Paradians snuff out any finals chance for Kilmore
Another good round of division 3 footy
2 massive games next week
Stars vs Mernda
Ivanhoe vs Old Eltham

V2 massive games next week
Stars vs Mernda
Ivanhoe vs Old Eltham
Watched Epping v turtles today. Ground was absolutely shocking. Borderline not safe to play on.
Nonetheless turtles the better team all day. The CHB Ellis and Macaffer in the middle were the difference. The ruckman was very good too for the turtles.
Next week massive as Epping have a bye I think and Ivanhoe v turtles. Battle for 5th spot is on!

2 massive games next week
Stars vs Mernda
Ivanhoe vs Old Eltham
Wowee. I’d hope there will be a few cars left in the Lakers’ car park tonight. They are the sort of wins that get local footy clubs up and about. Well played to the Mountain Men.

Watched Epping v turtles today. Ground was absolutely shocking. Borderline not safe to play on.
Nonetheless turtles the better team all day. The CHB Ellis and Macaffer in the middle were the difference. The ruckman was very good too for the turtles.
Next week massive as Epping have a bye I think and Ivanhoe v turtles. Battle for 5th spot is on!
Grounds person probably had the sprinklers on last night🤣. In all seriousness, I’ve heard a few of their players hate playing on it, so how does that fair for recruiting?

Doubt the school gives too much of a shit as they don’t want to spend money on drainage, so more likely to kick OEC off.

As has been mentioned before, the school are more interested in the aesthetics and making it look good from the roadside. They are only interested in school sports, so if I was the Seniors I’d be considering an alternative!

Grounds person probably had the sprinklers on last night🤣. In all seriousness, I’ve heard a few of their players hate playing on it, so how does that fair for recruiting?

Doubt the school gives too much of a shit as they don’t want to spend money on drainage, so more likely to kick OEC off.

As has been mentioned before, the school are more interested in the aesthetics and making it look good from the roadside. They are only interested in school sports, so if I was the Seniors I’d be considering an alternative!
Talking of grounds.... I was at my nephews game today at Whittelsea and it's not in great nick as we speak.

Hope for everyone's sake it improves dramatically for finals in a months time.

PS

Talking of grounds.... I was at my nephews game today at Whittelsea and it's not in great nick as we speak.

Hope for everyone's sake it improves dramatically for finals in a months time.

PS
Was extremely poor the other year in finals with huge incoming rain it’ll only be worse. Whittlesea only have 1 more home game but juniors still use it.

Besides being fenced it’s a poor finals venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was extremely poor the other year in finals with huge incoming rain it’ll only be worse. Whittlesea only have 1 more home game but juniors still use it.

Besides being fenced it’s a poor finals venue.
Maybe the Turtles are onto something then by playing on a heavy ground all year 😎🤔😜

Seriously though, should be looking for grounds with a good surface for finals IF you can make it work (ie not a home ground for teams playing). Sometimes, and this happened in VAFA also, it was about gate revenue and not the ground. I would imagine Heidelberg would be magnificent for Div 3 finals this year!

Maybe the Turtles are onto something then by playing on a heavy ground all year 😎🤔😜

Seriously though, should be looking for grounds with a good surface for finals IF you can make it work (ie not a home ground for teams playing). Sometimes, and this happened in VAFA also, it was about gate revenue and not the ground. I would imagine Heidelberg would be magnificent for Div 3 finals this year!
Unfortunately without fencing it’s no chance.

Would be great to see councils buy in and make grounds finals compliant.

With about 50 metres of temp fencing, Eltham would be the perfect Div 3 finals venue.

Best viewing ground in the comp by an absolute mile.
Would be a great venue. Would require more than 50m as I believe the rear path would still need to be in use for the public.

Regardless surely it could be made to work.

Biggest problem for Eltham is with no parking allowed around the ground, it would be a nightmare with parking
Council would make a fortune of those parked illegally

With about 50 metres of temp fencing, Eltham would be the perfect Div 3 finals venue.

Best viewing ground in the comp by an absolute mile.
It’s not somewhere they could ever consider for finals, but I think Macleod is the best ground for viewing, especially the elevated area in front of the rooms.

Eltham is a beauty though.

Eltham is a lovely place to watch footy/cricket, it is somewhat sheltered from the wind, and a nice size that isn't huge or tiny - would be awesome for div 3 GF

Biggest problem for Eltham is with no parking allowed around the ground, it would be a nightmare with parking
Council would make a fortune of those parked illegally

Not really, it allows the use of the train which a few would use there is probably more parking on a Saturday at car parks at the train station only 100/200 meters from ground. If people actually drove around to these car parks it would surprise how many are there. All these are free parking and only recently done up, no idea how many is there but heaps.

Parking is not a concern for NFNL. Access to get $$$ is.

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back