NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking of grounds.... I was at my nephews game today at Whittelsea and it's not in great nick as we speak.

Hope for everyone's sake it improves dramatically for finals in a months time.

PS
Heard the same from someone else there from juniors Sunday. Showed me a photo and 50m is very very muddy.

League would be wanting to look hard at alternatives right now.

Was extremely poor the other year in finals with huge incoming rain it’ll only be worse. Whittlesea only have 1 more home game but juniors still use it.

Besides being fenced it’s a poor finals venue.
Without having looked at Lalor’s ground in quite a while, you’d have to wonder if they’d be a good option given it’s only going to be the senior and reserves sides who play and train on it and not any 19s or junior sides also adding to the wear and tear the ground takes over the course of the season. I do recall hearing that it’s not a particularly lucrative endeavour hosting junior finals since clubs have to pay for the right to do that (I heard this 5 years ago so I could in fact be very wrong here) but if that’s the case for juniors I would think senior finals might be better for the club to host. Just a thought so if anything I’m saying is blatantly incorrect and makes the idea a bad one I’m open to hearing it.

Was extremely poor the other year in finals with huge incoming rain it’ll only be worse. Whittlesea only have 1 more home game but juniors still use it.

Besides being fenced it’s a poor finals venue.
could Northcotes ground be used for finals, from memory heard that the ground is in good nik, could be a good shout as well

Without having looked at Lalor’s ground in quite a while, you’d have to wonder if they’d be a good option given it’s only going to be the senior and reserves sides who play and train on it and not any 19s or junior sides also adding to the wear and tear the ground takes over the course of the season. I do recall hearing that it’s not a particularly lucrative endeavour hosting junior finals since clubs have to pay for the right to do that (I heard this 5 years ago so I could in fact be very wrong here) but if that’s the case for juniors I would think senior finals might be better for the club to host. Just a thought so if anything I’m saying is blatantly incorrect and makes the idea a bad one I’m open to hearing it.
Pretty small lalor only knock on it for mine. Surface is ok.

If this weather keeps up, most grounds are going to be muddy. Not much can be done if the key requirement is to charge to get in. That narrows the options down a lot.

It is a winter sport, after all.

The Hume council are closing grounds for training, so grounds everywhere are being affected by the weather - you may have to expect a bit of mud come finals time, so be it. Teams will want to play finals no matter what the weather or conditions. It nearly snowed for the Omeo league grand final one year recently.

It is a winter sport, after all.

The Hume council are closing grounds for training, so grounds everywhere are being affected by the weather - you may have to expect a bit of mud come finals time, so be it. Teams will want to play finals no matter what the weather or conditions. It nearly snowed for the Omeo league grand final one year recently.
Just been told Banyule council have asked clubs to be off grounds tonight for training. Everyone looking to try and protect some surfaces.

Only knock on BLO is lack of parking. Surface would be spot on minus the wicket table. In the past Shelley st, Epping, Panther place, Whittlesea and even Warringal Park (Heidelberg) have hosted Div 2&3 finals.
I can’t see why Garvey Oval shouldn’t be in the conversation.
Parking ✅
Access - tram ✅
Surface ✅
Exposure ✅
Gated area to maximise coin 50/50.

Only knock on BLO is lack of parking. Surface would be spot on minus the wicket table. In the past Shelley st, Epping, Panther place, Whittlesea and even Warringal Park (Heidelberg) have hosted Div 2&3 finals.
I can’t see why Garvey Oval shouldn’t be in the conversation.
Parking ✅
Access - tram ✅
Surface ✅
Exposure ✅
Gated area to maximise coin 50/50.
Garvey oval is definitely a good option, the VAFA used it for lower division finals and it worked well for them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s Parades run home? Reservoir and Lalor followed by a bye over the next 3 weeks. Who does the fixture? Ex Student? 😂
No idea. However it's not all as it seems

• We do have Eltham at Eltham in the last round, so that will provide a sizeable challenge.
  • That bye leaves us with one less game to get points in what will be a very tight run to the finals
  • This Saturday is our last home game for the year. I'm not taking a potshot at the league, as that's the way it falls, but there won't be too many clubs getting zero money from the canteen or bar in the last month of the year
We're just happy to be in the mix this deep in the season

• We do have Eltham at Eltham in the last round, so that will provide a sizeable challenge.
  • That bye leaves us with one less game to get points in what will be a very tight run to the finals
  • This Saturday is our last home game for the year. I'm not taking a potshot at the league, as that's the way it falls, but there won't be too many clubs getting zero money from the canteen or bar in the last month of the year
The bye hasn’t left you with one less game… you have the same games as everyone else

You also have the same home and away games.

Good effort trying to find holes with your fixture though 😂

The bye hasn’t left you with one less game… you have the same games as everyone else

You also have the same home and away games.

Good effort trying to find holes with your fixture though 😂
I didn’t mean we have one less game. I know we have the same amount. I just meant that there will be a round at the back end of the year where the others around us can grab 4 points whilst we have the bye. Out position on the ladder isn’t as cut and dried as you might think.

with how close the season is and teams not having their second bye early on, its making the remaning 4 games of the season very very juicy coming into the last round, havent seen a top 5 this close for a while

Well after round 1 Fitzroy Stars were my favourite to get the flag this year and nothing has changed, as for who will play them in the granny I have no idea, nothing between the next four who make finals.
I think I’m inclined to agree regarding Fitzroy Stars. As for who gets there with them, I’d have to think Old Paradians have the best chance at getting there. 3 wins ahead of Old Eltham with 3 games to play, and 4 ahead of Kilmore who have 4 left. You’d have to think it’s mathematically very difficult for the Stars and OPs to even miss finals from here but having Reservoir and Lalor as their next two should lock it up (1 more win is all they need). Basically my point here is it’d take a serious bit of misfortune to miss the top 2, giving them the best chance at 2nd place.
Final ladder placings will have a major bearing on who wins which games, and the match between Mernda and Fitzroy Stars this week will be very important (could see OPs finish on top, however very very unlikely) but you’d think the higher they finish the better off they’ll be come finals time.
I haven’t seen a lot of Div 3 footy this season but I got down to Garvey Oval for the game vs Kilmore on Saturday and despite a slow start (Kilmore lead 0.3 to 0.0 at QT), Old Paradians ended up having their way with them and looked very dangerous by the end of the game. Granted it was against Kilmore who aren’t bad but have the lowest chance at making finals of those who mathematically still can, but I’m enticed by their chances. To win by 56 while only scoring in the last 3 quarters and managing 12.16 on a very windy day had me pretty impressed.

I think I’m inclined to agree regarding Fitzroy Stars. As for who gets there with them, I’d have to think Old Paradians have the best chance at getting there. 3 wins ahead of Old Eltham with 3 games to play, and 4 ahead of Kilmore who have 4 left. You’d have to think it’s mathematically very difficult for the Stars and OPs to even miss finals from here but having Reservoir and Lalor as their next two should lock it up (1 more win is all they need). Basically my point here is it’d take a serious bit of misfortune to miss the top 2, giving them the best chance at 2nd place.
Final ladder placings will have a major bearing on who wins which games, and the match between Mernda and Fitzroy Stars this week will be very important (could see OPs finish on top, however very very unlikely) but you’d think the higher they finish the better off they’ll be come finals time.
I haven’t seen a lot of Div 3 footy this season but I got down to Garvey Oval for the game vs Kilmore on Saturday and despite a slow start (Kilmore lead 0.3 to 0.0 at QT), Old Paradians ended up having their way with them and looked very dangerous by the end of the game. Granted it was against Kilmore who aren’t bad but have the lowest chance at making finals of those who mathematically still can, but I’m enticed by their chances. To win by 56 while only scoring in the last 3 quarters and managing 12.16 on a very windy day had me pretty impressed.
It was a very weird first quarter. Both teams did enough to score at least a couple of goals each in the first term, but just couldn't. Watching the ball go towards the goals was like watching my golf ball go toward the hole. There seemed to be a cover over them :D

It was a very weird first quarter. Both teams did enough to score at least a couple of goals each in the first term, but just couldn't. Watching the ball go towards the goals was like watching my golf ball go toward the hole. There seemed to be a cover over them :D
Yeah definitely. I missed the first 8 minutes of the game (I think it started a smidge earlier than 2:05?) and then happened to run into an old junior teammate who was with the ressies so I didn’t get the best peek at the first quarter, but my impression was that Kilmore’s defence held up quite well for a while, even going into the second quarter. Unfortunately for them it was inevitable that the pressure was bound to become too much and one of the things I noticed was how quarter by quarter OPs kept looking better. It was one of those times where it’d be very interesting to know the inside 50 stats as the game was going on. If a couple stiff misses and 50/50 calls regarding whether or not the ball was touched or marked before the line or not went the other way it absolutely could’ve been a proper drubbing. Needless to say I was impressed by your mob in that match.

Parade have done an exceptional job in year 1. I think Ben Turner would be the best coach in Div 3 by some margin too.

Div 1 Grand Final Coach, Div 2 Premiership Coach, Div 2 premiership Assistant Coach, 5-time Premiership Coach in Div 1 U19s and that's not mentioning his work coaching the school Parade Collage.

BT can coach. data like that does not lie.

And genuinely one of the nice guys.

Div 1 Grand Final Coach, Div 2 Premiership Coach, Div 2 premiership Assistant Coach, 5-time Premiership Coach in Div 1 U19s and that's not mentioning his work coaching the school Parade Collage.

BT can coach. data like that does not lie.

And genuinely one of the nice guys.
Lower plenty may disagree. Surely the most bizarre sackings ever. 11-1 in Div 2🤷‍♂️

Good to see they have bounced back from this 🤦‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back