Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 164 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Silly op, but the replies are just as bad now. He's 50 games in, surely we're not going to bump this thread after every bad game he has?

Silly op, but the replies are just as bad now. He's 50 games in, surely we're not going to bump this thread after every bad game he has?

That is the problem though. If this thread was not created by a Collingwood fan, and there were not Collingwood fans genuinely arguing he can be the greatest player of all time then Daicos would not be getting the hate he is now.

It is the fact some Pies fans are so delusional that people can't help but get on their heals a bit.

Had Collingwood fans simply argued "can he be a top 5 player of the next 20 years" or something like that I don't think he would get nearly as much hate as he is getting now.

It is similar to Richmond fans and Martin. I am more than happy to entertain the argument Martin is a top 10, maybe even top 5 player of the 21st century, but it is Richmond fans who argue not only is he the best player of the 21st century but also the best player of all time that rubs me the wrong way and I can't help but argue against it.

Tanner Bruhn had the same amount of tackles in 1 game that Daicos has had in 3 games.

Not even for a second implying they're on the same level, but just goes to show the difference in defensive intent, and what a difference it makes for the team.

Not a good look these first few weeks for such a touted star of the comp.

That is the problem though. If this thread was not created by a Collingwood fan, and there were not Collingwood fans genuinely arguing he can be the greatest player of all time then Daicos would not be getting the hate he is now.

It is the fact some Pies fans are so delusional that people can't help but get on their heals a bit.

Had Collingwood fans simply argued "can he be a top 5 player of the next 20 years" or something like that I don't think he would get nearly as much hate as he is getting now.

It is similar to Richmond fans and Martin. I am more than happy to entertain the argument Martin is a top 10, maybe even top 5 player of the 21st century, but it is Richmond fans who argue not only is he the best player of the 21st century but also the best player of all time that rubs me the wrong way and I can't help but argue against it.
Dusty's the best finals player of all time.

**also never squibbed a contest and has (probably) never taken a kick-in unlike seagullcos

Dusty's the best finals player of all time.

**also never squibbed a contest and has (probably) never taken a kick-in unlike seagullcos
Speaking of seagulls ..in a pack of seagulls surrounding the last chip, the alpha Voss type gulls will barge their way through, stick their head in the pack and risk contact to get that friggin chip.

Timid, more soft hearted gulls will pretend to have a go but ultimately it’s all an act and will back out and let the aggressive gulls take the chip.

Nicky is one of those timid gulls..every..single..time.

Hell I would even take an honest admission that as good as he is and could be his defensive work needs to be improved

But the sycophantic pies supports would never even say that he had to work on any aspect of his game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn’t have survived in the 1970-80’s, and a GOAT can’t be someone who wouldn’t have been a gun in any era.
The rest of your post makes sense but I have to disagree with this part.

Players like Ablett SNR, Lockett etc would not be guns in this era simply due to defensive zones and the volume of running required. I think you only need to be good in your own era.

Geez the poor bastard really is copping a pasting in here. Media's fault for over inflating his (and Collingwood's) tyres last year.

He doesn't have to be a hard inside contested player. Avoiding traffic so he can give himself space to exploit his strengths is the smart play and always will be.

But, a key part of his development (still just a kid remember) is to show that he CAN do it if called upon. Doesn't need to do it week in week out just for the sake of us in the peanut gallery, but for his own confidence and that of his his team.

GOAT? No. Does that even matter? No.

And now we're up to 150 posts from about 70 different posters in just under 10 hours since the game ended.

All because a kid who has just turned 21 wasn't his team's best player for the first time this season.

For comparison, the Martin GOAT thread might have had one or two comments after an average performance.

Seems the Daicos Effect has a dual meaning. In addition to Jonno Brown's trademarked 'Prodigious talent who immediately brings success to his team....', we are also seeing 'A prodigious talent who is the tallest of tall poppies in his third year in the system, who brings thousands of people flooding to social media to critique his game in the event he's not his team's best player on the day and/or his team loses on the day'.

He really is getting into your heads, and that is the Collingwood way - he'll revel in it for the next dozen years of his career.

Hell I would even take an honest admission that as good as he is and could be his defensive work needs to be improved

But the sycophantic pies supports would never even say that he had to work on any aspect of his game

The stony and impenetrable silence that comes from the commentary team is worse.

Thomas at least potted a few Collingwood players and even said the dreaded "he needed to do better". But none, absolutely none of them dared to criticise young Nicole.

Ahhh, Tony Lockett... what can I say...

His early years:
77 goals 44 behinds in his second season at 18 years old.
79.22 @ 19yo
60.29 @ 20yo
117.52 @ 21yo

165 goals 75 behinds in his first 50 matches!
For comparison with Ablett senior, in his first 50 matches he kicked 157 goals 132 behinds, but he was in his fourth season, and 24 years old! (I had no idea Ablett was such a late starter!)

He actually played reserves at Hawthorn in 1980 when he was 18. Openly admitted he struggled to settle in Melbourne, then after his 6 games in 1982 he spent 1983 playing in the country. So didn't actually debut for Geelong until he was 22.

And now we're up to 150 posts from about 70 different posters in just under 10 hours since the game ended.

All because a kid who has just turned 21 wasn't his team's best player for the first time this season.

For comparison, the Martin GOAT thread might have had one or two comments after an average performance.

Seems the Daicos Effect has a dual meaning. In addition to Jonno Brown's trademarked 'Prodigious talent who immediately brings success to his team....', we are also seeing 'A prodigious talent who is the tallest of tall poppies in his third year in the system, who brings thousands of people flooding to social media to critique his game in the event he's not his team's best player on the day and/or his team loses on the day'.

He really is getting into your heads, and that is the Collingwood way - he'll revel in it for the next dozen years of his career.
Best part is you've gone from posting one in every five comments to about one in every 20 comments, and then only commenting about people commenting and not Nicky.

Metaphorically speaking, you've been confronted with a hard ball contest and have chosen to squib it even more than what Nicky would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back