Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I'm sure the resident Rugby league trolls will get a kick out of this, but it's a continuing blow to development of the code here.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nine-snubs-melbourne-storm-again/story-e6frf9if-1225826552231

It may be the NRL premier but Melbourne Storm is resigned to at least three more years of graveyard shifts on TV in its home state.

Despite Storm being the most dominant NRL team of the past decade, Channel 9 is set to continue to delay Victorian coverage of Storm's free-to-air games until about midnight.

Matt Hanson is right. Until its actually stipulated in their next tv rights deal, there is not much that the Storm can do about getting games on earlier.
I am just so glad I have a foxtel subscription so I mostly snub Ch.Shite anyway:)
As AuckMel said a lot of sports lovers here in Victoria are missing out and I feel sorry for those that can't afford Foxtel.

Maybe Nein think showing NRL at shit times will help get the next AFL TV rights deal.

But really the NRL should grow a pair and require if it's shown live in NSW/Qld, it's shown live in Vic etc.

Can't afford Foxtel. Pfft, most who can't afford Foxtel head out to the pub to watch the games and I almost gaurentee you that they spend more at the pub on a monthly basis than their foxtel subs would cost...

Good point about spending money at pubs and not affording foxtel, though I guess guys in particular like to congregate in pubs and share a few drinks.

In my case, have friends that drop in to watch league or a-league or even afl many a time, and thank goodness a couple have decided to subscribe to foxtel this year.:D

Maybe Nein think showing NRL at shit times will help get the next AFL TV rights deal.

They did exactly the same thing with the AFL rights in the northern states as what they do with RL down here when they had the FNF rights. It's a simple case of beliving it won't rate. Right or wrong.

They will never get the winning network to agree to live coverage into Melbourne on FN up against the AFL. The anti-siphoning FTA-monopoly laws ensure that, as neither 7 or 9 whichever wins will do it. What the NRL needs to do is ensure that we get FNF live onto Main Event like the AFL has in the northern states.

It isn't perfect, but it's the best they are going to achieve until a government has the balls to stand up to the FTA cartels and piss off the anti-siphoning laws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if its true or not, but I read on the net that Ch.7 are making noises about gettting some nrl games on their network.

The "some" games the have made noises about have been the State of Origin and maybe Finals Series at this stage. They are more interested in the AFL rights. But if they lose them, expect them to bid large for the NRL rights, but as Meltiger said don't expect them to give the Friday Night Match into Melbourne an improved timeslot, it just won't happen. All three networks are betting on a change to the anti-siphoning laws that will allow them to put AFL/NRL coverage on their multichannel in that codes non-traditional heartland live and therefore in 10's case stop stuffering rating hits on Saturday Night in Sydney and Brisbane and 9 can show both AFL and NRL Live nationwide on 9/GO (depending on the market) because of their promise of LIVE AFL into Melbourne on Friday Night with the next set of Right and 7 can put AFL (or NRL coverage if they ever get it) on 7 TWO into non-traditional markets.

^ Robbie what do you think the chances are that the FTA networks will get that change through? (Allowed to broadcast on the multi-channels)

Far as I am concerned, I don't see the hassle. Anyone who doesn't yet have a tv that picks up Digitial Channels, or at the least a set top box needs to go out and spend the 50 bucks it costs to get the STB

^ Robbie what do you think the chances are that the FTA networks will get that change through? (Allowed to broadcast on the multi-channels)

Well certainly not this year, hence the purpose of this article which I guess is an early warning to Storm fans in Melbourne without Foxtel, don't expect LIVE home and away matches on Channel 9. Then with the Federal election this year I can't see any changes to the law being passed thought the Senate before July 2011 at the earliest, so the election rules out the 2011 season for both codes and then you are into bidding for both codes TV Rights and no changes to the law regard multi-channeling.

Yet you already have 9 already promising to show AFL LIVE into NSW and QLD on GO! from 2012 and there is a huge chance that they won't be allow to by law to use that in their bid, when it comes time to bid and we all know the AFL wants LIVE FTA coverage into NSW and QLD and Channel 9 can't deliver a key plank of that when they have the last year of the NRL rights to show in 2012 into NSW and QLD and multi-channeling most likely won't be allowed.

I would say 2013 would be the year when multi-channeling of the AFL, NRL, Tennis and Olympic will be allowed to happen because that is the year of the digital switch over and everyone must have digital TV or set top box to get FTA TV and laws regarding multi-channeling will be relaxed because everyone will have access to the same channels as everyone else which isn't the case at the moment.

In short, NRL with their next TV Rights can work in multi-channels coverage for the Southern States because the next TV Rights deal starts in 2013 (see Packer was thinking ahead at the last rights deal). The AFL can't and unless a major change takes place between know and when the rights are worked out (ie. the next 12 months which won't happen, we are coming up to an election and the ALP won't piss the public off by changing the current rules and if they did, the Libs and interpendant wouldn't do like wise in the Senate), they have to go by the basis that all their FTA matches will be shown on a FTA networks primary channel in 2012 at the very least and maybe even the full term of the TV Rights contract.

The NRL have an advantage there, but a disadvanage of their rights coming up last as things stand.

I wouldn't neccesarily say Packer was thinking ahead, the AFL rights always came up before the NRL ones.

Last time, the TV Rights for both codes came up for renewal in the same year. Packer jumped in early and locked the FTA NRL rights for Channel 9 for 6 years and then made the massive bid for the AFL (which was only up for a 5 year deal) to scare away 7 and 10 as his last act before he died. Sadly for Channel 9, 7 used their last rights of refusal and matched the offer and won the rights (and hence all the problems with the coverage people complain about are the fault of Channel 9 and it bid, not 7 and 10 who are bound to the bid of Channel 9).

Just out of interest, how do 7 get away with on-selling the live rights to AFL on FTA to Main Event for FNF under the laws?

Because Main Event and Foxtel aren't a FTA network (and therefore not party to the multichannel or anti-siphoning laws) and can enter into such an agreement to show FNF into NSW and QLD. Only time Seven would have a problem would be if they showed the AFL on 7TWO before they showed it on their Primary Channel in NSW or Qld, hence the Main Event deal.

Problem that then creates is that makes Main Event unavailable for the NRL to show FNF in Vic, SA, WA and TAS because Main Event goes out Nationally and on Friday Nights they show the AFL on Main Event in NSW and QLD and they just block Main Event into the other states and the NT. For the NRL to get the same level of coverage on Main Event of a Friday Night into Victoria, SA, WA and TAS they would have to set up a second Main Event Channel.

That should be looked at and I'm surprised it hasn't, because regardless of the nature of creating a Second Main Event channel as I suggest above, there is becoming a need more and more for a 5th Sport's Channel on some weekends or a 2nd PPV channel.

Because Main Event and Foxtel aren't a FTA network (and therefore not party to the multichannel or anti-siphoning laws) and can enter into such an agreement to show FNF into NSW and QLD. Only time Seven would have a problem would be if they showed the AFL on 7TWO before they showed it on their Primary Channel in NSW or Qld, hence the Main Event deal.

Problem that then creates is that makes Main Event unavailable for the NRL to show FNF in Vic, SA, WA and TAS because Main Event goes out Nationally and on Friday Nights they show the AFL on Main Event in NSW and QLD and they just block Main Event into the other states and the NT. For the NRL to get the same level of coverage on Main Event of a Friday Night into Victoria, SA, WA and TAS they would have to set up a second Main Event Channel.

That should be looked at and I'm surprised it hasn't, because regardless of the nature of creating a Second Main Event channel as I suggest above, there is becoming a need more and more for a 5th Sport's Channel on some weekends or a 2nd PPV channel.

I've always wondered how that all worked. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Agree with the bolded part.

AFL fans in Q & NSW face the same problems NRL fans elsewhere have.

TV stations dont earn ad dollars showing events few viewers want to see.

Cherry picking the big games will work for the TV stations, not sure it will help us tragics week in, week out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nine snubs Melbourne Storm again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back