No Five Minute Warning :)

Remove this Banner Ad

i like the 5 minute warning thing it adds suspense when the game is tight.
Watching the 2 Sydney, West Coast grand finals with it made me nervous and i dont even like the 2 teams

This was the best part of seven's coverage - the five minute warning makes 10's broadcast look unprofessional IMO (if 7/Fox Sports can count down the last 5 minutes, why can't 10). The AFL need to compel 10 to scrap the five minute warning - if they don't they should have the GF taken off them.

i like the 5 minute warning thing it adds suspense when the game is tight.
Watching the 2 Sydney, West Coast grand finals with it made me nervous and i dont even like the 2 teams

right on the money here! Although if the Blues were involved in such a tight Grand Final, i'm not sure if i'd rather see how much time is left or not! I'd be a nervous wreck! lol

This was the best part of seven's coverage - the five minute warning makes 10's broadcast look unprofessional IMO (if 7/Fox Sports can count down the last 5 minutes, why can't 10). The AFL need to compel 10 to scrap the five minute warning - if they don't they should have the GF taken off them.

You've got to be joking??

7 did the warning for one round I think and I liked it.

I love the tension and suspense it brings.

I'd rather have the full count-up timer for all telecast AFL games, the exact same method that the ABC use. I would rather not know how much time is left for the quarter, particularly at the end. Knowing whatever time remaining is boring, especially when the game may be a foregone conclusion, it also adds a lot more excitement to the close games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 5 minute warning (i.e. a count up clock) + regular delayed telecasts...all we need next is black and white TV and maybe drop back to 2 cameras and we will be right back to the 70's :rolleyes:

If all our game has to build tension is not knowing when it will end then we have problems.

10 should join the 21st century soon.

I loved the 5 minute warning in the 05/06 Grand Final, in 06 when the siren went unexpectedly it was a fantastic feeling. Kills you at the time though.

I dont mind the 5 minute warning. It made 05/06 miles more exciting. Hated it at the time but looking back, it made it so exciting and when the siren went unexpectedly in 06 it was the greatest feeling ever.
Want to copy my post a little more Jod? :D

I'd rather have the full count-up timer for all telecast AFL games, the exact same method that the ABC use. I would rather not know how much time is left for the quarter, particularly at the end. Knowing whatever time remaining is boring, especially when the game may be a foregone conclusion, it also adds a lot more excitement to the close games.

Exactly !!

Knowing the precise amount of time left in the quarter/game takes the interest & excitement out of the spectacle.

Besides, if the coaches don't know how much is left, then they will also keep making moves right till the end in an attempt to win the game.

If the game is 30+ point the 5 minute warning is a pointless exercise but if it's closer it really adds to the suspense.

At the game you don't know what time is left and it's fantastic so why have it on the TV?

The only thing I hate about Ch10's footy coverage is the 5 minute warning crap and how the commentators then pretend not to know how much time remains.
That should be the difference between watching a match at the venue compared to tv, that you actually know how much time IS remaining.

I think it's great to not know how much time is left, the closer the game the better that becomes. I love having that suspense that we don't know when the fnal siren is going to blow. How good were the finishes to 05 and 06 GFs?

I'm assuming that the people that don't like it, also don't like not knowing how much time is left when actually at the game?

Rather than channel 10 conforming to everyone else, I wish everyone else would use count up clocks for all quarters

Love the 5 minute warning it's just like being at the game and all the tension and suspense. Count downs on close games ruin the suspense.

Exactly !!

Knowing the precise amount of time left in the quarter/game takes the interest & excitement out of the spectacle.

Besides, if the coaches don't know how much is left, then they will also keep making moves right till the end in an attempt to win the game.

The coaches would most likely have there own time keeper in the box with them, i very much doubt they don't know how long is to go in any game.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Five Minute Warning :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back