No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

When Petty played on outside the boundary line then to kick at goal around the corner why wasn’t it called out of bounds?

Isn’t that the rule? I’m sure I’ve seen it paid before.

Don't quote me but think it's only play on if you change direction off your line or run past the mark

Don't quote me but think it's only play on if you change direction off your line or run past the mark
But he was running roughly right angles to the line between the goals and the point where the ball crossed the boundary line for the free kick.

By comparison if a player has a kick after the siren within the field of play he is warned not to run off that line or else it will be called play on (and the quarter is immediately deemed to be over).

The only way it’s legal is if the player says he’s kicking around the corner and doesn’t cross that imaginary line to the goals on his run up.

The video coverage was poor but Petty didn’t seem to give himself that space to run sideways.

But he was running roughly right angles to the line between the goals and the point where the ball crossed the boundary line for the free kick.

By comparison if a player has a kick after the siren within the field of play he is warned not to run off that line or else it will be called play on (and the quarter is immediately deemed to be over).

The only way it’s legal is if the player says he’s kicking around the corner and doesn’t cross that imaginary line to the goals on his run up.

The video coverage was poor but Petty didn’t seem to give himself that space to run sideways.

The rule is written as

20.3 DISPOSAL FROM OUT OF BOUNDS

20.3.1 Bringing the Football Back Into Play

(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick and attempts to bring the football back into play or is called to play on from beyond the Boundary Line must bring the football back into play.

(b) If a Player breaches Law 20.3.1(a), including being tackled, the football shall be deemed Out of Bounds and a boundary throw-in shall result from the location of The Mark or Free Kick.

20.3.2 Moving in One Direction

(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick may bring the football back into play from outside the Playing Surface beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

(b) If a Player breaches Law 20.3.2(a), the football shall be deemed Out of Bounds and a boundary throw-in shall result.

I can’t quite remember the Petty attempt but as long as he stays in the same direction while heading into play (as long as he doesn’t go over the mark) it won’t be called out of bounds.

The rule is written as

20.3 DISPOSAL FROM OUT OF BOUNDS

20.3.1 Bringing the Football Back Into Play

(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick and attempts to bring the football back into play or is called to play on from beyond the Boundary Line must bring the football back into play.

(b) If a Player breaches Law 20.3.1(a), including being tackled, the football shall be deemed Out of Bounds and a boundary throw-in shall result from the location of The Mark or Free Kick.

20.3.2 Moving in One Direction

(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick may bring the football back into play from outside the Playing Surface beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

(b) If a Player breaches Law 20.3.2(a), the football shall be deemed Out of Bounds and a boundary throw-in shall result.

I can’t quite remember the Petty attempt but as long as he stays in the same direction while heading into play (as long as he doesn’t go over the mark) it won’t be called out of bounds.
Thanks that seems to cover it. But it still seems inconsistent with the other scenario I referred to.

That’s the AFL for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we take the piss a bit but Neale HAS been good tonight and could easily get votes.

Especially if Brisbane somehow get up ( which they are trying their hardest not to ATM).

I know we take the piss a bit but Neale HAS been good tonight and could easily get votes.

Especially if Brisbane somehow get up ( which they are trying their hardest not to ATM).

Agreed.

I think Pickett should get it regardless but Neale has been Brisbane’s best I think. Their only player who has been consistently clean

Dunkley & Pickett clearly better for mine. Bunch of players that have been similar. His second half has been great, first half was as poor as I’ve seen him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back