Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Cameron succeeds at the Appeals Board and is free to play!

Daniel McStay back from an ACL in 8.5 months. Wasn't expecting that. Billy dropped on the other hand...

The umpires, like the players, live in different states around Australia. I'm not surprised that they don't all train together, and that's fair enough.

However, there's no reason why the Victorian umpires shouldn't have joint training sessions together, SA umpires training together, etc. They could/should be working on their skills in these training sessions.

My father used to be a boundary umpire in the NTFL. I know that he used to attend umpire training on a weekly basis at Marrara. I don't see any reason why the AFL umpires shouldn't be doing the same thing.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why don't they attend club training sessions more often?

AFL should keep the same 4 umpires as a team for most of the season, over time their interpretations would get closer.

It might be different to another team of 4 umps but at least within games they would be more consistent.
Keep the same 4 umpires, but only have 3 on the field at once.

Toby Bedford's ban overturned for the same reason Charlie Cameron's ban was overturned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Toby Bedford's ban overturned for the same reason Charlie Cameron's ban was overturned
Thank goodness, otherwise completely inconsistent.

Was wondering why he was named.

Surely Christian needs to finally go & overhaul the tribunal system which is about as clear & consistent as the holding the ball decision.... & the CEO reckons everything has never been better.

He must think we are all idiots...

AFL should keep the same 4 umpires as a team for most of the season, over time their interpretations would get closer.

It might be different to another team of 4 umps but at least within games they would be more consistent.

Now I don’t want to copy necessarily things from the USA but believe that is what happens with their referees as well. The referees also in the NFL are not fully professional.

Seriously, how in gods name do you have multibillion dollar industries like AFL and NFL still have semiprofessional umpires/referees etc? Just mind blowing.

Was this a deliberate error?

AFL shows that it's serious about concussion, hands down steep penalties

Players get to play

Win-win

I’m thinking that if you now play AFL today, you have got buckleys chance of claiming concussion issues.

You know the risk associated with the game.

Now I could be completely wrong and probably are but just saying.

The correct outcome for the two suspensions. But **** me, the reasoning when compared to McAdam.

McAdam - no injury caused, but a finding of likely to cause severe injury.

These two - actual injury of concussion, no finding that they were likely to cause injury.

The correct outcome for the two suspensions. But **** me, the reasoning when compared to McAdam.

McAdam - no injury caused, but a finding of likely to cause severe injury.

These two - actual injury of concussion, no finding that they were likely to cause injury.

These two cases tonight were won on legal technicalities.

The umpires, like the players, live in different states around Australia. I'm not surprised that they don't all train together, and that's fair enough.

However, there's no reason why the Victorian umpires shouldn't have joint training sessions together, SA umpires training together, etc. They could/should be working on their skills in these training sessions.

My father used to be a boundary umpire in the NTFL. I know that he used to attend umpire training on a weekly basis at Marrara. I don't see any reason why the AFL umpires shouldn't be doing the same thing.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought it was revealed that ALL umpires are located in Victoria?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Back