Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the olden days AFL footballers playing in the midfield were known as Rucks, Ruck-rovers, Rovers, Centremen and Wingmen.
I see the midfielders as the one attending the centre bounce and they are either inside or outside or can play both, wingmen are the one outside the centre square which was why those who mentioned Sloane should play on the wing and not be in our midfield setup anymore which he did quite well against Richmond before he did his ACL.

Does it matter what positions is named on paper these day.....
True… just sayin’ Mitchell thinks he can be believed as something other than a pure winger whether that’s where he lines up or not..

Last edited:
I see the midfielders as the one attending the centre bounce and they are either inside or outside or can play both, wingmen are the one outside the centre square which was why those who mentioned Sloane should play on the wing and not be in our midfield setup anymore which he did quite well against Richmond before he did his ACL.

wasn't he playing at half forward in the game that he did his acl?

I see the midfielders as the one attending the centre bounce and they are either inside or outside or can play both, wingmen are the one outside the centre square which was why those who mentioned Sloane should play on the wing and not be in our midfield setup anymore which he did quite well against Richmond before he did
I see your confusion, they meant they didn't want sloane playing on the inside.

Midfielders play along the centreline between the forwards and the defenders. Inside midfielders ( centre, ruckrover, rover) start inside the centre square, outside midfieldets ( also called wingman) start outside the centre square.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305-211750_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305-211750_Chrome.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 41
I forgot that Amon left Port to go to Hawks. Hawks fans seem pretty happy with his preseason form too.
Karl Amon vs Bow n Arrow guy will be an interesting sideshow

I see your confusion, they meant they didn't want sloane playing on the inside.

Midfielders play along the centreline between the forwards and the defenders. Inside midfielders ( centre, ruckrover, rover) start inside the centre square, outside midfieldets ( also called wingman) start outside the centre square.
Yet the draft have them as inside or outside midfielders or can play both inside or outside or wingman. So I've always seen inside midfielders as those who attend the center bounce and get contested possession like M.Crouch, outside midfielders as those who attend the center bounce and hang on the outside to receive possession like Kelly or Gaff, can play both inside and outside like Dangerfield and wingman as those who attend outside the center square and run along the 50m arc like Amon.

Last edited:
There’s very little in stats between Jones and Jones.
I didn't know stats differentiate between the level of clangers from the usual to total brain fade ones? You just need to watch both of them play closely I guess or ask the Port Power supporter their opinion of their Jones.

Yet the draft have them as inside or outside midfielders or can play both inside or outside midfielders or wingman. So I've always seen inside midfielders as those who attend the center bounce and get contested possession like M.Crouch, outside midfielders as those who attend the center bounce and hang on the outside to receive possession like Kelly and wingman as specific players who attend outside the center square like Amon.
No. In a word.

The ones you see around the centre bounce contest are all inside mids. What you are describing as outside is called roving.

The role of the inside midfielders is to win the contested ball. The role of the wingman( outside midfielder) is to recieve the ball from the inside midfieldets and provide outside run. ( I think you described it as running up and down the wing between the 50m arcs) They all have an important role to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't know stats differentiate between the level of clangers from the usual to total brain fade ones? You just need to watch both of them play closely I guess or ask the Port Power supporter their opinion of their Jones.
Differentiating doesn’t really matter if you can’t hit targets.

And to add to that I suppose, a balanced midfielder means somebody who can play either in an inside mid role or as a wingman/outside mid

No. In a word.

The ones you see around the centre bounce contest are all inside mids. What you are describing as outside is called roving.

The role of the inside midfielders is to win the contested ball. The role of the wingman( outside midfielder) is to recieve the ball from the inside midfieldets and provide outside run. ( I think you described it as running up and down the wing between the 50m arcs) They all have an important role to play.
You are correct, the AFL did classified players like Gaff, Walsh, Amon and Langdon as the most effective wingman a few years ago but somehow I don't see Amon and Langdon as outside midfielders unlike Gaff and Walsh.

It sucks that it is rigged just like the pokies.
A condition of their license should be that they cant ban anyone, well it would be nice, lol.:D

Some dirty tactics they would do back in the day, is offer freebies and incentives in the form of gifts to losing punters, be it Club jumpers, footballs etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back