MFC Fans Only Non-Demons AFL Discussion – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with the angry folks about players learning new ways to play for frees and having no ability to protect themselves from a hit. Go in head-first to a contest, slap your head on the ground when you're tackled to the ground, etc. It's inviting concussion and serious injury.

The people in charge of the game have been making the contest side of the game progressively worse for a long time, but it's become unumpirable and more likely to encourage serious injury through miserable interpretation of rules. And it looks like piss.

I agree with the angry folks about players learning new ways to play for frees and having no ability to protect themselves from a hit. Go in head-first to a contest, slap your head on the ground when you're tackled to the ground, etc. It's inviting concussion and serious injury.

The people in charge of the game have been making the contest side of the game progressively worse for a long time, but it's become unumpirable and more likely to encourage serious injury through miserable interpretation of rules. And it looks like piss.
Game used to be built on contests with no fear, and a game that felt like it had no rules.

Now it's a game that has nothing but rules and actual contests are frowned upon

Might need to update their what is AFL video

It's about scoring just slightly more than your opposition! One person going for the ball while the other protects him! Tacklings fun, just make sure you gently a leave a pillow down underneath them when your done ✅
No bumps, we absolutely hate that but watch Jack Ginnivan play for a free kick! Look at the skill!
Defenders are the big markers now, it's a forwards job to stop them!

Last edited:

If they paid holding the ball correctly, and rewarded the tackler, the game would be safer and the ground opened up.

They leave the whistle away long enough and it’s inevitable that the tackles become more dangerous

If they paid holding the ball correctly, and rewarded the tackler, the game would be safer and the ground opened up.

They leave the whistle away long enough and it’s inevitable that the tackles become more dangerous
Yeah this is what Chris Scott was saying in his presser. The dangerous tackle rule is telling players not to take their opponents to ground but in doing so they have to give them so long to get rid of the footy that the tackler is being punished for not dumping them.

The rules actually say that if you have prior and are tackled you need to get rid of the ball instantly. The definition of 'instant' seems to be about 5 seconds.

Basically the umpires just need to blow the whistle faster for tackles either way. If there's no prior call it a ball up immediately and if there is prior call it a htb immediately.

Yeah this is what Chris Scott was saying in his presser. The dangerous tackle rule is telling players not to take their opponents to ground but in doing so they have to give them so long to get rid of the footy that the tackler is being punished for not dumping them.

The rules actually say that if you have prior and are tackled you need to get rid of the ball instantly. The definition of 'instant' seems to be about 5 seconds.

Basically the umpires just need to blow the whistle faster for tackles either way. If there's no prior call it a ball up immediately and if there is prior call it a htb immediately.
It’s pretty crazy that the only adjustment to the rules that the AFL hasn’t tried is the actual rule.

One thing I find interesting when watching highlights or replays from the 90s is that if a player is tackled with no prior opportunity the umpire would be there calling a ball up within 1.5 seconds - and it used to be extremely effective IMO. Now it's 'waiting...waiting...waiting' some more and 14 seconds after the tackle was laid and it was clear that the ball wasn't going to get clear then they finally blow the whistle.

Last edited:
One thing I find interesting when watching highlights or replays from the 90s is that if a player is tackled with no prior opportunity the umpire would be there calling a ball up within 1.5 seconds - and it used to be extremely effective INO. Now it's 'waiting...waiting...waiting' some more and 14 seconds after the tackle was laid and it was clear that the ball wasn't going to get clear then they finally blow the whistle.
Totally.

And during the waiting time you get a swarm of players in some kind of rugby maul because the umpire hasn’t blown the whistle. I swear I see three events in this s**t that should be holding the ball or incorrect disposal, and eventually you get 15 guys swarming because for some reason the ball is still live. I get to a point where I stop caring whether there are missed calls and scream just ball it up FFS. It’s horrible watching and has Jack s**t to do with the rules.

And then you sit through a week of media crapping on about the game not being “Free-flowing” enough.

Just pay holding the ball as per the rule. Just trial it even, it can’t be worse.

Totally.

And during the waiting time you get a swarm of players in some kind of rugby maul because the umpire hasn’t blown the whistle. I swear I see three events in this s**t that should be holding the ball or incorrect disposal, and eventually you get 15 guys swarming because for some reason the ball is still live. I get to a point where I stop caring whether there are missed calls and scream just ball it up FFS. It’s horrible watching and has Jack s**t to do with the rules.

And then you sit through a week of media crapping on about the game not being “Free-flowing” enough.

Just pay holding the ball as per the rule. Just trial it even, it can’t be worse.
Yeah I'm with you I hate free kicks but the game would be so much better if holding the ball was almost instant. You'd also make the game after because there'd be no need to bring anyone to the ground unless it's a chase down tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back