Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s possible to make a case that the umpire recognised it was loud and since the kick didn’t travel far the two Collingwood players thought it was play on unaware the whistle had been blown

So some leniency was given. Fair enough

Except in other instances no such leniency is given

It’s the lack of consistency and the picking and choosing when to be a stickler for the letter of the law and when to be forgiving

You find always a superstar will have those that hate them for whatever reason, an act done once the armchair brigade despise. You know, the lazy types who have done nothing in life, feel envy and need something to be wrong with others to make them feel worthy.

But I can’t see how anyone watching daicos cannot admire what he does. I know he plays for Collingwood but the man can play! Worst still, he is nowhere near his peak!

That performance today was awesome. Collingwood fans are very lucky.

It’s the lack of consistency and the picking and choosing when to be a stickler for the letter of the law and when to be forgiving
This is it 100%

That Yeo call was a call made where the umpire was desperate to call the free kick. If he’d called ball up no one would have batted and eyelid.

Yet this week the umpire is tentative on the whistle as they don’t want to make a game changing decision?

Which one is it AFL, umpires will voraciously umpire the game to the letter of the law or umpires will take a conservative approach based on the situation of the game.

It can’t be both.

It’s possible to make a case that the umpire recognised it was loud and since the kick didn’t travel far the two Collingwood players thought it was play on unaware the whistle had been blown

This reminds me of when the umpires were being a stickler for the run too far rule and they pinged rankine for that when never gets paid .

What team was that against again ?

Then the no advantage call in the last minute of the GF when neale got legged and bailey had just slammed it forward .
Should have been bought back .

Umps seem to be the real magicians with these pies come backs

Last edited:

Bit like how the rules seem to get applied differently depending where on the ground it happens or what the stage of the game is.

The problem is that if you put the whistle away because it would be 'harsh' even though a free was there, you have been harsh on the other side by not paying it. Sympathy shouldn't come into umpiring decisions at all.

Sorry keys.

That's not fair enough.
That as blatant a 50 metre free kick as they come.

Isn’t it just so surprising that all these calls benefit Collingwood hey?

That was excellent. Bartel went hard and direct and there's actually no arguing with any of his points. He also slammed them by mocking their usual corporate response, that they've reviewed them and are happy with the process. If the rest of the media pick this up, hopefully we might see some pressure on the BS umpiring standards

That was excellent. Bartel went hard and direct and there's actually no arguing with any of his points. He also slammed them by mocking their usual corporate response, that they've reviewed them and are happy with the process. If the rest of the media pick this up, hopefully we might see some pressure on the BS umpiring standards

If he gets fined, I'll pay it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It keeps getting talked about but have they done even one minor thing to address it? One step to make them more accountable? A review into integrity, fairness etc?

I mean, supporters will always be a little biased, and complaining about the umps is as old as the game. So when we do air legitimate grievances they'll use the boy cries wolf line. It doesn't change the fact it's clearly not consistent, not fair, and fans should speak up about it. I've never one to make a big song and dance about umpiring but how Collingwood have been umpired since really late 2022 until now is like nothing I've seen. It would not surprise me if something comes out of this.

I only have to go back to the early 2000s through to maybe 2010 and the complaints about umpiring felt much more benign compared to now. I would watch our games and get frustrated at bad calls or missed calls but usually those same calls would occur in neutral games as well. The standard of umpiring was still poor to average but it was somewhat consistent.

Since 2010 on wards it's been progressively just getting worse and worse. to the point now where I get just as mad at the poor umpiring in neutral games as I do our own. I can't ever remember that being the case.
The crap that went down today in the North v Pies game was woeful and the fact AFL HQ has zero shame about the standard of umpiring is horrifically bad.

Until the media call them out and the coaches grow a pair and start calling it out it in pressers nothing is going to change other than the same asinine platitudes they give us week in week out.

And surprise, surprise Gillon McLahlan appointed CEO of Tabcorp. The links between the AFL and the gambling industry is disgusting.
Absolutely disgraceful and sadly not even that surprising

I only have to go back to the early 2000s through to maybe 2010 and the complaints about umpiring felt much more benign compared to now. I would watch our games and get frustrated at bad calls or missed calls but usually those same calls would occur in neutral games as well. The standard of umpiring was still poor to average but it was somewhat consistent.

Since 2010 on wards it's been progressively just getting worse and worse. to the point now where I get just as mad at the poor umpiring in neutral games as I do our own. I can't ever remember that being the case.
The crap that went down today in the North v Pies game was woeful and the fact AFL HQ has zero shame about the standard of umpiring is horrifically bad.

Until the media call them out and the coaches grow a pair and start calling it out it in pressers nothing is going to change other than the same asinine platitudes they give us week in week out.
It's definitely getting worse, it's not our imagination. Of course if it benefits their team fans will dismiss/downplay it for the most part. I can honestly say though even if we got the treatment the Pies have been getting it'd leave a sour taste in my mouth, like almost ruining it for us. I guess some care about winning no matter what.

If this continues I hope the public responds and holds the whole AFL accountable. If Collingwood win it again I'm not going to watch in 2025, until I see real fairness/consistency.

It's definitely getting worse, it's not our imagination. Of course if it benefits their team fans will dismiss/downplay it for the most part. I can honestly say though even if we got the treatment the Pies have been getting it'd leave a sour taste in my mouth, like almost ruining it for us. I guess some care about winning no matter what.

If this continues I hope the public responds and holds the whole AFL accountable. If Collingwood win it again I'm not going to watch in 2025, until I see real fairness/consistency.

If WCE received the treatment Collingwood got and Reid was as looked after as Naicos, you'd never hear the end of it from the usual Vic plebs.

If WCE received the treatment Collingwood got and Reid was as looked after as Naicos, you'd never hear the end of it from the usual Vic plebs.
I mean, they made a deal out of Eagles home fans booing as if we were the only ones who did it, or if any other team isn't the same or as one eyed.

I think they wanted Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon to be 2, 3 and 4. They bring in the biggest crowds, most money for the AFL, makes sense they would look after those 3.

I'm not naive enough to think it's all umpire incompetence. Aussie rules, unlike say tennis where it's usually very black and white (e.g. mostly line calls) has a loophole with a lot of umpiring decisions so are we really naive enough to think they may not take advantage of that?

Man gets job as the head of a legal business and people’s heads explode…

Shame he didn’t take on Peter vlandys and take the top job at the VRC.
That isn't the point.

Firstly, no one's head exploded and no one is saying he doesn't have a right to get a job anywhere he wants. The issue is the inundation of gambling ads, segments and general spruiking in all things AFL, not just normalising gambling (again, a perfectly legal activity) but pushing it down our throats like a Ron Jeremy montage, without a care for the harm it causes, whilst also taking moral stances on other societal issues. Not only is there clear hyprocrisy, it seems clear that on this societal issue, the AFL has been bought off.

Again, all perfectly legal like politicians getting plum industry jobs in sectors they oversaw, but doesn't mean people can't call it out for what it is and have an issue with it. I actually don't give a fk where Gil works and would be perfectly happy to never see his head again, but I get tired of the continual gambling promotion when I watch the footy and see broader issues with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back