Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is a driving motion actually in the rules? You would think Cameron’s tackle is the definition of a driving motion.

If it’s not specified in the rules then you can seemingly do anything that’s not caught by a rule and if concussions result
- well that’s just bad luck.

Jumping at someone front on like Cameron did and following through until their head hits the ground will result in a concussion more often not so the AFL will do something about it because I do think they are concerned about concussion.

They could call it ‘Cameron’s Rule’. The less Cameron gets the ball the more he attacks the opposition.
Time to tell reid if he wants to tackle that front on driving them into the dirt is 100% legal.
No probs

Time to tell reid if he wants to tackle that front on driving them into the dirt is 100% legal.
No probs

It's not though, it's just if it goes to the tribunal the potential to cause injury must be discussed otherwise he can get off on a technicality.

Zita was on 6PR about half an hour ago and he was trying not to laugh whilst explaining the whole thing. It's all legal shit talk and actually has nothing to do with the action itself.

This sport is absolutely mind boggling.

Yeah to clarify those tackles are still illegal and will be adjudged as such (even if I disagree with it particularly with Bedford’s).

It’s just that they need to dot their i’s when explaining it or they’ll get off on a legal technicality. It’s like letting a known criminal walk free because you got the confession illegally.

Love the need to play act at a weekly courtroom drama instead of just adjudicating the game.

And in more WTF news.

According to Fox Footy (Ralphy) AFL looking at wild card (2028 unconfirmed) round when Tassie comes in.

Coz $.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
‘Wild card’ round.

I wonder which conference will get the extra playoff spot? I mean division. I mean…wait we have one ladder?

Oh so expanding the finals to 10 teams, not ‘wildcard’ round.

Am I the only one here that thought Cameron's tackle wasn't that bad?
Nope. I never thought it should have been cited. Perfectly legit tackle that was unlucky to have a bad outcome in my eyes. I strongly suspect most here bemoaning it would have a completely opposite view if roles were reversed.
I hate that the AFL are so scared of losing money they are outlawing legit footy actions for the unattainable outcome of eliminating concussions in a contact sport. Get rid of high bumps and slings for sure but the other stuff is out of control. The have taken a sport, turned it inyo a money making product and bit by bit are removing the sport itself.
Happy they were both thrown out even if the mechanism was laughably rediculous and based on no logic. That is to be expected though with these clowns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. I never thought it should have been cited. Perfectly legit tackle that was unlucky to have a bad outcome in my eyes. I strongly suspect most here bemoaning it would have a completely opposite view if roles were reversed.
I hate that the AFL are so scared of losing money they are outlawing legit footy actions for the unattainable outcome of eliminating concussions in a contact sport. Get rid of high bumps and slings for sure but the other stuff is out of control. The have taken a sport, turned it inyo a money making product and bit by bit are removing the sport itself.
Happy they were both thrown out even if the mechanism was laughably rediculous and based on no logic. That is to be expected though with these clowns.
I didn't think it was 3 weeks, I thought 1 but only after seeing replays. Originally thought nothing of it.

I just find it hard to judge these things, like last year when Duggan was suspended for one of the most innocuous things that nobody even noticed during the game. We eneded up not challenging it because Duggan was injured anyway but it was an embarrassing suspension. So I don't know what the baseline is anymore.

Cameron did have other choices though and completed the tackle awkwardly, his own driving movements being the decisive factor in how they both fell.

I didn't think it was 3 weeks, I thought 1 but only after seeing replays. Originally thought nothing of it.

I just find it hard to judge these things, like last year when Duggan was suspended for one of the most innocuous things that nobody even noticed during the game. We eneded up not challenging it because Duggan was injured anyway but it was an embarrassing suspension. So I don't know what the baseline is anymore.

Cameron did have other choices though and completed the tackle awkwardly, his own driving movements being the decisive factor in how they both fell.
I think that often the first impression is the right one. The issue we have now is that if there is an injury, we are dissecting these tackles ad-infinity through slow-mo replays, having a think about it and then saying the player should have done this differently or done that. It has no basis in reality.
The player only has one shot at it and he is moving at pace and has a split second to effect the tackle, sometimes things go wrong, it happens. So I think looking at it at full speed is generally what gives the most realistic understanding of what happened and what was or wasn't a reasonable action.

I think that often the first impression is the right one. The issue we have now is that if there is an injury, we are dissecting these tackles ad-infinity through slow-mo replays, having a think about it and then saying the player should have done this differently or done that. It has no basis in reality.
The player only has one shot at it and he is moving at pace and has a split second to effect the tackle, sometimes things go wrong, it happens. So I think looking at it at full speed is generally what gives the most realistic understanding of what happened and what was or wasn't a reasonable action.
Cameron had a chance to land the tackle differently, more so than Bedford. He could have rolled him over, in fact you can see Duggan trying to twist to land on his side and Cameron puts his head on Duggo's chest and launches him straight backwards. Just as dangerous as a sling tackle in my opinion.

Cameron had a chance to land the tackle differently, more so than Bedford. He could have rolled him over, in fact you can see Duggan trying to twist to land on his side and Cameron puts his head on Duggo's chest and launches him straight backwards. Just as dangerous as a sling tackle in my opinion.
YEt if you watch a game of Rugby League, you will see 30 or more tackles exactly like this, often with 2 or 3 tacklers driving them back and putting them on their back yet it is rare to see a concussion from this action. Most the concussions come from head high shots. So I don't think that action is inherently dangerous.
One of the big differences though which I think is becoming more apparent is the difference in the grounds. RL grounds are softer and perhaps due to the AFL striving to have the game become faster and more pretty with every passing day, the grounds have become too hard which is why we are seeing a really big increase in the number of concussions due to players hitting the deck? Or maybe those concussions were always there, we just paid no attention to them and players played on, but I really think there are more today than there were 20 years ago.

And the Lions claiming Duggan was the one in control of the tackle and taking them both to ground should have been tested by the AFL.

Pretty clear when Cameron regains his feet after initial contact he drives with his legs to get max force.

Yet another issue with the tribunal process that both sides (AFL are worse) just make things/evidence up to suit their narrative as there is no penalty for blatant lies (I.e. afl are constantly saying both arms are pinned when one is clearly free, or in HR’s case that a guy was given no chance to protect himself despite his blatant appeals for a free kick instead of using arms to create a soft landing)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

YEt if you watch a game of Rugby League, you will see 30 or more tackles exactly like this, often with 2 or 3 tacklers driving them back and putting them on their back yet it is rare to see a concussion from this action. Most the concussions come from head high shots. So I don't think that action is inherently dangerous.
One of the big differences though which I think is becoming more apparent is the difference in the grounds. RL grounds are softer and perhaps due to the AFL striving to have the game become faster and more pretty with every passing day, the grounds have become too hard which is why we are seeing a really big increase in the number of concussions due to players hitting the deck? Or maybe those concussions were always there, we just paid no attention to them and players played on, but I really think there are more today than there were 20 years ago.
except Duggan sustained brain damage (concussion)

I think this outcome proves in the future that we just appeal every tribunal decision made against us.

The tribunal has now set precedent that they have NFI when it comes to sanctioning players for footy incidents. Just walk right past them, take it up with the lawyers and use the Lions defense.

Whats the worst that could happen? It costs us money? Oh noes! We certainly dont have any of that in the club!

I think this outcome proves in the future that we just appeal every tribunal decision made against us.

The tribunal has now set precedent that they have NFI when it comes to sanctioning players for footy incidents. Just walk right past them, take it up with the lawyers and use the Lions defense.

Whats the worst that could happen? It costs us money? Oh noes! We certainly dont have any of that in the club!
The most disappointing thing of the fiasco this week is that Harley previously sat out for two games for a tackle that didn't even cause an injury.

The most disappointing thing of the fiasco this week is that Harley previously sat out for two games for a tackle that didn't even cause an injury.
This is still pissing me off and has annoyed me how little has been said about it. Watching players do the same dumping motion (Rowbottom, Maynard etc) and not even getting cited and watching players get KO'd with driving tackles and get off on an issue of law without any commentary over it other than the general "Who knows what the AFL will find?".

Last year "good bloke" DeGoey got 1 more week than Reid for lining up someone who had disposed of the ball and was in a vulnerable position and sent him to next week because he had remorse over the incident.

Meanwhile Reid has the potential to injure (read: end the players career) by spinning him around without pinning his arms.

A player caused - directly or indirectly, depending on which team you support - to the premature retirement of a player and he got 0 weeks just last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back