Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said earlier - nope, hes not just taking a wing. Aish is JL's love child, hes not getting that spot, and as of the last 2 weeks, henry has that spot until he fails again. Also, Cerra isnt a winger. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole doesnt work. nevertheless, losing Cerra and getting Amiss is a deal i'd take again and again and again and we as a club are far far better off for it.
Hello Mr Freo1, I feel strongly enough that I have to step in here and just let you know that Adam is a very very good AFL player and we'd find a way for him to get a game if we were lucky enough to have him still. Appreciate the support of our players though, we love them all as much as you do.

Go Freo!!!

Hello Mr Freo1, I feel strongly enough that I have to step in here and just let you know that Adam is a very very good AFL player and we'd find a way for him to get a game if we were lucky enough to have him still. Appreciate the support of our players though, we love them all as much as you do.

Go Freo!!!
Yeah a good player, but didn't want to be in the Purple. Better gone than give nothing Like a certain other did.

Go Freo!!!
thanks freo_dockers for playing along.

Go Freo!!!
RESPOND TO MY DMs ON TWITTER

First of all, why would you accuse Mitchell of being in denial when it was Luke Hodge who made the comment?
Previously it was Clarkson who praised Mitchell for the sacrificial role he played that day. They said it. Not Sammy.

Secondly, I think you misunderstand the point that was made.
Nobody was disrespecting Crowley nor being in "denial" about Mitchell's paltry stats... lol

Sure, the stats don't lie... Crowley kept Mitchell to 12 disposals, well below his usual 30. Nobody denies the great tagging job performed by Crowley that day. But the point is, Mitchell wasn't completely useless. He put the team first by putting himself (and his tagger) in the road of Freo's dominant stoppage work. He knew he was rooted with Crowley wearing him like a glove, but instead of trying to eke out 18, 19, 20 possessions, he put his ego aside and did what was best for the team.

The proof was in the pudding.

In the lead-up finals, Fremantle had destroyed Geelong and Sydney around the stoppages with Sandilands hitting it down to Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and Neale.
Hawthorn's ruckmen were similarly dominated by Sandi in the GF and yet they were able to win most of the clearances, including some very decisive clearances leading to goals.

QF: Geel vs Freo... Freo won hitouts 53-16....... Freo won clearances 43-22
PF: Freo vs Syd...... Freo won hitouts 53-30....... Freo won clearances 42-34
GF: Haw vs Freo..... Freo won hitouts 55-27... Hawks won clearances 42-34

Hodge could've spoken about any of the 108 games when Mitchell polled Brownlow votes, but he chose to highlight Mitchell putting the team first and he used the 2013 GF as an example. Because that's the Hawthorn way, mate. Hodge and Mitchell both have more premiership medals (4) than All Australian jumpers (3) because they always did what was best for the team rather than chasing individual glory.
Rackety rackety blah blah.

Grub Mitchell is a grub. That’s all.

Dress it up all you like. Little bloke behaved like a campaigner. That’s the story.

What's happening?
Can't come soon enough.

It makes watching sport with kids bloody difficult.

Nathan Brown might have to find a new job. We will hear all the usual crap about free to air footy being threatened by loss of ad revenue etc etc. I don’t care.
The AFL can get up off their ass and find some more ethical sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too right. The punt is a massive psychosocial hazard. No one sensible is suggesting it’s a good idea to spread it in sugar for kids.

Similarly no one sensible is saying you wholesale ban punting. But advertising can **** right off. Cricket survived without the lung buster lucre.

The only one of my four kids even remotely interested in gambling is the one who has consumed metric shit tons of footy product. No surprise. It’s inextricably embedded into his appreciation of the game.

Too right. The punt is a massive psychosocial hazard. No one sensible is suggesting it’s a good idea to spread it in sugar for kids.

Similarly no one sensible is saying you wholesale ban punting. But advertising can * right off. Cricket survived without the lung buster lucre.

The only one of my four kids even remotely interested in gambling is the one who has consumed metric s**t tons of footy product. No surprise. It’s inextricably embedded into his appreciation of the game.
Agreed.
I must say podcasts like Hard Ball Gets, whilst good for footy chat, spend far too much time talking about betting.
Xavier Ellis in particular is obsessed with gambling and weaves it into practically every talking point. Once they get to the “Hard Ball Bets” segment of the pod I just switch it off.
It’s pretty hard to find a footy pundit that doesn’t have their hands dirty by promoting gambling to be honest. Caro Wilson, not everyone’s cup of tea, deserves credit for being consistent on this issue with that slimeball Hutchy over the years. Can’t think of many others.

Fair enough...

Although, I never begrudged Fyfe for decking Lewis with that off-the-ball king-hit which cost him the 2014 Brownlow...
It's funny how footy fans wear rose-coloured glasses and only see the opposition snipers. :D
Can you imagine the reaction if Hodge or Mitchell decked Fyfe with a similar hit?

I always take the attitude that AFL footballers are like gladiators. Sometimes, players lash out and make the opposition wear a bruise or two. You won't see me squealing about it. Bring it on, I say. The rougher and dirtier the game is, the better it is. Much better than today's sanitised horseshit with dudes like Sicily missing 3 matches for tackling a player.

Can’t let this one slide… I’m pretty sure Fyfe lost his Brownlow in an earlier game against Gold Coast and there was an accidental head clash. Doubt it even gets suspended today. Was shoulder to shoulder and both heads clashed. No concussion. He got two weeks. Was the beginning of the anti bump rules and Fyfe got done. Nothing to do with smacking Lewis. Just saved him from winning it while suspended cos he missed out on two games to accumulate more votes. bet gillon was happy on Brownlow night.

The flood of gambling advertising might finally be coming to an end.
Prepare for the usual harbingers of doom in the AFL media to come out warning of the repercussions for fans. Going to be very interesting
I sincerely hope it comes to pass one day what a shitty legacy Gillon McLachlan left behind by jumping into bed with every gambling company who winked at him across the room

Can’t let this one slide… I’m pretty sure Fyfe lost his Brownlow in an earlier game against Gold Coast and there was an accidental head clash. Doubt it even gets suspended today. Was shoulder to shoulder and both heads clashed. No concussion. He got two weeks. Was the beginning of the anti bump rules and Fyfe got done.
Yep. I stand corrected. Although Fyfe wasn't the first to be suspended for bumping. That's not right. The AFL had been trying to eradicate the head high bump for years previous to that one.

e.g. In 2010, Franklin was suspended 3 times in 8 games for "fair" bumps under the old rules. Laughable decisions they were. Soft as butter. Buddy had something like six or seven suspensions while at Hawthorn, all for bumping. Then he went to Sydney and the AFL gave him a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. They let him go around smashing blokes and always claimed there was "insufficient force" or some tripe.

Vic bias ??? :tearsofjoy::thumbsu:

Nothing to do with smacking Lewis. Just saved him from winning it while suspended cos he missed out on two games to accumulate more votes. bet gillon was happy on Brownlow night.
Any gripes you may have had about Fyfe being ineligible for the 2014 Brownlow from the Round 2 suspension were made redundant by him belting Lewis. You're kind of glossing over that... He was lucky to be given only a 1 match ban which enabled him to play in week 1 of the finals.

Also a bit weird that you'd infer the AFL were happy to stitch him up and rob him of a Brownlow. It's the exact opposite. You should be thanking the AFL for not suspending him for tripping Koby Stevens and enabling him to take home the 2015 medal. He was found guilty and copped a fine, but remained eligible for the Brownlow. Tripping (by foot) had been an automatic 1 week suspension prior to that.

Go Freo!!!
Gold!

Also the underrating of cerra is crazy

Massive "that chick is ugly AF because she broke up with me" vibes
I still blame COVID for losing Cerra , The Club was managing his homesickness very well . Until Border restrictions made it impossible.
I believe he would have stayed in a normal world .
Hence I have zero angst towards Adam and wish him the very best .
He is playing some great footy at the moment and would be a good chance to win Carltons B&F :'(

Yep. I stand corrected. Although Fyfe wasn't the first to be suspended for bumping. That's not right. The AFL had been trying to eradicate the head high bump for years previous to that one.

e.g. In 2010, Franklin was suspended 3 times in 8 games for "fair" bumps under the old rules. Laughable decisions they were. Soft as butter. Buddy had something like six or seven suspensions while at Hawthorn, all for bumping. Then he went to Sydney and the AFL gave him a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. They let him go around smashing blokes and always claimed there was "insufficient force" or some tripe.

Vic bias ??? :tearsofjoy::thumbsu:

Any gripes you may have had about Fyfe being ineligible for the 2014 Brownlow from the Round 2 suspension were made redundant by him belting Lewis. You're kind of glossing over that... He was lucky to be given only a 1 match ban which enabled him to play in week 1 of the finals.

Also a bit weird that you'd infer the AFL were happy to stitch him up and rob him of a Brownlow. It's the exact opposite. You should be thanking the AFL for not suspending him for tripping Koby Stevens and enabling him to take home the 2015 medal. He was found guilty and copped a fine, but remained eligible for the Brownlow. Tripping (by foot) had been an automatic 1 week suspension prior to that.

I guess it's arguable but the 'trip' was clearly part of accidentally slipping over and as such had zero intent and barely rates as 'careless'.

Looking at the parlous state of the Weavils and hearing all these people complain they are affecting the competition by giving unfair advantage to those who get ‘em twice, I looked at their early start.

Got within a kick in round 1, won round 2.

It irks me that Freo completely broke West Coast in round 3 and everyone else has been profiting since. We should be getting a percentage of the percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back