Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When I umpired juniors, other ump asked me 'Who do you think deserves votes?'

Me: **K knows, I wasn't paying attention to that - I was running around paying free kicks.

Did eventually get better at it... but it's not like I'm just sitting on my arse admiring their ability. Sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall and see the kids reactions when I probably gave votes to someone completely unexpected.

Personally think because I know the AFL have the capability, that each umpire should do 321 by themselves without needing a consensus, then the top 3 from each match are read as 3, 2, 1 on Brownlow night.
From my experience umpiring it is a flawed system

Maybe the AFL guys are better at it but personally it’s the last thing I’m looking at during the game

When we meet at the breaks and make vote notes all you really think of are the midfielders because they do the odd speccy , get a lot of ball and you are in close looking at them

But there are defenders and forwards doing equally important things who should get recognised as well

A vote should go to each of the 3 arcs for each quarter

To the AFL , I don’t think that it’s possible anyone could say that Patrick Cripps was more exceptionally more valuable to his team than someone like Jacob Weitering or Harris Andrew’s

Last edited:
When I umpired juniors, other ump asked me 'Who do you think deserves votes?'

Me: **K knows, I wasn't paying attention to that - I was running around paying free kicks.

Did eventually get better at it... but it's not like I'm just sitting on my arse admiring their ability. Sometimes wonder what it would be like to be a fly on the wall and see the kids reactions when I probably gave votes to someone completely unexpected.

Personally think because I know the AFL have the capability, that each umpire should do 321 by themselves without needing a consensus, then the top 3 from each match are read as 3, 2, 1 on Brownlow night.
Tbh when I have coached I have found it hard to give votes.

IMO voting should be done by the most senior umpire officiating, not through consensus

From my experience umpiring it is a flawed system

Maybe the AFL guys are better at it but personally it’s the last thing I’m looking at during the game

When we meet at the breaks and make vote notes all you really think of are the midfielders because they do the odd speccy , get a lot of ball and you are in close looking at them

But there are defenders and forwards doing equally important things who should get recognised as well

A vote should go to each of the 3 arcs for each quarter

To the AFL , I don’t think that it’s possible anyone could say that Patrick Cripps was more exceptionally more valuable to his team than someone like Jacob Weitering or Harris Andrew’s
It’s hard to have imposed rules though. In a flogging, the backline might barely touch it so they probably can’t get votes if the mids and forwards are dominating.

Doing votes occasionally for junior footy, it was bloody hard unless I had a pen & paper and recorded stuff as I went. By the end of the game, it was easy to tally stuff up but good luck with no stats & a whole other job to do.

The 3,2,1 voting is just too limited and the umpires don’t give enough votes to non midfielders. They probably need to over haul it but I doubt they will.

Last edited:

It’s hard to have imposed rules though. In a flogging, the backline might barely touch it so they probably can’t get votes if the mids and forwards are dominating.

Doing votes occasionally for junior footy, it was bloody hard unless I had a pen & paper and recorded stuff as I went. By the end of the game, it was easy to tally stuff up but good luck with no stats & a whole other job to do.

The 3,2,1 voting is just too limited and the umpires don’t give enough votes to non midfielders. They probably need to over haul it but I doubt they will.
I go back to our opening round match in 2010 against Adelaide when Michael Barlow burst on the scene. Everyone except the umps knew he was bog but he didn’t get a Brownlow vote because they didn’t know who he was.

Also from memory there was some peculiar stuff around 2010 2011 when Dane Swan was the best player of 2010, won everything except the Brownlow and then won it in 2011 when the umps tried to make up for the previous year.

It is too hard for the umps I think and the Brownlow is being devalued.

The only time a player has ever deserved their brownlow was when Fyfe won it and you can't change my mind.

Ghosts Im Not Crazy GIF by MIRAMAX

Don't see why the Brownlow needs to be changed at all. "It's a midfielders award now", yeah so is literally every other award in the game. The mids have the most impact on the vast majority of games and it makes sense that they receive the majority of the votes.

There are probably 20+ awards given out by every single media outlet + coaches and players. I would imagine that every single one this year went to a mid and was a mixture of Cripps, Daicos and Bont.

Don't see why the Brownlow needs to be changed at all. "It's a midfielders award now", yeah so is literally every other award in the game. The mids have the most impact on the vast majority of games and it makes sense that they receive the majority of the votes.

There are probably 20+ awards given out by every single media outlet + coaches and players. I would imagine that every single one this year went to a mid and was a mixture of Cripps, Daicos and Bont.
The only reason it needs changing is the wrong people vote for it.

hypothetically, who would you rather. key forward or gun mid. treacy vs serong.

i've been giving this some thought and my feeling is that mids have worked out how to play the mid forward role to maximum effect. everyone is copying dustin martin. however, similar to basketball and how the bigs are slowly acquiring the guard skills i think the mid forward stuff will return to the centrehalf forward line. does that make sense?

hypothetically, who would you rather. key forward or gun mid. treacy vs serong.

i've been giving this some thought and my feeling is that mids have worked out how to play the mid forward role to maximum effect. everyone is copying dustin martin. however, similar to basketball and how the bigs are slowly acquiring the guard skills i think the mid forward stuff will return to the centrehalf forward line. does that make sense?

Personally I would take Treacy 100/100 but that's because he has a tank that means he can get around the ground to impact as well as on the scoreboard. Those old school bigs in the NBA would be like the old school stay at home full forwards, the game has gone past that style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but then you wouldn't be able to bet on it. The only people trustworthy enough would be the senior coaches and they already do the Coaches award anyway.
What is there's three sets of envelopes randomly taped under seats and whoever sits on those seats get to do the voting for that match?

What is there's three sets of envelopes randomly taped under seats and whoever sits on those seats get to do the voting for that match?
yeah, and what if Daicos' mum sits on one of those three and gives her votes to Josh so he doesn't feel left out from his bro getting all the votes. Mum's are fair. It won't work.

Personally I would take Treacy 100/100 but that's because he has a tank that means he can get around the ground to impact as well as on the scoreboard. Those old school bigs in the NBA would be like the old school stay at home full forwards, the game has gone past that style.
yeah i reckon. the next step in the game will be teaching a centre half forward to behave like dustin martin. to an extent i think franklin already did that. but he not a full realisation of the concept.

What’s the go?
Had Harley Reid on blowing smoke up his ass
Then they wheel out Nic Nat who blew further smoke up Harleys backside.

Then just when you thought it couldn’t possibly get anymore cringy out comes Cuzzy and practically gets down on his knees

Supposed to be a GF special and turns into a WC wankfest
Was surreal !

Had Harley Reid on blowing smoke up his ass
Then they wheel out Nic Nat who blew further smoke up Harleys backside.

Then just when you thought it couldn’t possibly get anymore cringy out comes Cuzzy and practically gets down on his knees

Supposed to be a GF special and turns into a WC wankfest
Was surreal !
Glad I didn’t watch it 🤮

yeah i reckon. the next step in the game will be teaching a centre half forward to behave like dustin martin. to an extent i think franklin already did that. but he not a full realisation of the concept.

Luke Jackson should be this player, he has all the attributes to be the first real big man to play 50/50 forward/mid (Pav was this for 1 season but his body type meant it wasn't sustainable). We really need to unleash his full potential next year and not play him exclusively as a forward/ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024 Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back