Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to walk up to a bloke and seek his consent to tackle. Once received, you are to carefully wrap your arms around him while standing, remain standing for the duration and hope the powers of the officiating umpire to divine intent and opportunity are strong and in your favour.

From what I was reading on the AFL site Cameron's case was dismissed because of a legal technically in the procedural manner as presented by the AFL. Similar situation to the case where the suspension for Cripps was overturned (that's how it read to me anyway?)
I thought they shut that loophole down as an option after Cripps got off.

sets Duggan up nicely for post-career litigation against the AFL. AFL made a song and dance about how this latest head knock for him was wrong by giving the tackler a massive 3 weeks off work, then only to turn around and say, nah, that's a football action, that's an allowable part of our game and what our employees can be subjected to, no ramification for the tackler at all. Pretty Fn stupid if you ask me.

Is concussion an unpredictable and unknown outcome of genuine football actions? I say it is not, I've seen guys knock themselves out landing form taking a mark.

There is an element of physical risk in the game and if punching a guy in the face is worth less than a tackle without malice then there's an imbalance there.

Is concussion an unpredictable and unknown outcome of genuine football actions? I say it is not, I've seen guys knock themselves out landing form taking a mark.

There is an element of physical risk in the game and if punching a guy in the face is worth less than a tackle without malice then there's an imbalance there.
I suppose the next time someone gets knocked out by the ball do we suspend the kicker?

Not by suspending legal tackles.

Suspend the actions that deserve it.

It’s the legal tackles that are causing most of them , there’s not many true sling tackles that are doing the damage now it’s all the “ what was he supposed to do “ ones

If they don’t do something it’ll get worse and worse , whatever the reason is stronger players , harder grounds , better medical understanding or softer skulls concussion is getting out of control

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s the legal tackles that are causing most of them , there’s not many true sling tackles that are doing the damage now it’s all the “ what was he supposed to do “ ones

If they don’t do something it’ll get worse and worse , whatever the reason is stronger players , harder grounds , better medical understanding or softer skulls concussion is getting out of control

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only way is to ban tackling and contact. Which will be the end of the sport.

I thought they shut that loophole down as an option after Cripps got off.

The AFL article states it was "an error of law" in both the Cameron and Bedford cases.

I can't remember exactly what happened in the Cripps case but there are some serious issues involved if that's the best the AFL judiciary can do.

The clowns seem to be running the circus at AFL headquarters.

The AFL article states it was "an error of law" in both the Cameron and Bedford cases.

I can't remember exactly what happened in the Cripps case but there are some serious issues involved if that's the best the AFL judiciary can do.

The clowns seem to be running the circus at AFL headquarters.
Maybe “an error of law” is AFL speak for the MRO was off chops when he handed down 3 week suspensions for legal tackles

So after a week of hearing non-stop debate about the Bedford and Cameron tackles - we are left none the wiser as to whether they are illegal or worthy of a suspension. Due to a legal technicality.

Kudos to the GWS legal team for listening to the Cameron case and basically using “what they said” as their defence 😂

Nah. There are few things more exhilarating and team lifting than a rundown tackle.

I still think about James Clement chasing down Darren Milburnand dragging him to the deck.

Troy Cook ripping the life out of blokes.

It’s fantastic.
Fine. Just keep your feet. You can still do a run down tackle (although having a strong rugby background, AFL tackles for the most part look pretty lame to me).

If you want to see what a game looks like where HTB is almost not a thing, watch the '89 GF. The whole game was pretty exhilarating.

So after a week of hearing non-stop debate about the Bedford and Cameron tackles - we are left none the wiser as to whether they are illegal or worthy of a suspension. Due to a legal technicality.

Kudos to the GWS legal team for listening to the Cameron case and basically using “what they said” as their defence 😂
They probably will rewrite the definition of what a legal tackle is over the offseason. CTE ain't going away.

I thought Cameron should have gone as he keep going after the initial tackle and the aggression was strong, whereas I thought Bedford couldn't have done anything else. Guess there's so much grey area, but AFL look silly again with both getting off on technicalities..
Bedford showed so much remorse - I actually felt terrible for him

At it's heart it's misogynistic and I expect its use will lead to suspensions in the not too distant future.
That misogyny is obviously not on people's minds when they use the word (hell, I know people who use it as a synonym for "bloke") but ultimately that doesn't matter. The same is true of the word Clarko used, people just drop it as an equivalent to "arseh*le" or "****wit" without it even crossing their mind that it is a homophobic slur. (Not a defence of Clarko, it IS homophobic).
Collard's word is somewhat different in that it remains tied up with notions of effeminacy and the idea that homosexual men are not "real men".
Bastard is a slur and I guess a low key swear word. A key difference is that our society hasn't especially evolved to suppress or marginalise bastards as a group.

But we have done that with women, different races, sexual preferences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back