Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there some historical reason that would explain why Melbourne aren't a big club from a membership and crowd size perspective? Melbourne is a club that a) has a longer history in the comp in any other club, b) is based in the middle of the biggest population centre in the state, and c) has had the biggest and best stadium in Australia as its home ground for 100+ years.......and yet it isn't a powerhouse that draws big numbers to games like Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, or Collingwood.

The Dees are basically the MCC...the Freemasons of the AFL...who prefer to keep their numbers low to save on the cutlery and carpet cleaning.

Wow......the Eagles run the ball over the boundary by a good metre or so RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE UMP and he calls 'play on' 😳 for a goal......

I read this before and all are in agreeance that the ball is out, problem seems to be that the boundary umpire is MIA - not sure if we have any umpires here, but as per this the field umpire can't make the call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read this before and all are in agreeance that the ball is out, problem seems to be that the boundary umpire is MIA - not sure if we have any umpires here, but as per this the field umpire can't make the call

You can't be serious??! 😳

A field ump can't call an OOB........what level of stupidity is this game sinking to???!

I thought the bar was almost at ground level as it was, but the stupidity here is just mind blowing.........

You can't be serious??! 😳

A field ump can't call an OOB........what level of stupidity is this game sinking to???!

I thought the bar was almost at ground level as it was, but the stupidity here is just mind blowing.........

There's a really simple tweak that could help the games officiating:
  • Field umpires being able to call out of bounds when the boundary umpire is out of position
  • Boundary umpires being able to call free kicks such as throws when the field umpires are out of position

There's a really simple tweak that could help the games officiating:
  • Field umpires being able to call out of bounds when the boundary umpire is out of position
  • Boundary umpires being able to call free kicks such as throws when the field umpires are out of position

The concept of 'common sense' is totally lost on the AFL.

But even knowing that, I am / remain utterly gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity behind this.

Only the AFL.

Early days, but looks to me like it’s going to be a very even comp this year - lots of teams vying for the 8- especially 6-8 will be a battle to get in. Comon cats- need to win a fair few 50-50’s.

The concept of 'common sense' is totally lost on the AFL.

But even knowing that, I am / remain utterly gobsmacked at the sheer stupidity behind this.

Only the AFL.

Someone asked if the goal umpire can call it as we see them indicate this type of thing with shots on goal - but even they can't actually call the ball out of bounds & can only indicate to the boundary umpire what they saw

But with 4 boundary umpires, 2 on each side of the field, one has to ask how does the boundary umpire get caught this far out of position

1710662414804.png

Someone asked if the goal umpire can call it as we see them indicate this type of thing with shots on goal - but even they can't actually call the ball out of bounds & can only indicate to the boundary umpire what they saw

But with 4 boundary umpires, 2 on each side of the field, one has to ask how does the boundary umpire get caught this far out of position

View attachment 1930931

Good question indeed.

The AFL's umpires are allegedly the best in the land, and it just beggars belief that a group of them (field) are banned from interpreting one of the easiest rules to adjudicate in the game.

And Freo up! Is it finally wharfy time?
Brisbane are looking dire.

They scratched a few away wins last year from the opposition not turning up. Freo, after the slow start, have switched on.

Lions staring down the barrel of 0-2 unless they lift several gears in the second half.

Maybe Collingwood/Brisbane this season will have the Geelong/Sydney type seasons in 2023 after the 2022 grand final. Similarly poor starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back