Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just wrong. They had a very well trained defensive zone that was excellent at causing turnovers. Teams have now worked it out. I am sure a bit of natural decline from a few players doesn’t help either, but this idea collingwood just won because McRae said “boys go out and pressure” is just so wrong and off the mark.

Good defensive zones and tactics allow you to pressure. When teams work you out, you can try to lresssure all you like, you will get rings run around you if your defensive strategies are off.
Of course they have a solid game plan but that’s not the entire story, their tactics required total buy in and the team playing relentless footy and even with that they won 17 of 19 games by under 10 points, which is nuts and they should be commended but it does tell you that they were never a dominant team.

Find it interesting that we were called 'old and finished' after Round 3 last year, but no-one is applying that tag to Collingwood.

Mason Cox 33
Jamie Elliot 31
Jeremy Howe 33
Will Hoskin-Elliot 30
Scott Pendlebury 36
Tom Mitchell 30
Steele Sidebottom 33
Brodie Mihocek 31

Fair chunk of their Best 22 who are over 30.

Cox isn't in their best team. He's absolute rubbish.

Find it interesting that we were called 'old and finished' after Round 3 last year, but no-one is applying that tag to Collingwood.

Mason Cox 33
Jamie Elliot 31
Jeremy Howe 33
Will Hoskin-Elliot 30
Scott Pendlebury 36
Tom Mitchell 30
Steele Sidebottom 33
Brodie Mihocek 31

Collingwood have this really weird list structure where they don't have as many out-and-out "old blokes on their last legs", but also not much youth coming through either.

They're the oldest team because a massive chunk of their list is between 24 and 33. Daicos and (I guess) McCreery apart, they don't have much coming through at all under 24.

He actually is because their other 2nd rucks are no good (eg begg and steene isnt ready and frampton is a lamp post) or permanently injured (eg kreuger). Their depth in talls is actually really poor. But hes cooked and they dont have an obvious fill in.

And yet he played in their Premiership, most games from Round 8 onwards last year, and both games this year?

You might not like him, but he is in their Best 23. Your opinion of him does not change these facts.

Last edited:
I agree he is rubbish. But if they go into a game with Cameron as their only ruckman they have no chance. Cameron rucking on his own is worse than rubbish.

The position really is their biggest weakness, which makes it even more hilarious that they are paying Grundy to play for someone else.

Mason Cox 33
Jamie Elliot 31
Jeremy Howe 33
Will Hoskin-Elliot 30
Scott Pendlebury 36
Tom Mitchell 30
Steele Sidebottom 33
Brodie Mihocek 31

You have to pump them up first. The crash is more destructive when taken from greater height

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They definitely eat their own over there. Had to delete his own socials

Also, this was the guy they dropped Henry for

I'll give this guy some credit, he's been a good sport when being reminded of the following after last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back