Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're live on my outrageous claim

They should have learnt from the last time they traded a future 1st. They could use callaghan right now.

Collingwood have overestimated their list and they won a flag on good coaching and poor opposition last year. They were always a below average premiership team who only succeeded because the standard of the comp is poor and we are seeing that now.

They should have learnt from the last time they traded a future 1st. They could use callaghan right now.

Collingwood have overestimated their list and they won a flag on good coaching and poor opposition last year. They were always a below average premiership team who only succeeded because the standard of the comp is poor and we are seeing that now.
We literally knew better and demonstrated to them in a trade with them and they still ignored the lesson

Pies trade history with Rd 1s if I'm not mistaken

2014: JDG + Darcy Moore F/S bid match
2015: traded for Adam Treloar
2016: traded for Adam Treloar
2017: selected Jadyn Stephenson
2018: traded for Dayne Beams
2019: traded for Dayne Beams
2020: Finlay Macrae + Ollie Henry (Treloar trade) + Reef McInnes F/S bid match
2021: traded for 2020 2nd rounders + Nick Daicos F/S bid match
2022: Edward Allen
2023: Harry DeMattia

So discounting the F/S bids they were expending any brain power on they have added, in the last 10 years of first round picks, Jordan De Goey, Finlay Macrae, Edward Allen, and Harry De Mattia.

I'm pretty sure the 2020 2nds they got back from missing Finn Callaghan were Caleb Poulter and Beau Mcreary. I like Mcreary, but jeez Callaghan.

They've had a big advantage getting Daicos and Moore via father son and Quaynor as academy. Pretty bloody dire outside of that as far as drafting goes. Goes to show though that if you have a handful of elite players to build around you can top up and win a flag these days.

Pies trade history with Rd 1s if I'm not mistaken

2014: JDG + Darcy Moore F/S bid match
2015: traded for Adam Treloar
2016: traded for Adam Treloar
2017: selected Jadyn Stephenson
2018: traded for Dayne Beams
2019: traded for Dayne Beams
2020: Finlay Macrae + Ollie Henry (Treloar trade) + Reef McInnes F/S bid match
2021: traded for 2020 2nd rounders + Nick Daicos F/S bid match
2022: Edward Allen
2023: Harry DeMattia

So discounting the F/S bids they were expending any brain power on they have added, in the last 10 years of first round picks, Jordan De Goey, Finlay Macrae, Edward Allen, and Harry De Mattia.

I'm pretty sure the 2020 2nds they got back from missing Finn Callaghan were Caleb Poulter and Beau Mcreary. I like Mcreary, but jeez Callaghan.

And they've traded away this year's first for Schultz.

If the Pies lose to Brisbane next week and are 0-4, it just means their top 4 aspirations are over at this point. They could still make the Top 8 if they get their shit together and stop playing like they think their superstars and actually put the hard work in. You can't compare them to us last year, as our guys tried hard, but with the injuries we had to key players, the side couldn't get any continuity in their game. The Pies don't have this excuse because while they do have a few injuries, they have more than enough talent to cover them. The Pies need to stop smelling their own farts and play the game properly.

If the Pies lose to Brisbane next week and are 0-4, it just means their top 4 aspirations are over at this point. They could still make the Top 8 if they get their s**t together and stop playing like they think their superstars and actually put the hard work in. You can't compare them to us last year, as our guys tried hard, but with the injuries we had to key players, the side couldn't get any continuity in their game. The Pies don't have this excuse because while they do have a few injuries, they have more than enough talent to cover them. The Pies need to stop smelling their own farts and play the game properly.
I think it’s more of a combination of a much shorter pre season , their older players falling over the cliff and their gameplan remaining the same and has been worked out.

Couldn’t happen to more self entitled bunch and I can only hope it continues , being thrashed at their flag unveiling is just the cherry on top so far watching the implosion…0-4 would be glourious

I am personally a huge fan of this strategy from Collingwood.

2020 the let go of their F1st that ends up being I think pick 3 Finn Callaghan for Caleb Poulter (who looks OK now he's been delisted and picked up by the dogs) and I don't even know who else.

2022 hello Lachie Shultz, goodbye pick currently sitting at 4.

Let's see if they can parley that onto a new coach, premiership, and another 50 games of Pendlebury basketball comments

Couldn't help but love the commentators drooling over Pendlebury and mentioning basketball for the 5,000,000,000th time, after which he proceeded to be totally shitehouse again. Only player worse was Sidebottom who is even more shot to pieces (if that's possible).

Remarkable how gutless they are.

Couldn’t happen to more self entitled bunch and I can only hope it continues , being thrashed at their flag unveiling is just the cherry on top so far watching the implosion…0-4 would be glourious

Also was a St Kilda home game on the Pies home deck.

It must be nice to be gifted away games at home because you are a big club.

Couldn't help but love the commentators drooling over Pendlebury and mentioning basketball for the 5,000,000,000th time, after which he proceeded to be totally shitehouse again. Only player worse was Sidebottom who is even more shot to pieces (if that's possible).

Remarkable how gutless they are.
You have to be joking. Pendles is routinely having a few dicey moments a match now but is still contributing much more than De Goey so far in 2024. Who is in his prime and an absolute passenger of the highest order. Mitchell was also horrible and somehow has his goose even more cooked than Pendlebury.

And Sidebottom isn't just playing a bit worse than Pendlebury. He is well, well below him on output. Crisp is about the same level and younger.

Many issues at the Pies and that was always going to be the case when older players declined without upcoming youngsters to step up.

I think it’s more of a combination of a much shorter pre season
I don't buy this excuse. GWS's and Carlton's preseasons were only a week longer and look at them. I think the shorter preseason only bites those who require surgery after the PF/GF, and their recovery time really decreases their preseason, like Tom Hawkins last year with his foot. But for all the other guys, it's a crock. They are professional athletes and should know how to stay fit.

Re: Pendlebury, IMO, he should have retired after the GF last year. But he wanted to get to 400 games, so he stayed. He still offers something but so far this year he is definitely showing signs of being passed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Pies lose to Brisbane next week and are 0-4, it just means their top 4 aspirations are over at this point. They could still make the Top 8 if they get their s**t together and stop playing like they think their superstars and actually put the hard work in. You can't compare them to us last year, as our guys tried hard, but with the injuries we had to key players, the side couldn't get any continuity in their game. The Pies don't have this excuse because while they do have a few injuries, they have more than enough talent to cover them. The Pies need to stop smelling their own farts and play the game properly.

To hit 16-7 from a 0-4 start means they can only afford 3 losses for the rest of the season.

They have 2 MCG games against Carlton, an SCG game against Swans, 2 games against Melbourne. Plus a rematch with the Lions at home, Gold Coast away, dogs at Marvel, Freo at Optus.

Even with some form returning they lose probably 4 of those minimum. Without a substantial shift in performance they're in danger of chalking up the 8 more losses it would take from there to put them on 11 wins for the season and outside the 8.

Heard this morning that the Pies are 5-6 from their last 11 games if you factor in the back end of last season. Now I know they won the flag but they fell over the line in all 3 games, I think this has been coming.

Pies are cooked, may make finals, top 4 certainly is gone, a rebuild is on the horizon, and they don’t have a first rounder 😂😂

I think the Pies are pretty similiar to us last year really.

Shorter pre season combined with hard fixture to start the year, older team, perhaps over celebrated, perhaps lost small % hunger, gone from the hunter to hunted tactics wise, injuries.

McStay is not a super star but would have him at a similiar level of importance structurally speaking to Jack Henry for us.

It is still possible for the Pies to turn it around and make finals.

Our issues was it just kept snowballing all season with the injuries.

They would need Mason Cox to KO Nick Daicos and crack his shoulder etc etc to keep happening to match us.

I think the Pies are pretty similiar to us last year really.

Shorter pre season combined with hard fixture to start the year, older team, perhaps over celebrated, perhaps lost small % hunger, gone from the hunter to hunted tactics wise, injuries.

McStay is not a super star but would have him at a similiar level of importance structurally speaking to Jack Henry for us.

It is still possible for the Pies to turn it around and make finals.

Our issues was it just kept snowballing all season with the injuries.

They would need Mason Cox to KO Nick Daicos and crack his shoulder etc etc to keep happening to match us.
Spot on - climbed Mt Everest to win a Premiership - there has to be a drop off

In Collingwoods case , they had so many mentally draining games , and they basically won all of of them , the GWS final they looked gone for all money , but gutsed it right out and won by a point

The name of the game is winning Premierships , not letting opportunities slip through the net , and you can bag them as much as you like , but the Magpies are the reigning Premiers

One thing which i dont think has helped Collingwood at all , is this new bizarre stupid novelty start to the season , rather than the normal set up . Its only 3 games in so they will need to turn things around pretty quickly if they want to be a chance this year , but if not they have still got the 23 Premiership Cup , which alot of other clubs would like to have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back