Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy now, I hate it when Culture gets trotted out as soon as Swans start winning. What happened to culture last year, did it take a holiday when Elijah Taylor broke COVID protocol and bashed his GF in the hotel room ? So annoying when wins get rolled up with club culture and all the rose color glasses view of the world.

And the other old chestnut

The "genius" coach syndrome ala Clarko.

If the Hawks pull a surprise win, it's another demonstration of the great man's tactical brilliance.

If they have a shocker, they have let him down and he won't be happy

will ANY defender look good this year? seems its the year of the big forwards.

or at least that's my highly reactionary round 3 preemptive call ;)

Jake Stringer is the least likely player not to have a full sleeve tat.

Kudos to Longmire who obviously put a lot of work in on the pre season with adapting to the new rules and unleashing some very good younger players who no one knew about and giving them clearly defined roles that the other teams aren't on to yet.
There’s been quite a few media stories crediting Don Pyke with the Swans new style of play, after he joined them in the offseason.

Tigers fans saying exactly what we were saying. "Worst game in 3 years, looks like we weren't even trying."

Maybe Sydney are actually that good. Took apart our game plan and Richmond's. Turns out Richmond's pressure gamestyle doesn't work if you don't turn it over.

We need to find our Tom Hickey as well. Hopefully we're putting the feelers out to a journeymen ruck at one of the other 17 teams.
Lot of comments on here (in multiple threads) about looking for a Tom Hickey type.

So we’re looking to replace Oscar?

Lot of comments on here (in multiple threads) about looking for a Tom Hickey type.

So we’re looking to replace Oscar?

I think it's a good idea to have a solid backup ruck. If that backup ruck ends up outcompeting Oscar for a spot that's great.

Upon reflection, going into the season with Oscar and 3 guys not up to it yet wasn't the best move.

I think it's a good idea to have a solid backup ruck. If that backup ruck ends up outcompeting Oscar for a spot that's great.

Upon reflection, going into the season with Oscar and 3 guys not up to it yet wasn't the best move.
I agree.

Also, I’ve never been keen on the idea of Oscar as our number 1 ruck.

I know a lot of the old-school "try to kill your opponent" types probably don't like it, but I just watched some of the highlights of the Tigers/Swans game and I LOVE this new trend of players checking up on their opponent/staying with their opponent when they've accidentally hit them high/they've gotten injured. Charlie did it on Thursday and it happened again today. It's a great improvement on instantly jumping up and starting to swing at anyone close by.
Also a great way to get whatever sympathy you can at the tribunal ;)

I take it as the players being very aware of the whole concussion emphasis. They are the ones that could wind up vegetables/suicidal.

I think our hands were tied. In retrospect it seems like poor management giving Archie the two years though obviously we couldn't have anticipated the list and cap shrink that put us in a position where we couldn't re-sign Stef. I dare say if both Archie and Stef had been coming out of contract Stef would still be with us and Archie would have been de-listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams like St Kilda came into 2021 thinking their 2020 gameplay would stack up. The fact is, it doesn't. Hopefully Fagan and Co are doing the same behind the scenes, because we won't win a flag playing the way we did last year - no team will. Geelong is one team that will struggle this year considering how tall and slow their team is. Dimma even mentioned it in post match presser that they will even have to change things, because the way Sydney played today. Fast, aggressive and high scoring. That is the future of football.

I think our hands were tied. In retrospect it seems like poor management giving Archie the two years though obviously we couldn't have anticipated the list and cap shrink that put us in a position where we couldn't re-sign Stef. I dare say if both Archie and Stef had been coming out of contract Stef would still be with us and Archie would have been de-listed.

Yeah definitely agree

Who knows with Archie as well. Maybe a run in the VFL will help him to improve his game. Still youngish.

I'd still be keen on an extra ruck but it's not the huge area of need either. Still think we need another A grade midfielder.

Yeah definitely agree

Who knows with Archie as well. Maybe a run in the VFL will help him to improve his game. Still youngish.

I'd still be keen on an extra ruck but it's not the huge area of need either. Still think we need another A grade midfielder.

If Rayner, Bailey, Berry, Dev or Smith could become that would be great.

I know a lot of the old-school "try to kill your opponent" types probably don't like it, but I just watched some of the highlights of the Tigers/Swans game and I LOVE this new trend of players checking up on their opponent/staying with their opponent when they've accidentally hit them high/they've gotten injured. Charlie did it on Thursday and it happened again today. It's a great improvement on instantly jumping up and starting to swing at anyone close by.

And then ****ing Port Adelaide...sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back