North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The priority pick system is fundamentally broken. Draft compensation is a long-term fix to a short-term problem.

Teams eligible for priority picks are historically non-competitive and bad for every aspect of the game - fans, ratings, memberships, fairness of the competition in a 22 round 18 team format etc.

The AFL's focus should be on creating a system that gets hese clubs to a position of competitiveness ASAP. Currently we give them access to an extra kid that most likely won't help them win for years.

I'm supportive of priority picks, with a huge caveat that they must be exchanged for mature players from other teams.

In North's case, we just have to hope they would exchange it for someone a little better than Jared Polec.

The priority pick system is fundamentally broken. Draft compensation is a long-term fix to a short-term problem.

Teams eligible for priority picks are historically non-competitive and bad for every aspect of the game - fans, ratings, memberships, fairness of the competition in a 22 round 18 team format etc.

The AFL's focus should be on creating a system that gets hese clubs to a position of competitiveness ASAP. Currently we give them access to an extra kid that most likely won't help them win for years.

I'm supportive of priority picks, with a huge caveat that they must be exchanged for mature players from other teams.

In North's case, we just have to hope they trade it for someone a little better than Jared Polec.
Madgen

doing what the AFL did for us and Carlton a few years back seems like it would be the best course of action to start.

2 - 3 Priority drafted state league players and an end of first round priority pick.
We did not get an end of first round priority pick.

All we got was access to two state league players before the draft to trade. We used Shane McAdam in three way trade with Crows and Swans as part of Mitch McGovern trade. Nathan Krueger was the other state league access player we traded to Cats for a pick in 40's or something.

Suns actual priority picks was part of Special Assistance Package and the league were at pains to explain it as not the old format priority pick because we were lower on ladder than them and it was about Suns first decade of club explained as needing a reset. It was a three year assistance package for Suns that should end this year. They had academy player assistance for Darwin area and extra rookie lists spots for these three seasons too.

As others have pointed out the state league access we got was before the mid-season rookie draft was a thing, so it probably has less trade currency now that it did at time, which was not much. It was basically like having two draft picks in late 40's to trade with for us.

I'd be ok with something equivalent to use for trades for North to be given or an actual priority pick in comparison to what Brisbane got in 2016 as long as the checks and balances warrant it being similar.

But I'd also be ok with league doing something to help them in soft cap area or some free agency assistance as opposed to state league player access. I think what North need most is a mature age influx of a couple of players next year and any help in free agency or trade concessions to facilitate that this player transfer period would be good move imo.

Teams eligible for priority picks are historically bad and worthy of relegation. Non-competitive football sides are bad for every aspect of the game - fans, ratings, memberships, and the fairness of the competition in a 22 round 18 team format.

The AFL's focus should be a system that focusses on getting these clubs to a position of competitiveness ASAP. Instead we give access to an extra kid that most likely won't help them win for years.

In North's case, we just have to hope they trade it for someone a little better than Jared Polec.
yep im sure this was also your stance when you received priority picks for andrew walker and marc murphy at the start of each draft

They deserve a mid or end of first round pick but arguably they should be made to trade it

There'll be plenty of ex-Vic boys not getting games with other clubs or that are maybe looking to come closer to home that they could easily package and trade for or pick up as delisted FA or RFA or FA

Rhys Mathieson and Ely Smith from the Lions
Alex Pearce from Freo (Tassie boy)
Tanner Bruhn and Xavier O'Halloran from GWS
Jackson Nelson and Jamaine Jones form West Coast
If the club trades a mid or first round pick for any of those players mentioned, then it’s the other team who benefits more as none of them are even worth a second rounder at best (not including Pearce who’s already signed)

Or they can suffer at the bottom for the decisions to trade/delist Ben Brown, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Higgins, Jasper Pittard, et al the last couple of years.

You shouldn't get extra picks just for knowingly making decisions that put you down the bottom. Just like the Crows did with Jenkins, Betts, Greenwood, Keath, Crouch, North have made their bed, now they have to lie in it.
Your logic makes no sense. the players you have mentioned for us were either at the end of their careers or aren’t performing well at their new clubs, the players mentioned for your mob mostly walked out of your club still performing to a good level

not even the Saints have had 4 coaches in 3 years.........

Did they have 4 coaches in 12 years because this is equally as real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doing what the AFL did for us and Carlton a few years back seems like it would be the best course of action to start.

2 - 3 Priority drafted state league players and an end of first round priority pick.

If there is still no improvement by end of 2023 with a new coach give them a top 10 priority pick the following year.
Similar to GC, I don't think draft picks are their problems. GC have had issues with development and retention, that's where the support should have come, not high picks. It just gave them a glut so they trade them for very little (enter Will Brodie, Jeremy Sharpe deals).

North have a heap of high picks and the great bones of a midfield - Thomas, JHF, Philips, Powell, Simpkin, LDU, Stephenson, Anderson, then add Larkey as a very decent KPF.

What they need is some more mature support around them, unfortunately Greenwood hasn't worked, Cunnington unfortunately hasn't played (I hope he's ok), Ziebell is being played forward after being so good down back last year and Hall has had big injury issues.

From the outside, it seems they weren't on board with the coach, players like Stephenson, Greenwood, Polec haven't played anywhere near their best.

Clearly they aren't a top 8 team, but get the house in order first in the footy department with a new recruiting team, coaching staff, etc before you hand out draft picks and penalise other teams.

Similar to GC, I don't think draft picks are their problems. GC have had issues with development and retention, that's where the support should have come, not high picks. It just gave them a glut so they trade them for very little (enter Will Brodie, Jeremy Sharpe deals).

North have a heap of high picks and the great bones of a midfield - Thomas, JHF, Philips, Powell, Simpkin, LDU, Stephenson, Anderson, then add Larkey as a very decent KPF.

What they need is some more mature support around them, unfortunately Greenwood hasn't worked, Cunnington unfortunately hasn't played (I hope he's ok), Ziebell is being played forward after being so good down back last year and Hall has had big injury issues.

From the outside, it seems they weren't on board with the coach, players like Stephenson, Greenwood, Polec haven't played anywhere near their best.

Clearly they aren't a top 8 team, but get the house in order first in the footy department with a new recruiting team, coaching staff, etc before you hand out draft picks and penalise other teams.
Wish they did the same for all the other start of round 1 pp handed out but they didn’t and shouldn’t now

The results speak for themselves

I think they’ll most likely get a pick at the end of the first round. But I hope they don’t. Traded away a lot of their better players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it's easy to say if they get a priority pick, it needs to be traded. In reality what are they going to get for a pick 19 say? Like someone said before, until players can be traded against their will it will be so hard to coerce someone to come and spend 2-3 years at the bottom of the ladder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back