Umpiring North v Pies R14 - Should have been 50m ?

Should a 50 have been paid to North in the last minute?

• Yes it was a clear 50

Votes: 204 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was clearly touched. That 1 incorrect decision got you 12 points.
That's not an "umpiring decision" that was a minor moment in the flow of the game, there are hundreds of touched balls, is it / isn't it 15m kicks, is it / isn't it out of bounds etc that happen throughout the game. The only way you could even see if the ball was touched was a grainy shot from down the ground. If you call that an incorrect decision, well that's football. You could say the same about every time a contested mark is taken and there are a handful of hands on the ball at once. The umpires aren't omniscient, they can't see what they can't see - the difference here is there was a clear 50m to be paid and the umpire froze.

That's not an "umpiring decision" that was a minor moment in the flow of the game, there are hundreds of touched balls, is it / isn't it 15m kicks, is it / isn't it out of bounds etc that happen throughout the game. The only way you could even see if the ball was touched was a grainy shot from down the ground. If you call that an incorrect decision, well that's football. You could say the same about every time a contested mark is taken and there are a handful of hands on the ball at once. The umpires aren't omniscient, they can't see what they can't see - the difference here is there was a clear 50m to be paid and the umpire froze.
The umpire awarded a mark incorrectly.

The AFL has conceded that Carlton was awarded a crucial mark in Saturday's win over Fremantle despite the ball being touched off the boot.

Agree. But the ump doesn't blow the whistle until very late. There was no chance they could have not gone over the mark playing the whistle.
Please. He blew the whistle twice.
This was the worst non decision of the season and he should be suspended for it along with the quanor missed throw and daicos htb.

The umpiring this season is unprofessional and this game bordered on match fixing.
If they don't come out and suspend the umpires responsible there will be ramifications.

Please. He blew the whistle twice.
This was the worst non decision of the season and he should be suspended for it along with the quanor missed throw and daicos htb.

The umpiring this season is unprofessional and this game bordered on match fixing.
If they don't come out and suspend the umpires responsible there will be ramifications.
Second paragraph is crazy, which tells me you probably didn't put much thought into your 1st paragraph.

It should have been a 50 and there were many decisions and non decisions that could/should have been payed throughout the match like in every match. But if you watch the footage again maybe.... just maybe you will see my point. Im not arguing it shouldnt be a 50. Im agruing that a late whistle, along with a bloke 10 metres behind his mark made it hard for the pies players to respond. Doubt you will look for it though.

Second paragraph is crazy, which tells me you probably didn't put much thought into your 1st paragraph.

It should have been a 50 and there were many decisions and non decisions that could/should have been payed throughout the match like in every match. But if you watch the footage again maybe.... just maybe you will see my point. Im not arguing it shouldnt be a 50. Im agruing that a late whistle, along with a bloke 10 metres behind his mark made it hard for the pies players to respond. Doubt you will look for it though.
If you go back through pretty much every post made after the game you will find that 99% of people saying its not a 50 are Collingwood supporters, so your point, like theirs, is biased.
That every man and their dog apart from Collingwood supporters see it as a clear 50 suggests its infact a 50.
Doubt you'd realise that though.

If you go back through pretty much every post made after the game you will find that 99% of people saying its not a 50 are Collingwood supporters, so your point, like theirs, is biased.
That every man and their dog apart from Collingwood supporters see it as a clear 50 suggests its infact a 50.
There have been collingwood posters as well who have acknowledged that it was an umpiring error. Old mate is just backing a donkey in a horse race.

But it wasn't a late whistle.
There were 2 whistles...I'm assuming you missed the first one.

But it wasn't a late whistle.
There were 2 whistles...I'm assuming you missed the first one.
2 late whistles in a very small space of time. There was no time to respond between them. It was no different from a biomechanical sense to 1 whistle blowing. Whistle 2 would have been about 0.25 seconds after whistle 1.

???

I said it was a 50.
But I doubt you'd realise that though.

2 late whistles in a very small space of time. There was no time to respond between them. It was no different from a biomechanical sense to 1 whistle blowing. Whistle 2 would have been about 0.25 seconds after whistle 1.
Desperation comments lol.

99 percent of the footy world acknowledge it was a 50.
The 2 players knew it was a 50.
The North player expected a 50 pointing to the goals.
He decided to play on realising he wasn't going to get the 50...

You're pretty much the only one who thinks otherwise.

Everyone is missing that touched goal awarded to the pies too, I mean its just stupid, we hear every goal is reviewed obviously not.

It was 10 to 10 free kicks in the first half when we were smashing them.

12 free kicks to 2 in the last half.

Umpires also missed Quaynor pushing Zurhaar into Ford as well. Thats a free kick every day of the week too.

I can deal with the odd one being missed, but seriously in 10 mins in the last quarter there were so many obvious ones missed our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Desperation comments lol.

99 percent of the footy world acknowledge it was a 50.
The 2 players knew it was a 50.
The North player expected a 50 pointing to the goals.
He decided to play on realising he wasn't going to get the 50...

You're pretty much the only one who thinks otherwise.
???

Again. So many who either couldn't be stuffed or who can't read.

I think it was a 50...... technically
I have acknowledged this
It should have been payed

But if the ump had blown the whistle when he marked it or very soon after. Both of those Collingwood players probably wouldn't have even infringed over the mark which was taken about 10 metres from where he ended up. This place has bay like IQ. I'm out.

Anyone crying about umpiring from yesterday needs to have a hard look at themselves.

North should never of lost that with a 9 goal lead in the 3rd.

People don’t like the facts, the facts are Collingwood were first to the ball for the 2nd half of that game especially the last because we were trying to WIN. North were trying to HOLD ON. First to the ball and head over the footy generally relates to a couple more free kicks.

As for the 50? Yeah probably should of been paid, but Wardlaw did exact same thing earlier in the game, so not sure you can make a song and dance about it, and you don’t hear too many pies fans whinging about Xerri falling over the fence on his own and being awarded a free in which he slotted the goal.

Unlucky for Nth, because I truly want them to become successful again, they were an awesome footy side in the 90s and they have a lot of good talent coming through, I just hope they hold on to them all.

As for the umpiring , yeah Pies were first to the footy for basically whole 2nd half so naturally will get a few more frees.

I don’t like people blaming umpires and taking the shine away from what was an amazing comeback and an amazing game.

Anyone crying about umpiring from yesterday needs to have a hard look at themselves.

North should never of lost that with a 9 goal lead in the 3rd.

People don’t like the facts, the facts are Collingwood were first to the ball for the 2nd half of that game especially the last because we were trying to WIN. North were trying to HOLD ON. First to the ball and head over the footy generally relates to a couple more free kicks.

As for the 50? Yeah probably should of been paid, but Wardlaw did exact same thing earlier in the game, so not sure you can make a song and dance about it, and you don’t hear too many pies fans whinging about Xerri falling over the fence on his own and being awarded a free in which he slotted the goal.

Unlucky for Nth, because I truly want them to become successful again, they were an awesome footy side in the 90s and they have a lot of good talent coming through, I just hope they hold on to them all.

As for the umpiring , yeah Pies were first to the footy for basically whole 2nd half so naturally will get a few more frees.

I don’t like people blaming umpires and taking the shine away from what was an amazing comeback and an amazing game.

We were 9 goals down but the frees were even. Logic is flawed.

I'm not sure why the Pies players didn't think it was a mark? Came clean off a foot, travelled plenty far enough?

They decided they would umpire the game and charge over where the mark was taken. Rarely does that not get penalised these days, late whistle or not. Even if they thought he'd played on, don't take that decision yourselves, let the ump call play on. Every junior learns this.

So were North first to the footy to get themselves 9 goals up? Why didn't they have an advantage in free kicks - at any time?

???

I said it was a 50.
But I doubt you'd realise that though.
You said its a 50 but...

Then went on to make excuses for why your players didnt respond.
Its a 50 because your players went 5 meters over the mark, a clear mark.
A 300 gamer knows how the game works, all they wanted to do was hold up play which is a well known Collingwood tactic and why you were pinged for a rarely used rule beach a few weeks ago.

Rather than admit your teams time wasting tactics you try to justify them.

Looking at the replay I can see why the umpire might not have paid the 50. Ball was kicked off the ground and only goes just about the minimum length of a kick for a mark. So the umpire might have thought the players thought it was less than 15. A bit similar to the one paid against Essendon against Carlton last week. The Essendon player's kick went straight at the Essendon player on the mark weather he was aiming for his teammate or not, the umpire could of thought he was kicking to the wrong player. Doesn't change that they were both wrong calls but it's not just an out and out match fixing conspiracy.

Common sense rules apply. The Collingwood player believed it wasn't 15 and wouldn't have heard the whistle due to the crowd noise. Play on.

Nick Daicos should have been done for holding the ball though.
What the player believes is irrelevant.

After half time

Collingwood - 14 free kicks + 50m pen
North - 2 free kicks

Plus non touched goal decision against us
1pt loss

I wish Collingwood nothing but consecutive floggings for the rest of the season.
Yes, the umpires definitely lifted for Collingwood after half-time.

It's really funny watching the attitude of many Collingwood supporters regarding North blowing a lead and the blatant non-decision in the final minute.

Collingwood supporters spent years, if not decades, whinging about how an umpire's decision late in the 1979 Grand Final cost them the game, overlooking the fact that they were nearly 5 goals up approaching half-time on an MCG bog.

A convenient about-face. :)

Last edited:
If mental gymnastics were an Olympic event, we'd be sending Pies supporters to Paris. Good Lord there are some terrible justifications in here lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring North v Pies R14 - Should have been 50m ?

Back