Number of games per oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

steve-o

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2006
Tennessee
AFL Club
GWS
I'll probably need only one answer from Victorians, but I'd like to get answers of the following three questions:

1. What is your local AFL-level oval?
2. How many AFL games are played there on a given weekend? How many lower-league (WAFL, SANFL, VFL) games are played there?
3. How many "home" games does your team get in a home-and-away season? If your team is interstate, how often do they play in Victoria?

My intent is to see how feasible it is for the AFL to establish a 14-home, 8-away season once it jumps to 18 teams.

I'll probably need only one answer from Victorians, but I'd like to get answers of the following three questions:

2. How many AFL games are played there on a given weekend? How many lower-league (WAFL, SANFL, VFL) games are played there?
3. How many "home" games does your team get in a home-and-away season? If your team is interstate, how often do they play in Victoria?

My intent is to see how feasible it is for the AFL to establish a 14-home, 8-away season once it jumps to 18 teams.
Umm so you want 12 home games, 2 neutrals and only 8 away?

And you think this is fair?

And don't come back with the predictable. 5 home, 13 neutral and 4 away is nowhere near as advantageous.

I have a headache:eek:

Lenny: nice :) I laffed.

No, the idea is that the Victorian clubs end up with more "home" games because they are playing each other quite a bit. I'm actually not suggesting any neutral site games at all (what's the point when you finally tap the markets that you are aiming for?)

It just doesn't seem fair that the 10 victorian teams need to travel approximately zero miles for many of their away games when those outside of Melbourne get one local derby and then have to leave town for the rest.

It would also be nice for transplanted Victorians to be able to guarantee themselves a chance to see the team they support at least once a year - every Vic team goes to every stadium at least once a season.

Lenny: nice :) I laffed.

No, the idea is that the Victorian clubs end up with more "home" games because they are playing each other quite a bit. I'm actually not suggesting any neutral site games at all (what's the point when you finally tap the markets that you are aiming for?)

It just doesn't seem fair that the 10 victorian teams need to travel approximately zero miles for many of their away games when those outside of Melbourne get one local derby and then have to leave town for the rest.

It would also be nice for transplanted Victorians to be able to guarantee themselves a chance to see the team they support at least once a year - every Vic team goes to every stadium at least once a season.
lol so Collingwood v Melbourne at the G is now a Collingwood home game? And not neutral? Good work, Einstein.

Advantage and disadvantage from the draw is not 100% based on travel like your model seems to suggest.

I will try and help you out for the WA teams from what I know.

For Freo and WC:
1) Subiaco
2) 1 only plus at least 1 lower level/Rugby WAFL/Reserves.
3) Always 11 home, 11 away. Of the 'away' games the split would be on average: 1 at Subiaco (Derby), 1 Sydney, 1 Brisbane, 1 Adelaide (sometimes might be 2 adelaide but then not in Sydney for example), 1 somewhere else (York Park, Carrara, Manuka, Darwin) leaving 6 in Victoria. Of the 6 in Victoria, one of these is 90% of the time at Geelong (small capacity ground means AFL forces all non Victorian teams to have to play there).

It would be a significant break from the status quo.

But I'll play along, for Victoria.

Three, as it stands. The MCG, the Dome, and Geelong

It differs, mathematically speaking, it would work out to just under 5 games a round over the course of a season (10 Victorian teams, 5 play at home each week and 5 play away, take away home games interstate)

Geelong's VFL games in Geelong, but only a few extra games of something else a season (Socceroos, NRL State of Origin, Melbourne Victory Champions League games, Rugby Union games, Concerts, and so on)

17-18 a year

Remove this Banner Ad

Number of games per oval?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back