Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet and Sour - i even had the cassette tape

OIP.3BASzFy7y6kXw4jvWwNTeAHaOG

A case of a very famous name starting in a very obscure TV show. The 1988 kids' show 'Sugar and Spice' was about two rival girls - one a tomboy named Molly and the other a girly-girl named Pixie - being sent to boarding school in Melbourne in the early 1920s, with their small country town having no high school. The two girls have to put aside their differences and learn to get along.

The young unknown who got the role of Molly was a girl named Michelle Kearley - she had a couple of other small acting roles in other TV shows in addition to this one, but none after 1991 and she has since vanished into obscurity.

The other child actress who landed the role of Pixie was just as unknown as her co-star in 1988, but she would go on to a very long and successful career both in Australia and overseas. Who is she? Her name is Radha Mitchell, then acting under the name Radha Rani-Mitchell.

Last edited:
Phoenix Five

Wow, this one was way before my time, I have never seen it (and until I read this post) heard of it before.

Sometimes shows age badly, and other times they were really bad when they first screened, and the latter is the case for a short-lived Australian sitcom from 1992 called 'Late For School'

Does anyone else remember this show? It had quite a high-profile cast. In the lead role was Sarah Chadwick (from GP) who plays a mid-30s single mother who having never completed high school due to becoming pregnant in her mid-teens returns to the same high school her teenage son and daughter attend to complete her VCE. The daughter was played by Melissa Thomas, who had quite a lot of acting roles in various shows in the 1990s and early 2000s but nothing credited after 2006, while the son was played by a young Matthew Newton.

Experienced actors Frankie J Holden and the late Ross Higgins and Anne Phelan had major roles in the show, there was pre-fame actors Stephen Curry and Scott Major as well as Anthony Engelman, who the next year would go on to star as one of Neighbours more iconic 1990s characters - Stonefish - the predecessor to Toadfish.

It had some pretty good talent behind the scenes too, but this show was really, really bad and lasted just 6 months.

I think i must of missed that one
We only had 2 channels back in the day when we wus watching kids
shows the one i remember watching intently was "Vision On"
there was also a teen pop show with mike mead and ray burguss and
alexander bunyips afternoons They'd be the obscure ones
competeing with monkey and doctor who

There was also a live action pantomime show out of brisbane ( i think)
had two guys dressed up as flies .."Tip and Top" late 80s
What it was i can't remember

yeah no Star Trek in our neck of the woods only Phoenix Five and Quark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are there any kids game shows at all these days? who remembers Vidiot and Big Square Eye on ABC?
I remember those and I remember my brother getting absolutely flogged on a show called Double Dare. A highlight of my childhood. The kid on the other team was making fun of him, getting more points by saying Dare, then when my brother couldn't answer, this kid did answer, he knew the answer all along, he was just tripling his points.

It was glorious.

I remember those and I remember my brother getting absolutely flogged on a show called Double Dare. A highlight of my childhood. The kid on the other team was making fun of him, getting more points by saying Dare, then when my brother couldn't answer, this kid did answer, he knew the answer all along, he was just tripling his points.

It was glorious.
lol as in it didn't go the usual "Dare, Double Dare, Physical Challenge!"; but "Dare, Double Dare. Yeah I know the answer you dumb shit!"

Don't think I ever saw that happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back