Entertainment & Music Ocha's Hottest 100 Song Contest songs

Remove this Banner Ad

5 and a very special 4
This is it! The final 5! Sorry to the 100's of snubs that haven't made the subjective list. Enough preamble. Here are the moral podiums.

5. Enter Shakiri – “Sorry You’re Not a Winner” hotchilli

I was chatting with some metalheads recently about how they'd introduce the genre to newbies/non-fans and we conceded that it was virtually pointless if they didn't have an interest. That said, if there was ever a song to convert the nonbelievers, this would be it. This plays more like a dance track with rave and trance aspects enmeshed. There's some unique screaming too.

4. ARTIST CANCELLED

Season 2 Famalam GIF by BBC Three

This is now reserved for that special song of yours I've snubbed :) Let me know what it is. You could introduce it by saying...

Oh I don't know...

....How about "Hey Ocha, Imma let you finish, but 'Insert your nom here' is one of the greatest songs of all time!"

Last edited:
The podium!
The podiums are pretty obvious if you've followed my comments in the SC thread over the last year.

Two songs are on my 30 song "Hall of Fame" playlist that are my absolute favourite tracks from my non-top 5 artists. The winner is a discovered song that I have added to said playlist.

3. The Waifs - “London Still” SM

3rd place goes to the winner of round 832's Billy and is the second Billy-winner on this list with Shania Twain. This is a sentimental folk ballad that always manages to send me into both a state of deep content and longing. Especially now that I'm living away from family and friends. Like all songs in my HoF playlist I can listen to this anytime, in any situation.

2. Robyn – “Dancing on my Own” TubbsFarquhar

I was introduced to this song via the funniest and most touching moment of the tv show "Girls". Here the main character finds out her boyfriend is gay, vainly tries to write a tweet about it to her 26 followers before dancing her troubles away with her housemate. The show and song are both hopelessly melodramatic but I always feel something listening to it. It stands as a personal reminder that without feelings, no matter how vain and silly they might be, my outlook loses plenty of colour.

And last but definitely not the least -

1. The Rattling Kind – “All Around the Town” ArdentEagle

I was floored by this. So much so I looked it up on Tidal (the 6 min album version is even better) and played it on loop for like an hour as I used to play favourite songs as a kid. Oh my gosh the voice, which sounds like breaking from seeing too much, is an captivating appeal to help his community. The folky/celtic instrumentation ties it together so well (shout out to the banjo). With just 1.7 million plays on Spotify and coming out in 2013 I was likely never going to find this gem without it being nommed. And that's why I love the song contest so much.

There's been 100's of other examples of this, many of which have featured on this list as well.

Hopefully this doesn't become a whine-fest about my short-sightedness/bad taste and rather a celebration of the Song Contest and its remarkable, eclectic contestants.

The worst thing about doing this list, other than the fear of negative feedback, was seeing so many past contestants that feature who have left. On the bright-side it makes me appreciate those that have stuck around even more. It's also exciting to see new faces such as Lunchlady Doris and Callums_Guns who I'm sure will feature on any future, hypothetical list.

Alright that's way too much rambling from me. Peace out.

Thanks Ocha905 , it was enjoyable reading
I won't even try to pinch spot 4 with one of my nominations, as I have been so in/out of the competition lately so I feel I don't deserve it.

Still, your Hottest 100 thread was a great concept and took me back to my '26 underrated songs from the song contest' that I did years ago, in my early years of the song contest

I avoided podiums and kept it to one song per nommer though.

Belinda Carlisle's Summer Rain stood out as an overlapping choice , as it was nominated back then by two different posters who are no longer active Bigfooty before being renominated much more recently by Purple7x08_24

Remove this Banner Ad

Entertainment & Music Ocha's Hottest 100 Song Contest songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back