Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
It's only 18 months away, and I don't think there will be wholesale changes.

I reckon Hayden and Martyn will be moved on, but the other older guys will still be there.

1. Langer
2. Jacques/Haddin
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Katich
7. Gilchrist/Haddin
8. Warne
9. Lee? Bracken?
10. Tait
11. McGrath

Not sure about Lee. Who would people prefer in the side?

Gilchrist could conceivably retire before then. I hope not, but it's a possibility. In that event, Haddin is the automatic replacement.

Re: The Ashes 2006-07: How will the side look?

Dan Cullen would be a certainty to be part of our best 12 by then. Would play at least in the Adelaide and Sydney tests.

I think Pigeon may retire before then. Wear & tear injuries and age are starting to finally nullify him. Bracken could surprise and get back in the frame with regard to his international career. A good Summer by him and he might be in our starting 11 in 12 months' time.

I would accept Bracken back into the mix if he is swinging the ball but I cant forget his last test,when it went gun barrel straight he was useless

• Banned

pinkus maximus said:
I'd have Watson in there. Ahead of Hussey I'm afraid
What has Watson ever done to warrant selection?

His batting average from last season is miles behind the best batsmen and his bowling numbers are pretty ordinary as well.

Why do we have this fascination with all-rounders?

Watson is not good enough to command a spot as either a bowler or a batsman. The fact that he can do both in a mediocre way does not justify picking him in the Test side.

I'd say

1. Langer
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. M. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Cullen
10. Lee
11. McGrath

12th man - Tait

I think Tait and Lee in the same side is useless, you can't get 90 overs a day out of an attack that has an ageing McGrath/Warne, with no more than 30 overs a day between Lee/Tait.

Tait can come in when Warne/McGrath retires.

• Banned

Sedat! said:
Dan Cullen would be a certainty to be part of our best 12 by then. Would play at least in the Adelaide and Sydney tests.

I think Pigeon may retire before then. Wear & tear injuries and age are starting to finally nullify him. Bracken could surprise and get back in the frame with regard to his international career. A good Summer by him and he might be in our starting 11 in 12 months' time.
Dan Cullen might replace Warne in a few years, but he's no certainty to be in our best 12 while Warne is still around.

How many times have Warne and MacGill bowled together in recent years?

I reckon McGrath will retire after the next Ashes series. He's as fit as he's ever been and was bowling extremely well before stepping on a cricket ball.

milnedog44 said:
How old wil Hodge be?
He'll turn 31 in December 2005.

Hodge is definitely in the mix.

You'd think that Hodge, Hussey, Jacques, Haddin, Katich, Clarke, Hayden and Martyn will compete for four spots this summer.

I reckon Jacques and Hussey will eventually replace Hayden and Martyn, but Haddin and Hodge could leap-frog Katich if he doesn't get his act together. Clarke isn't as secure as he was 6 months ago either.

TigerFan said:
I'd say

1. Langer
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. M. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Cullen
10. Lee
11. McGrath

12th man - Tait
Shudders....

1. Tell me why you would pick Shane Watson ahead of one of our many world-class batsmen waiting for an opportunity i.e. Haddin, Hodge, Jacques.

Pretending that Watson is a genuine all-rounder won't make it so.

2. How many times in the last 10 years have Australia taken two spinners into a test?

TigerFan said:
I'd say

1. Langer
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. M. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Cullen
10. Lee
11. McGrath

Why put Katich to open in your side when M Hussey is a proven opener.

Jacques/Langer
M Hussey
Ponting
Hodge
Katich/D Hussey.
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lewis
McGrath
Tait

Cullen to be second in line spinner by then, and perhaps bowl in tandem with Warne if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Dan Cullen might replace Warne in a few years, but he's no certainty to be in our best 12 while Warne is still around.

How many times have Warne and MacGill bowled together in recent years?

Difference being both are leggies. When Tim May was at his peak, he and Warnie bowled many tests together, and very successfully in tandem. Remember the old "Earl of Twirl/Shiek of Tweek" days.

pointless talking about it,

you dont know whos going to be injured,retired and in and out of form by then.

pinkus maximus said:
I would accept Bracken back into the mix if he is swinging the ball but I cant forget his last test,when it went gun barrel straight he was useless
Good point, but when he does swing it, he can be destructive, like his 7 for 4 against Sth Aust last Summer. He at least adds some varierty to the side. We haven't had a quality leftie since Bruce Reid (BJ most certainly doesn't count).

Langer
Jacques/Hussey?
Ponting
Martyn - i don't think he'll be gone
Clarke
Gilchrist
Hussey/Haddin?
Warne
Cullen
McGrath
Tait

I know Hussey's down the order a bit but i had nowhere else to put him and i think he'll be in the side next Ashes. Hodge could be in the mix as well.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Shudders....

1. Tell me why you would pick Shane Watson ahead of one of our many world-class batsmen waiting for an opportunity i.e. Haddin, Hodge, Jacques.

Pretending that Watson is a genuine all-rounder won't make it so.

2. How many times in the last 10 years have Australia taken two spinners into a test?

1. Shane Watson is a very competent batsman in his own right, and the luxury of 15 overs a day out of one of your middle order is invaluable.

Haddin is not a world class batsman in his own right and won't displace Gilchrist as keeper before the next Ashes series; I've never rated Hodge, EVER; and Jacques is hardly beating down the door.

the only thing Phil Jacques has going for him is his NSW cap.

2. Australia needs to start preparing for post-Warne. Dan Cullen is 985 times better than that hack Cameron White, Stuart MacGill is too old now, let alone in another 18 months time and there's nothing else in the cupboard.

if we don't have 3 world class pace bowlers, why not play 2 spinners and an all-rounder?

Tait is not world class. pace alone does not cut it at test level.

TigerFan said:
because Katich is established in the side, I wouldn't like to throw Hussey in at the deep end.

I wouldnt say that Katich is established IMO. Martyn and Hayden would still be on notice considering their ordinary returns this series, despite being "established" in the side for a number of years.

TigerFan said:
1. Shane Watson is a very competent batsman in his own right, and the luxury of 15 overs a day out of one of your middle order is invaluable.
Watson is nowhere near the top-tier of batsmen pushing for a spot.

His batting numbers are miles behind those of Hodge, Thornely, Hussey, Haddin and Jacques: http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/AUS_LOCAL/PC/STATS/PC_2004-05_BAT_MOST_RUNS.html

He hasn't demonstrated any genuine wicket-taking ability either.

He's an all-rounder in name only. He does a very mediocre job with both bat and ball. That's not enough for him to command a spot.

Langer
Jaques
Clarke
Hussey
Ponting
Watson
Haddin
Warne
Lee/Tait
McGrath
Bracken

12th Tait/Lee or Hodge

Gunnar Longshanks said:
It's only 18 months away, and I don't think there will be wholesale changes.

I reckon Hayden and Martyn will be moved on, but the other older guys will still be there.

1. Langer
2. Jacques/Haddin
3. Ponting
4. Hussey
5. Clarke
6. Katich
7. Gilchrist/Haddin
8. Warne
9. Lee? Bracken?
10. Tait
11. McGrath
Hmmm.... pretty poor effort on my part. The days post-Ashes did some crazy things to all of us.

I'd like to reconsider with the benefits of hindsight and a calmer eye.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hussey
Hodge
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

I think Clarke will be back in the team by then.

I'm not certain that Hodge will be there. He needs to cement his spot.

Bracken will be competing with Tait and MacGill for his spot, but has performed well so far this season.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Hmmm.... pretty poor effort on my part. The days post-Ashes did some crazy things to all of us.

I'd like to reconsider with the benefits of hindsight and a calmer eye.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hussey
Hodge
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

I think Clarke will be back in the team by then.

I'm not certain that Hodge will be there. He needs to cement his spot.

Bracken will be competing with Tait and MacGill for his spot, but has performed well so far this season.
Ifr Hodge is still there he will still be at 4 above Hussey

Bracken? Haha, if he plays then the Aussies shouldnt bother showing up

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Ashes 2006-07 Team Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back