Official Brisbane Lions AFC Facebook Page Fail

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll settle for 4 points on Saturday night.

Wow, you reckon social media is the answer to getting more wins? Facetious, huh?

If you've seen some of the comments on the unofficial page you can probably appreciate why they've disabled Wall comments. They obviously regard FB as an avenue to convey information in a one-way sense. Not so unusual and i think you'll see more organizations using it in this manner.

A couple of the old stagers around here from the old lions.com.au forum will be able to fill us in on why that was shut down. I imagine the club is still a bit burnt from that even though it was 10 years ago.

Not sure where I argued that social media was the key to more wins, facetious, huh?
My point is that this is just another example of poor decisions being made on a very regular basis. In the week that the first Queensland derby is being played the club should be doing everything possible to get as much support as possible and make supporters feel valued and a part of the club. If they don't feel as though they're a part of it then in particularly fickle markets such as Brisbane they will more than likely turn their backs.
Perhaps this is a part of the reason that there are tickets still available for this weekends game? People don't feel as though that this club is "their" club anymore? There should be no excuse for this game not selling out, it should have been sold out 2 weeks ago after the Suns registered their first win. The club needs to be doing everything to garner support and facebook/social media is an important part of this.

Apologies, forgot my emoticons. I was being facetious.

But you seem to have taken what is quite a small thing and taken it to a club-wide tirade. It looks as though people can still comment, just not put their own post up. Quite understandable I would have thought. I can only imagine the amouth of crap that could be posted there, thus distracting from the messages the club is trying to convey. I could go on my own rant about the failings of Web 2.0, but I haven't the time.

Why should this game be sold out? It's not our home game. I'd have thought it was up to the Suns marketing department.

If you saw the pathetic, uninformed and often feral drivel that was written on the wall of the unofficial Brisbane Lions facebook pages, you'll understand why they made this decision.

Nothing wrong with that page. Even if it got taken down, people were allowed to express their opinions (serious cases people would get banned). It is much better than it was before. New admins took control of the page and are looking to further improve it once it is reactivated by Facebook in the coming days.

Looks like it isn't disappearing after all .....

The Ultimate Brisbane Lions Fan Page
*The current “Brisbane Lions” fan page with 29,000 fans will be merged with the official page under the same name, “Brisbane Lions AFC”.

It will be interesting to see how it is moderated in the new guise but at least the club is trying to do the right thing. Looks like the AFL was the bad guy in this one:
It was revealed to us that the page was taken down as the result of Intellectual Property breaches filed by the AFL.

Which shows that people should get their facts straight before they publicly tee-off and level accusations at the club they claim to support. In this case resulting in negative publicity and forcing the club to defend itself from ill-founded criticisms.

Big reason why I couldn't stand that unofficial FaceBook page. The people with the least facts always seemed to shout the loudest. You rarely see these self-titled "passionate" types putting their money where their mouth is and expressing their concerns at an AGM. Just angsty keyboard warriors for the most part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which shows that people should get their facts straight before they publicly tee-off and level accusations at the club they claim to support. In this case resulting in negative publicity and forcing the club to defend itself from ill-founded criticisms.

Big reason why I couldn't stand that unofficial FaceBook page. The people with the least facts always seemed to shout the loudest. You rarely see these self-titled "passionate" types putting their money where their mouth is and expressing their concerns at an AGM. Just angsty keyboard warriors for the most part.

The same people that, when asked to man up and apologise, start pulling limp excuses out of every obtuse angle they can think of.

Learn from your mistakes kiddies.

Looks like it isn't disappearing after all .....

The Ultimate Brisbane Lions Fan Page

It will be interesting to see how it is moderated in the new guise but at least the club is trying to do the right thing. Looks like the AFL was the bad guy in this one:

Sure were. We will keep the Ultimate Page up for those who want to post their ideas that doesn't subject them to censorship. The merger should be finalised very soon and the official page will have an extra 27,000+ members.
We (current admins of unofficial) will co-admin the official page as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Brisbane Lions AFC Facebook Page Fail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back